The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 13, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Carbine On White Tail in Ohio

And my 460 Encore pistol is just about to the front of the line at my local smith...
Now I will just have to get a matching rifle barrel... or a 454 Casull Puma.
Or bump up a rifle to 460 conversion project. Who knows how much this will cost me.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys." -- Cleopatra

Old April 14, 2014, 01:30 PM   #3
buck460XVR

My oldest boy, after being thoroughly impressed with the accuracy of my .460 X-Frame revolver, bought an Encore Pro-Hunter with a .460 Katahdin barrel. Tried for two years to find an accurate load for it other than .45 Colt. It not only was inaccurate, but brutal to shoot, even with loads quite pleasant to shoot outta the X-Frame. He finally gave up and traded it in on a 1911. My suggestion to anyone going to buy carbine in a handgun caliber to hunt whitetail deer with, would be a Ruger 77/44 with a 2X7 scope. I hunt with a P.C. .460 Compensated Hunter and a 77/44 and both are extremely accurate out to 200 yards. If one of them can't get it done, I need to stay home.
Old April 14, 2014, 03:05 PM   #4
NCummins

I thought Ohio was bow, muzzle loader, and shotgun only for deer? Maybe just the southern part of the state where I hunt?
Old April 14, 2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCummins View Post
I thought Ohio was bow, muzzle loader, and shotgun only for deer? Maybe just the southern part of the state where I hunt?

New regs just passed to include pistol caliber rifles. Basically anything that was legal in pistols before is now legal in a "rifle" platform.
Old April 15, 2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Jay24bal

Quote:
New regs just passed to include pistol caliber rifles. Basically anything that was legal in pistols before is now legal in a "rifle" platform.
I am also in OH, but I do not have much knowledge of the new regs yet. But it was explained to me by an ODNR Officer at the range I shoot at that all straight-walled rifle cartridges will be allowed as well.

Please check on this and do not take my word for it. I have not looked into it as I will most likely stick with my 12 gauge rifled slug gun.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old April 15, 2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Kimber84

Scroll down and you'll see the list of approved cartridges.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/strai...iled-deer-ohio
Old April 15, 2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Jay24bal

Thanks Kimber, that makes it pretty easy.

I may finally have a reason to buy a Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W now other than the "fun factor." Although, at this point I think I will stick my slugs.

Old April 16, 2014, 08:06 AM   #9
Hal

Man, if this had only happened 30 or so years ago...

Oh well, at the very least I'm glad for everybody that can take advantage of the new law.

Too many years of cigarettes has taken it's toll and I can't get around much any more.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:31 AM   #10
Doyle

Holy crap, that is a seriously anti-gun hunting state. They allow 2 days for antlerless ML, 4 days for antlered ML, and 7 days for gun (plus an extra 2 day youth gun). That's it. Archery season is quite generous though.

Not a pleasant place to hunt if you can't shoot a bow and you can't get off work those few days.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Hal

Doyle,
Actually - it's (Ohio) much better than it appears.

The white tail deer had been hunted to extinction in Ohio by 1904.
it was reintroduced into the state in the 1920's and 1930's.
The post WWII housing boom & growth of the suburbs slowed the growth an expanse of the herds.

By 2000, the estimated population was around 800,000 and it was generally agreed that the number was excessive.
Regulations were loosened.

Then Ohio had a couple of harsh Winters & the population dipped to levels that concerned the ODNR, so, they tightened things up again.

The return of the white tail to Ohio is one of great success and it took the mutual work of both hunters and the department of natural resources to pull it off.
Old April 16, 2014, 03:55 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

ODNR has tried expanding the dates a few times and they found people put off going then end up not hunting. At least that is what the wildlife director told me sometime back. I don't mind the regulations as they are. I worked on this change on and off for most of the last decade and I am unaware of any other changes I would like to see in Ohio regs.
Old April 16, 2014, 09:51 PM   #13
Jay24bal

Quote:
I worked on this change on and off for most of the last decade and I am unaware of any other changes I would like to see in Ohio regs.
I would like to see the extra gun weekend in mid-December come back instead of being an extra youth weekend. For those of us who hunt public land with a gun, sometimes 7 days is just not enough (like me this year). Two years ago, I took my buck on that extra weekend. I was disappointed that they took it away this past year.

Old April 17, 2014, 10:16 AM   #14
shortwave

Quote:
I worked on this change on and off for most of the last decade and I am unaware of any other changes I would like to see in Ohio regs.
The only thing I would like to see changed is the laughable, 4-day ,late ML season. Needs to be extended to at least a full week. Have been lobbying for this for a long time and it seems that although no one I've talked to at ODNR can give a reason not to extend it, they won't.

Glad to see the passage of this Bill though most likely, I will stick with bow, handgun and ML.
Old April 17, 2014, 03:34 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

On the late ML, I wouldn't mind it being TWO weekends. Weather is quite hit or miss in January.

I don't think the bonus culls were all that good. I enjoyed it b/c fewer people hunted.
Old April 17, 2014, 09:24 PM   #16
shortwave

Quote:
I don't think the bonus culls were all that good. I enjoyed it b/c fewer people hunted.
The very reason they should extend it. Just think if they had the late ml season for nine days. Starting on Sat. and ending on Sun. night nine days later.
Old April 19, 2014, 09:33 PM   #17
NCummins

I only hunt the rut up there, so I'll stick with the crossbow.
Old April 21, 2014, 03:23 PM   #18
Dirty_Harry

If I lived in Ohio I would be looking for a Marlin in .444 or .45-70 really quick.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old April 22, 2014, 01:54 AM   #19
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Holy crap, that is a seriously anti-gun hunting state. They allow 2 days for antlerless ML, 4 days for antlered ML, and 7 days for gun (plus an extra 2 day youth gun). That's it. Archery season is quite generous though.
Meh, that's pretty similar to what we have here in WI. We have a 9 day gun hunt, a 9 day ML season and a 1 week holiday hunt(gun) after Xmas in the southern part of the state. Archery is over 4 months long here though.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 8, 2014, 12:25 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

I stopped at my gunsmiths, "The Gun Dr." between Springfield and Yellow Springs Ohio, to pick up my Encore Pistol barrel yesterday. I was very pleased with how it turned out. Adding iron sights isn't too complex, but I haven't had great luck with other local smiths. Everything was clean and undamaged. I will be holding onto it for sure. Back-up/conversation/"I'll hold your beer and watch you" gun if nothing else.

Now I need a carbine for it to back-up. I think it will be my first custom built rifle. I had a mini-14 significantly modified, have modified a few things myself, but this will be the first thing I build up from a receiver.

He did sort of tick me off at the end though. I was discussing the basics of my planned carbine and he saw fit to bring out his own 444 Marlin Lever gun. A project gun he purchased some years ago and refinished. Looked beautiful. No comparison to an off the shelf rifle. The 44 mag cartridge stretched by an inch is impressive. Now I want one of those. My wife finds out about that she is going to want to put a GPS tracker on my car that sends her a text and immobilizes my car if I enter his parking lot.
Old May 11, 2014, 04:53 AM   #21
Jack O'Conner

Nothing wrong with your choice of hunting cartridge but certainly overkill for the common whitetail deer. I've had good luck with my 44MAG carbine shooting 240 grain XTP bullets.

Jack
Old May 21, 2014, 09:43 PM   #22
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
Or bump up a rifle to 460 conversion project. Who knows how much this will cost me.
Not worth it. Step up to a .45-70 platform or stick with .454 cas or .45 colt.