The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2001, 05:18 AM   #1
mundumugu

handload o.a.l.

I have been confused about so many different data on handloading from diverse manuals.
What is the minimum O.A.L for a handload in .357 mag with 15 grains of H110 and a cast bullet truncated cone of 180 grains?
and for one with 17 grains of same powder and 158 jsp?
Thanks in advance.
Old August 15, 2001, 05:40 PM   #2
JohnK

The actual OAL will depend on the specific bullet you use, not all designs will give you the same result. Generally you will crimp the bullet in the crimp groove instead of worrying about the exact OAL in revolvers.

The loads you're suggesting are above the max published by the powder manufacturers and it would be unwise to use those loads as starters when experimenting with new loads and bullets. The max listed loads that I have for 180 and 158gr bullets and H110 are:

13.5gr of H110 under 180gr bullets

16.7gr of H110 under 158gr bullets

All revolvers are not created equally, even in the same caliber. A 357 Bisley or Redhawk is going to be able to handle a much higher load than a compact 5 shot 357 from S&W or Taurus.

I would suggest starting with 13.0gr of H110 under the 180gr bullets and work up to the accuracy/velocity you want and 16.0gr for the 158gr bullets rather than starting at the loads you have listed.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old August 16, 2001, 01:07 PM   #3
yankytrash

My books show an OAL of 1.59" max for all jacketed loads. Use less to suit your needs. I, personally, usually go less, but I don't get near max charges either.

As for the cast bullet, your starting OAL is really determined by the type of bullet-cast. My book shows lengths as small as 1.5" for some truncated cones. If contacting manufacturers isn't an option (if you're casting your own with antique tools), I'd start at the max of 1.59" and see how it shoots.

And as JohnK said, never start at the max charge.