The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 30, 2011, 12:16 PM   #1
ZVP

Holster modification advice?

I've been looking around for a suitable holster for my new 'Piettia '62 Police model and finally found what I think I need on Cabela's site. They have apair of simple open topped "Western" Slim-Jim styles (one with a center wrap-around strap, one plain). I ordered the center strapped model.
The Holster will have to be shortened to fit the 5 1/2" bbl and I was wondering how hard it is to make an end plug for the holster and how to sew it in? I can dead end the side stitching at the cutoff but would the Holster need to be totally dissambeled to sew in a toe plug?
Cabela's DOES offer a short Slim Jim Holster for the .44 Sheriff models but in reading the Customer Comments, I found that the Holster dosen't fit the diameter of the Cylinders of the Navy guns! The poster claims it dosen't even fit the Sheriff's model either. This holster is also of "Modern" design because it has snaps that hold it together. I'd rather have an old-time style holster for the '62.
Guess that means a Custom Holster or modified factory one is in order...
Please, any advice would be appreciated as this my first Leather Project.
Thanks,
ZVP
Old May 30, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
wogpotter

Is it this one (minus the bear claw medallion & hammer thong which I added)?
I cut mine a little at the top for a better fit then wet-molded it to the pistol using just an X-Acto blade & fine sanding & shoe polishing the cut surfaces.

Just curious but why not shorten it & leave it open ended like the original?
It sounds like this will be much simpler as all you'd need to do is cut & re-tie the stitching to stop it unraveling.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 30, 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
ZVP

That's the one!

Exactlly what I ordered the other day!
Wow, it looks like a really nice piece of leatherwork!
Looks nice and thick.
I like the Bearclaw and Thongs you added! The tiedown is very pratical and the hammer loop looks fully functional and secure.
I was wondering about adding a Hammer loop also.
So far I have really been impressed with the quality of Cabelas holsters. I understand that they are made by Triple-K for Cabela's. The two that I bought are made of first class material and well shaped.
You're probablly right about leaving the bottom open, it'd be the easiest way to do the modification. I often get carried-away and try and make things too fancy...
Thanks for the advice and for the clear pictures of your Holster.
ZVP
Old May 31, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
wogpotter

Thea debate about open/closed bottom holsters that's been going on for ever. The closed school thinks dirt is kept out, the open group is worried about the bottom becoming a projectile if there is an ad/nd of a holstered pistol.

The strap is secured in the back by 2 snap fasteners, so it's easy to get at & modify. What I did was pop off the strap, find a medallion (actually a button from the local craft store) punch a hole push the button loop through & secure it with a wire covered in glued on thin leather shim material. The tie down is just a thong looped through the strap & tied off to the right length. I used the rest of the thong (a leather bootlace from the supermarket) to make the holster tie down as well.

These holsters are chrome tanned BTW. I soaked mine in warm water with some baking soda in it for about 3 hours to remove the harmful tan by-products, wet molded it to the pistol & then re-"oiled" it with clear shoe polish. The water turns deep purple if you do this so don't panic when you see that happen.

These are great blank slates to work on for a custom look.

Old June 4, 2011, 01:08 PM   #5
ZVP

wogpotter,
I got the Holster yesterday WOW! A very thick piece of leather, shaped into a perfect size for the '62 Colt frame!
I was hoping that since this was a Triple-K product, that it would be as well made and nice as my other Triple-K products and this one is no dissapointment! The finish applied to the leather is very smooth (Chrome Tanning?) and gives the thick leather Holster a real finished appearance! The color of the leather matches my Civil War Holster Belt very closely. The Brown color gives the rig an informal look that goes with both modern and period clothing.
I especally like the "Mexican Loop" design and the tight fit of the loop leather.
When I get time and feel steady-handed, I'll cut the end down to my revolver's proper barrel length. I need to "stop" the side stitching before cutting though.
This holster is just what I wanted to pack this Piettia Police in!
ZVP
Old June 4, 2011, 02:44 PM   #6
wogpotter

Glad you like it.
If you look at the top of mine, compared to yours you'll see where I removed a bit of the front & "ears" by the cylinder & hammer. Maybe you won't need to as you have the Colt, not the Remington.
Quick note: If you do the wet block soak it will change the color slightly, removing a tad of "bluish-purple" from the brown & making it a little more brown. If the match is good for the belt & it fits your Colt pistol I'd think twice before soaking.

Old June 7, 2011, 10:15 PM   #7
ZVP

I see the portion that you removed. I don't think it will be necessary with my Police Model to remove any leather there. However, when fully set in the Holster, the Hammer just touches the top of the leather.
My Trigger guard fits the trigger guard slot just like your Remmie does.
mI have been looking at the thickness of the Leather that I have to remove and I think a very sharp knife will do the job just fine. Soon as I have time to get started, I'm going to make a pratice cut of about 1/3 of the material I need to cut, just to get the "feeling" of making the cut.
Thanks a whole lot for all your advice! I know this is just a simple project for you experienced guys but it's my FIRST Leather work ever!
I really appreciate the coaching!
ZVP