The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2007, 03:24 PM   #1
pdh

Rem 1100 Malfuction

Gents...I was out shooting trap with my Remington 1100 the other day. I was having some malfuctions....action not closing and locking up. I think I know why this happened....I coated the mag tube with a thin layer of "shooters choice grease"....would this have caused my problems? Have not been out to the range since.
Just a thin coat up 'Brake Free' be best to use?....if....not anything?

Thanks
Old June 25, 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
JWT

The grease on the mag tube very likely is what caused the problem. I'd clean if off and put it back together without any lube, or if any, just a very thin application of Rem oil or something similar. The 1100 instruction book specifies lube for the trigger assembly but is pretty much silent on any other lubrication and warns about excessive lube.

The trigger assembly is about the only part of my 1100 I've lubed and I've never had any problems with it.
Old June 25, 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
pdh

Thank you very much......JWT
Old June 25, 2007, 06:29 PM   #4
BigJimP

On any gas gun you have to keep them very clean and lubed or they will not cycle. The 1100's are good guns but they are notoriously "sticky" if you don't thoroughly clean them and lube them every 5 or 6 boxes at the most. I have buddies that shoot the 1100's competitively - and they even lube them in between squads of skeet or trap - or after about every 4 stations on a sporting clays course ( a little break free ususally ). If we shoot in a morning session and later in an afternoon session - they will tear them down and clean them in between sessions ( especially if it's real dusty or real cold ).

I wouldn't use any grease on it - Break Free is fine. I use break free on all my semi-autos shotguns and handguns. Alternatives are Gun Butter, Wilson Combat's oil, Remington Oil and Rig Oil are also good products in my view.
Old June 26, 2007, 01:00 AM   #5
hoytinak

I had the same problem with my 1100 out pheasant hunting one morning...I took it apart and noticed the action was gummed up. Guess I put too much CLP in it...well I wiped everything off put it back together and didn't have a problem the rest of the day.
Old June 26, 2007, 08:21 AM   #6
pdh

Thanks Gents...hoytinak...thanks big time for the service of our Country...come back safe........
Old June 26, 2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Ruger4570

I have seen this happen many time to some shooters. I generally put a couple of small drops of Rem oil on the tube, spread it around and wipe off most of it. I want just enough to prevent rust.
Old July 9, 2007, 09:14 AM   #8
island66

Those mag tubes should be kept dry...no lubrication necessary. If you have to lube it, try a non-petroleum lube like Remington's Dri-Lube. Good luck

Jason