The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 4, 2005, 06:53 PM   #1
frag

re-parkerizing

I have a couple old milsurps that have the finish scratched or wearing off. Is there a way to touch up the parkerized finish?
Old January 4, 2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Not really.
Cold blues aren't very good to start with, for anything other than touching up small scratches and worn areas, and the blue color doesn't blend in very well with the gray-black parkerizing.

However, cold blue is about all that's available, so try that.

About the only other choice is getting one of the paints used for firearms refinishing and using it to touch up the areas, or having the gun refinished.
Old January 5, 2005, 06:26 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

reblue or repark

You can clean and degrease the whole gun and then use oxpho Blue gel to refinnish the guns. I have done this before and it works well as long as you follow the instrctions. You can always blue over the park. As far as redoing the park, is that an option you could handle? It shouldn't be that much to blast it and have it parked.
Old January 6, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4
frag

That's what I'm trying to figure out... Is it too much for me to handle? Sounds like it probably is. I just want to touch up some scratches and worn areas. I think I'll try the paint for the sling swivels, butt pad,etc... and the cold blue to touch up the receiver and barrel. I really don't want to do a full blown restoration. Just trying to clean them up a little and make them more presentable. Thanks for the info. I'll look in to the oxpho Blue Gel.
Old January 6, 2005, 12:57 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

restore completely

If you start touching up a lot of scratches on a parked gun, the rest of the gun won't match. The bluing will change the color. I would check into having it completely redone. Does this gun have sentimental value or collector's value? You could have a moly fiinish, or a Lauer Custom finish sprayed on or a good smith could park it for you at a reasonable cost.
Old January 7, 2005, 12:43 PM   #6
rbthntr64

Reparking

Frag,
Reparking is your only solution for a good finish. I recommend Mel Doyle gunsmithing in Idaho. He has a 3 day turnaround and discounts his services if you send the rifle disassembled. His bluing services are excellent also.
Here is his schedule out of the latest SGN;
Hot Bluing: Matt or factory polish $70; High Gloss $80. Deduct $10 for disassembled guns. Totally prepared guns $35. Parkerizing $70. Barrel fluting
$90. Muzzle brakes $105. Both include rebluing barrel. 2-3 day turnaround time. Add $9 for S&H. AK/HI $15. NRA Lifer. 35 years experience. Visa/MC.
Mel Doyle Gunsmithing 401 Milwaukee Rd. St. Maries, ID 83861. Phone or Fax
208-245-3006. E-mail [email protected].
Tell him Dave Jones from Missouri sent you!
Good luck
Old January 7, 2005, 06:57 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Save your ducats and let more finish wear off. C'mon, you don't have to keep a working tool pristine. I'd let it go for another 10 years and then re-analyze it.
Old January 7, 2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Handy

Is there a chemical strip for park, or just sanding?
Old January 7, 2005, 07:04 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Beadblast it. Parkerizing requires a rough surface.