The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which one for winter carry?
Glock 33(.357 sig) 26 42.62%
Glock 29(10mm) 36 59.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 18, 2011, 07:07 PM   #26
Dashunde

Oh.. and Officers Match... Get rid of Ernies sissy Wave knife and get yourself a Sebenza or Strider or Hinderer.
Haha.. couldnt resist.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:40 PM   #27
brabham78

Glockfan35, I'm not sure about the legal aspects of what some others are talking about, but they may very well be right. But from an objective "ballistics" point of view..........

......I mentioned a G20 to you, but it was more in humor than anything else. The 10mm round is over-kill for SD purposes. When it comes to the power of a handgun, more is not always better, and the 10mm round has way more power than is wise for self-defense purposes........ and way more than is needed for the vast majority of LE purposes.

The more traditional calibers (9mm, .40, .45..... and even .357 sig) are good at what they do because they occupy that "sweet spot" between too much - and not enough. The ballistic performance of a 10mm pistol round more closely resembles that of 44 Magnum than it does the traditional SD/LE calibers. A round that is more at home bringing down a charging 800 lb bear, does not make for a wise choice when it comes to self defense against a relatively fragile human predator.

It's best to pick the right tool for the job, and for the job of self defense (in the vicinity of any populated area), 10mm isn't the right tool. It's a VERY powerful pistol cartridge that is put to better use in wide open spaces, against much more robust targets.

Your 9mm G26 is a fine year around carry gun/caliber. If you feel like just owning a 10mm for the fun of it or if you'll be tramping around out in the Rocky Mt wilderness, then a 10mm makes sense. I've been thinking of getting a G20 for quite while now, but I'd never even consider using it as a carry round - at least not if I have other guns/calibers that are better suited for that purpose, which I do. I just want to have a 10mm pistol for shooting fun, and possibly for the occasional hiking trip out west.

As far as .357 sig? It'll work well, much like 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp does. I'm not sure I'd bother with it though. Your G26 is a good year around SD package.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #28
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
.I mentioned a G20 to you, but it was more in humor than anything else. The 10mm round is over-kill for SD purposes. When it comes to the power of a handgun, more is not always better, and the 10mm round has way more power than is wise for self-defense purposes........ and way more than is needed for the vast majority of LE purposes.
So why is a lower power 10mm worse off than a +p .40?
Not all 10mm is loaded to the bear killer stats.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:02 PM   #29
Dashunde

There is no such thing as +p 40 as far as I know, all 40 should be standard pressure, although some may push the edge.

Using a gofast 10mm is simply over-kill (literally) and it will not go unnoticed by those who want to see you fry for carrying.
I'll say it again.. use what your local PD uses. You are faultless with that.

Last edited by Dashunde; April 19, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:05 PM   #30
stormyone

For winter carry, I would carry whatever had the heaviest round. Heavier rounds will give you the penetration you need when people are wearing more clothes.

In this case, I would go with the 10MM
Old April 18, 2011, 11:11 PM   #31
alabama

If i were you i would carry ur glock 26 all year. The .357 sig is not much more powerfull then a good 9mm load. I say step all the way up and get the full size glock 20. The 9mm .357 sig .40 and .45 all do the same thing a little different they will all work good for defense. The 10mm is in a whole different category. I wouldnt use it for ccw. Its more for an outdoorsman I hunt deer with mine. I only use it when i go in the woods. I carry my glock 23 for everything else. I want a glock 26 i think its about perfect for ccw. I had a glock 27 but traded it for the 23. I would rather carry a 9mm sub compact faster follow up shots. I think ur glock 26 will be hard to beat.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:33 PM   #32
HighValleyRanch

maybe not officially, but....

Quote:
There is no such thing as +p 40 as far as I know, all 40 should be standard pressure, although some may push the edge.
From the BB website:
"Heavy .40 +P Smith and Wesson"
Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Ammo - 155 gr. (1,300 fps/M.E. 582 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=25
Old April 19, 2011, 04:43 AM   #33
Glockfan35

To Dasuhnde:

All the local LEO's in my area carry .40 Glocks, which even though I really like the 10mm, I've never really cared for the 40s&w (short&weak, I think not!). So, I'll probably just stay with my current EDC and stockup on ammo so I can practice,practice,practice!
Old April 19, 2011, 07:29 AM   #34
Officer's Match

Quote:
Oh.. and Officers Match... Get rid of Ernies sissy Wave knife and get yourself a Sebenza or Strider or Hinderer.
Haha.. couldnt resist.
What? A bear-exploding Hinderer? Nah, I'll stick with the Emersissyson so the local DA won't stalk me.
Old April 19, 2011, 08:05 AM   #35
Dashunde

What gun is rated for +P 40?
Old April 19, 2011, 10:11 AM   #36
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
What gun is rated for +P 40?
Glock 29 or 30 with an aftermarket KKM or LWD barrel with fully supported chambers.
IIRC Buffalo Bore uses glocks for testing their loads.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; April 19, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old April 19, 2011, 11:50 AM   #37
SRH78

I am not a lawyer and none of this should be taken as legal advice but...

Since when is the 10mm this all powerful bear stopping round? Even loaded to it's potential it doesn't exceed what the 357 magnum is capable of and most factory loads are nothing more than a warmed over 40 S&W. Anyone who thinks this is a grizzly stopper is delusional.

I understand people being concerned about overzealous prosecutors but the 10mm is, and was designed to be, a self defense cartridge. Imo, it is a very good cartridge for that purpose. For those who suggest carrying what the local LEO's carry, fine but I doubt they are carrying 357 Sigs either. Personally, having one less potential legal issue is the only reason I have any factory ammo at all, other than rimfire ammo.

Also, if you don't feel endangered enough that it becomes necessary to take someone's life in order to stop them, you shouldn't be pulling the trigger in the first place. Shooting to wound someone absolutely will leave you very vulnerable in court. It is called lethal force for a reason. Once it gets to that point, your goal should be to end the threat as quickly as possible before any harm comes to yourself or your loved ones. Someone shot in the chest with a lesser caliber will end up just as dead. The question is, will it stop them in time?

As for the original question, I think both are very good choices and I don't think you could go wrong with either one but I would personally go with the 10mm. It is hard to argue against a larger bore. I believe it is a more versatile round, easier to handload if that applies, has slightly better stopping power, and while not in the same class as a large revolver, is arguably the best of the semiauto calibers for use in the woods.
Old April 19, 2011, 01:37 PM   #38
Glockfan35

That's what I was thinking!

Given that I've already got some non-combat experience with the G29, I need to get both calibers at some point! I just can't get it anytime soon!
Old April 20, 2011, 02:06 AM   #39
skeeter

SRH78 -- The 10mm definitely exceeds the 357mag's power! Factory Double Taps run at 750 ft/lbs of energy, way more than any 357mag. There is no need for another type of barrel as my DT rounds do not bulge the cases at all in my 29SF. The 10mm can be anything from a bear stopper ( with Double Taps 200 and 230gr bullets) to an equal to a 40SW/45ACP+P depending on the load you choose. Hornady's 155, 180 and 200 gr rounds are all very mild at about 525 ft/lbs about the same as a 40SW Silver Tip. The Hornady's are very good SD rounds with fast recovery times.
Those who think the 357Sig is equal to a 9mm+p are just wrong. If that were the case there would be no need to invent the 357Sig. The only possible advantage of the bottleneck 357Sig is that theoretically it should be more reliable in feeding as is the case for any bottlenose cartridge though I have yet to have a jam with my Delta Elite and 29SF after many 1000's of rounds. With the right rounds the 10mm will do anything the 40SW, 357Sig or 41 Mag will do. The DT 125gr Nolser does 1600 ft/sec out of a 4.9" barrel way more than a 357Sig.
I would get the 29SF over any other Glock and carry the Glock 20 15 round mags as spares.
Old April 20, 2011, 10:25 AM   #40
SRH78

Double Tap's 200 grain 357 load is 775 ft-lbs. As far as Grizzly's go, that is a pea shooter. Black Bears are a different matter.

As for the 10mm being a versatile and potent self defense cartridge, that I agree with.

Last edited by SRH78; April 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old April 20, 2011, 10:25 AM   #41
HighValleyRanch

Not exactly

Quote:
Factory Double Taps run at 750 ft/lbs of energy, way more than any 357mag.
Although that is true for most common .357, they can be loaded quite hot as well. Check out Buffalo Bore's hot load:

SKU: 19A/20
Heavy 357 Magnum Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=20

Quote:
Since when is the 10mm this all powerful bear stopping round? Even loaded to it's potential it doesn't exceed what the 357 magnum is capable of and most factory loads are nothing more than a warmed over 40 S&W. Anyone who thinks this is a grizzly stopper is delusional.
I think that when most people are considering the .357 or 10mm for their woods guns, it is not where they are likely to encounter grizzlies, but more where there are smaller black bears and mountain lions.
Old April 20, 2011, 10:48 AM   #42
SRH78

HVR, I agree with you.

My comments were in regards to a post above that referred to stopping a charging 800 pound bear and 800 pounds would obviously be a Grizzly or a Brown.

Tags
10mm , 357 sig , glock , winter carry