The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 3, 2014, 10:38 PM   #1
ThomasT

Aquila And PPU Ammo Experience

I am on the list to be notified when 25acp ammo from Aquila and Privi Partizan PPU ammo is in stock. Have any of you folks had any experience with these two brands of ammo?

The seller is Aim Surplus. Are they reliable dealers?

I found 25acp ammo in stock a couple of days ago for around $15 a box but I'll be danged if I can remember who it was that was selling it. I thought it was Aim Surplus but the site looks completely different. And I have google searched online sellers and can't for the life of me find that site again.

Thanks for your help.
Old September 3, 2014, 10:43 PM   #2
overthere

Don't know about 25 ACP but both Aguila and PPU are well established brands. I have shot plenty PPU in 9mm and 45 ACP without issues. I have no personal experience with Aguila but it seems to be a popular brand.
Old September 4, 2014, 12:39 AM   #3
Gary L. Griffiths

I got 1,000 rds of PPU .223 Match ammo. It all goes Bang, doesn't give me any problems, but is a little more inconsistent than I would like match ammo to be.

AIM surplus is great to deal with. I've had nothing but good luck with them, both over the counter and on Internet purchases. They've always treated me right.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 4, 2014, 07:58 AM   #4
wogpotter

PPU is good stuff, better than most of RemChesters current offerings.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 4, 2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Mosin-Marauder

Aguila Super Extras run superbly in my 10/22. Of course, I'm not one to leave a rifle in a condition beyond dirty, but not FTE's, no FTF's, and no Failure to feed's. I have some 7.62x54R ammo that was made by Prvi that is corrosive surplus heavy ball that shoots awful. Im sure current production stuff is great though.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 4, 2014, 08:27 AM   #6
CowTowner

I've used Aguila ammo for 22LR, 9mm, 38 Super, 40 Short & Wimpy and 45 ACP. I have also used Privi in both rifles and pistols. Either brand functioned as expected and caused no issues.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 4, 2014, 11:46 AM   #7
carguychris

Both brands work perfectly in my .25 ACP Beretta 950BS Jetfire, and I've also had nothing but good experiences with AIM Surplus.

A nicety of PPU and Aguila .25 ACP is that it's packaged tightly in very small boxes that seem specific to the cartridge, rather than in larger generic boxes with Styrofoam trays inside. Consequently, the boxes are about 1/3 the size of RemChester boxes, and they take up much less space in my cabinet.

FWIW another good brand of .25 ACP ammo that runs inexpensive is PMC from South Korea.

Last edited by carguychris; September 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: reword
Old September 4, 2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Technosavant

I very much like PPU and Aguila ammo. I'll buy it without any problems... and I have.

And when I buy it, I often buy it from AIM Surplus (even though I'm not all that interesting a person). Never had a bad experience buying from them- in fact, I usually check them FIRST.
Old September 4, 2014, 02:50 PM   #9
ThomasT

Thanks for the replies. Now if they would just send an email alert telling me its in stock I will order a couple hundred rounds. And Carguychris I have the same 950BS. Cool little gun.

I just went to walmart and they had remington 25 auto and it was near $22 a box. So can can wait to save about $7-8 a box for the Aquila or PPU.

I am on sort of on a mouse gun kick right now and have also bought an Iver Johnson TP-22 off GB. Hopefully it will be here by the middle of next week. At least 22 is cheap to shoot. Plus I have a large stash of 22 ammo.

I had one of the TP-22 many years ago and regret selling it. I never had one single malfunction with it. And it was decently accurate. What makes me sell guns like that? I know, I'm a dummy.
Old September 4, 2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
And when I buy it, I often buy it from AIM Surplus (even though I'm not all that interesting a person).
Do I hear a reference to the Dos Equis commercials?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 5, 2014, 10:25 AM   #11
kilimanjaro

Someone on here has the handle:

"I don't often get to the range, but when I do, I prefer Dos AKs"

That would make a great photo poster.
Old September 5, 2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Mosin-Marauder

I need a T-Shirt of that. Now.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 5, 2014, 12:13 PM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
Now if they would just send an email alert telling me [that PPU or Aguila are] in stock I will order a couple hundred rounds.
I just checked- their website says they have PPU!
Old September 5, 2014, 03:18 PM   #14
ThomasT

Carguy I just ordered 5 boxes. Thanks for the heads up. You are better at notifying me than Aim is.

Even with shipping that saved me over $30 if buying from walmart.
Old September 5, 2014, 03:26 PM   #15
chiefr

I used Aquila in 22LR and it was surefire and about equal to WW & RP.

IMHO, PPU is superior to both WW, FC, and RP. I have blasted may different calibers of PPU and find it superior.
Not only is PPU more accurate and consistent, their brass is close to Norma and Lapua in quality and a much better choice than WW & RP.
Old September 5, 2014, 03:28 PM   #16
ThomasT

Thanks Chiefr. If I could have ever found 500 brass and 500 bullets in stock I would have bought dies and loaded my own. Thats the bad thing about autos is that they do their damndest to throw your brass away. I hate losing brass.

Last edited by ThomasT; September 5, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old September 5, 2014, 09:46 PM   #17
SC4006

I've used plenty of PPU 7.62x54R and it seems like good quality ammo.

Quote:
Someone on here has the handle:

"I don't often get to the range, but when I do, I prefer Dos AKs"

That would make a great photo poster.
That used to be apart of my signature .

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old September 5, 2014, 09:50 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

The PPU handgun ammo (10mm) I have shot was very accurate. I had no problems with malfunctions but it seemed that the ammo was very lightly loaded.
Old September 6, 2014, 08:03 AM   #19
geetarman

I found a bunch of Aguila .22 at the lgs and bought a couple of bricks. It is higher velocity than most of the stuff I run through my rifles. I get pretty consistent small groups with that as well as Center X, Lapua Standard, and Wolf when I run it through a CZ452 or Ruger M7722. When I shoot in an Anschutz MPR64 the Aguila is just all over the place. Don't quite understand why the one target .22 that I own would have such an aversion to this ammo and my other bolt .22s seem to run it fine.

I am finding out the CZ and the Ruger are VERY capable at 50 yards. In some cases more capable than the Annie.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 7, 2014, 09:11 AM   #20
skoro

I've used PPU .25acp ammo and it's excellent.

I've shot a LOT of Aguila, but all 22LR, and it's good ammo, too. I wouldn't hesitate to try their centerfire offerings.
Old September 8, 2014, 10:47 PM   #21
Unlicensed Dremel

Aguila rimfire is generally pretty good, ranging from mediocre to very good.
Old September 9, 2014, 02:08 AM   #22
Webleymkv

I've shot a little bit of Aguila and it seemed like good range ammo (it was all FMJ practice-type stuff). I've shot more PPU in both rifle and handgun calibers and was also generally satisfied with it. As JohnKSa noted, their 10mm ammo is loaded a bit on the light side though for practice ammo that isn't really a problem. I did notice that their .32 Auto ammunition seems to function more reliably in European guns than U.S. made ammo like Remington and Winchester does (my Walther PP in particular seems to like European made ammo like S&B, Fiocchi, or PPU as I get occasional FTE's with Remington or Winchester FMJ).
Old September 12, 2014, 08:48 PM   #23
ThomasT

Today I receiver the 250 rounds of PPU that I ordered. Its nice looking ammo and if it shoots half as well as it looks I will be happy. This gives me 400 rounds of 25 auto. That should hold me for a while no more than I shoot this gun.

Just a couple of days ago my new to me Iver Johnson TP-22 came in. That gives me a mini gun to practice with. I had one of these many years ago and still can't remember why I sold it. It never jammed or misfired. Thats OK. I have a replacement.

I am sort of on a mini gun kick right now. I want to get another Kel-Tec 32 or a Ruger SR-22. I have lots of 22 ammo. Cheap and fun to shoot.