The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
roy reali

Primer Thickness

Are there some primers that are constructed thinner then others? In other words, they don't need as heavy of a firing pin strike as others.

The reason that I am asking concerns an older revolver that I just started to reload for. Once in awhile, a round will fail to ignite. The rounds all have very light firing pin indentations in them wether they fire or not. The hammer is not striking with all that much force.

I am now using CCI primers for it. If there are thinner ones, which ones would they be. If not, can the hammer be made stronger.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 12, 2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Foxman

I would try Remington primers, I have always found them to be slightly softer than the CCI ones and Winchester.
Old March 12, 2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Goldy

Federal by all means. Many thousands of rounds in Bianchi Cup matches with double action , tuned revolvers and only a couple of missfires with Federal.

Goldy
Old March 12, 2006, 05:50 PM   #4
roy reali

Re:foxman And Goldy

So, from your two replies I take that CCI primers are thicker. Is that an accurate assumption?
Old March 12, 2006, 07:27 PM   #5
JoeHatley

I think the primer cup is very similar between brands. It's the compound where the differences really are.

Joe
Old March 12, 2006, 07:30 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Federal pistol primers have both a more sensitive priming compound AND a softer or thinner cup metal. (I loaded some top end handbook 9mm P with Federals ans scared myself over the cratered primers. Same load with any other brand looked normal.) They are your best chance for reliable ignition.
Old March 12, 2006, 07:31 PM   #7
roy reali

Re: Joehatley

So, does this mean that changing primers might not solve the problem? I realize a gunsmith's visit might be needed. I just wanted to try the primer thing first.
Old March 13, 2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Foxman

I have found the CCi take a heavier strike to fire than Rem primers, I would also +1 on the Federals being slightly more sensitive. Give it a go youve nothing to lose only price of 50 carton of each primer and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old March 13, 2006, 10:26 AM   #9
roy reali

Re:experiment

Could I not just resize some cases and just add a primer to them? Then I could run them through the revolver to see if there is any change in ignition reliability.

This would save me a trip to the range. The nearest range is at a distance that makes it impratical except on weekends.

How loud is a round with just a primer? Is there a way to muffle the sound so as not to disturb the neighborss?
Old March 13, 2006, 10:44 AM   #10
Leftoverdj

Sure, you can do the testing with just the primer. Sound is nearly as loud as a .22, though.

Provide some cover noise, music on, vaccum cleaner running, anything like that, and do your shooting inside a taped up cardboard box with a hand hole cut in it.
Old March 13, 2006, 10:47 AM   #11
mete

Hardly any noise with just the primer. The primer cup can be of different thickness but different hardness too. There are specs but I can't find them .For firing pin protrusion [ about .060"], firing pin radius, and firing pin force [inch/ounces ? ] to set off a primer.
Old March 13, 2006, 10:49 AM   #12
roy reali

Re:leftoverdj

We have an in wall, block fireplace. I am thinking of using that. It should muffle most of the sound.

Are there any harmful fumes from shooting primers only?
Old March 13, 2006, 10:51 AM   #13
JoeHatley

Quote:
So, does this mean that changing primers might not solve the problem?
What gun are you having light hits with? Switching to Federal primers may help, but you probably should address the gun first.

Joe
Old March 13, 2006, 10:55 AM   #14
roy reali

Re:joehatley

It is an old, Hopkins and Allen in .38S&W. The gun is in near new condition. The locking latch is solid, so it appears safe to shoot.

Like I mentioned earlier, I took the gun to the range. Every once in awhile a round would not go off. Looking at the primers, the dent is hardly apparent. So I either need easier to ignite primers if they exist, or take the gun to a gunsmith.

I do appreciate all the help I am getting here.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:06 AM   #15
Leftoverdj

Depends on the revolver and your skill level. Many of the older revolvers have a spring tension screw near the bottom of the grip on the front side. Those screws frequently back out and tightening it may be all you need. You may also be able to increase spring tension by putting a thin metal shim between the screw and the spring.

Replacement springs are available for many of the older guns and available springs can sometimes be modified to work in other guns. Making a spring from scratch is a real trick without professional heat treating equipment.
Old March 14, 2006, 07:48 PM   #16
roy reali

More Info

I just compared the primer indentation of one of my .38S&W cases and one of my 9mm cases. The .38's dent is slightly shallower. But it is also much wider. Could there be a problem with the firing pin?
Old March 14, 2006, 08:44 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Sure. Why not? It could be worn. Try checking the H&A's firing pin protrusion. Also, check that the cylinder doesn't shove forward enough to avoid a good pin strike. A shim washer is often need in S&W's to correct cylinder position. Make sure the latch really is holding and isn't hopping and letting the mechanism move forward. Make sure your modern brass's rims aren't too thin by checking that the case heads don't recess down in too far when you load them. These could all cause inadequate strike depth.

Many primers, including the Federals still use lead compounds for their superior sensitivity and reliability. There are lead vapors as a result, however, so keep the fumes away from small children and pregnant women.

Primer loudness depends on the shape of the resonator you fire them in. In a revolver they will be louder than a rifle, and about like a loud cap gun. They are, when you think about it, just exactly that. But the caps have been renamed "primers" to distinguish them from black powder caps for cap nipples.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 14, 2006, 11:15 PM   #18
roy reali

Back To The Drawing Board?

I took two new cases and primed them. They both went off perfectly even though the primer dent seems the same. Can a new case versus a once fired case have anything to do with this?

I do think I will have a gunsmith give this gun the once over anyway. I have another gun to take in so I'll have him look at this one too.
Old March 15, 2006, 01:16 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Take your cases with you so he can see the firing pin indentations.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 15, 2006, 11:36 PM   #20
onlybrowning

I too agree with addressing the gun, but if it is any consolidation, I assume Federal is a slightly more sensitive primer because the lee hand primer I have does not recommend use of them in their product for fear of explosion. Some handpriming tools will give maximum numbers of primers they want in the tray, so that MAY be an indication, but I am not sure...