The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 30, 2004, 02:14 PM   #1
Sunraze

Mossberg 500A problem

Hello,
I purchased a 12 gauge 500 persuader with the cruiser hand grip at my
local gun shop, on 12/14/04. At the same time I purchased a buttstock from Advanced Technology to attach.

I put this under the christmas tree without using it and finally got
around to (attempting to) firing some shots thru it yesterday
(12/29/04) at the indoor range (at the same Local gun shop I purchased it from). This is when I ran across a problem, first I loaded it with 5 shells and got ready to fire it. I took off the safety and tried to chamber a shell, but when I pressed the trigger it just clicked. Tried again and again and no
shells coming up from the magazine.

I then had one of the employees come over and try, they also could not
get a shell to come out. He then went and asked the gunsmith to look
at it, who said " I'm not sure how to fix it?"
Something about the piece that releases the shells from the magazine
being too tight and not letting them go. The employee and manager told
me my only option was to leave the gun for service from the gunsmith,
and that they'd "try" to get to it in a couple of days and that they
were "backed up and some repairs had been waiting 2 months".

I don't see how that's my fault and I've never had the chance to shoot
my new Mossberg!

Can you give me any guidance here? Should I ask for a refund, or a
replacement? I don't want to wait 2 months for my gun to be fixed, it's
supposed to work right out of the box.

Any advise would be appreciated
Old December 31, 2004, 04:01 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, it is not your fault, and it may not be the shop's either. I can't see how changing the stock could affect the shell release, but you did put on a part that was not there when you bought the gun, which kind of muddies the waters when it comes to who is responsible.

First, take off any thing you put on the gun and restore it to the same configuration it had at the time you bought it. If it still doesn't work, they should fix it free of charge. Under normal conditions, they should put that gun at the top of the list, since they sold the gun. IMO, I don't think a couple of days or a week is bad at all, if they stick to it. I don't know what your relations are with the shop, but if they are good, don't let this get out of hand and spoil things.

You can try a fix yourself if you have any mechanical talent, but know that doing so will void any warranty, manufacturer's or shop's.

Jim
Old January 2, 2005, 02:15 AM   #3
mikikanazawa

The mechanism that releases the cartridge from the mag tube (in the Mossberg 500s) is very simple. When you rack the slide, the movement of the bolt aft presses a curved strip of metal away from the cartridge rim, allowing the mag spring to pop the cartridge into the receiver.

The two little metal strips that are stuck inside the receiver walls are the cartridge stops. Make sure they're straight and installed correctly. They should just fall out when you remove the bolt and the bolt slide. If they don't pop out or if they're binding, they could just be installed incorrectly or maybe bent.

The mechanism is so simple I just can't imagine it not working, unless you have a defective part or something.
Old January 2, 2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Sunraze

Thank You

Awesome help guys,
Thanks,
Sunraze
Old January 5, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5
mnrivrat

Not releasing from the magazine likely means that the left side shell stop needs slight adjustment. This stop is operated by the slide action bar when moved to the rear. When engaging it moves the stop out of the way of the magazine tube allowing the shell to release from the mag tube.

A 5 to 10 minute tops adjustment by anyone remotely identifiable as a gunsmith.
Old January 5, 2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Sunraze

My fault....

Well,
I received a call from the gunsmith yesterday and he asks me if I was the one who put the new buttstock on the shotgun in place of the handgrip. I acknowledged that I removed the hex screw and put on the buttstock. He asked me where I got the bolt to hold on the buttstock as it needed to be almost 6 inches long to reach from the mount inside the buttstock to the back of the receiver where the small 2" hex screw came out. I got it at Home Depot and it was threaded exactly as the original. He tells me that I tightened the bolt too much and it broke the trigger safety inside and caused all sort of problems internally. I never imagined that you could tighten it too much, but I guess I did.
So he said he'll have it fixed in a week after recievieving some replacement parts.

Lesson learned, leave stuff to the pro's.
thanks for trying to help me everyone.