The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
markrsims

Winchester 1897 concern

Picked up an 1897 on Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago. Nice old non-takedown gun from 1907, it had been nicely parkerized a while back (evidently due to some rust, it has light pitting on the triggerguard) and the wood has been replaced with nice, modern, but original shape stuff. I've not fired it, and everything seems tight, but when I cycle the slide, the bolt locks, but then I can wiggle the forearm (twisting back and forth) and the bolt unlocks.

Just wanted to see if this was common with these old girls, or If I should get it in to a 'smith. Don't want to end up eating a bolt.
Old June 16, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
zippy13

Are you just twisting the forearm back and forth or are you adding some forward motion? IINM, the W-1897 unlocks with a forward motion of the forearm. More modern guns typically unlock with the action of the hammer falling (or a release control).

As with any newly acquired older gun, have a competent smith give it a safety check before you try any trigger time. You don't want a bolt for lunch.
Old June 16, 2012, 06:14 PM   #3
markrsims

I was twisting the forearm with a rotating motion.

ETA: Yes, I reread your answer, and I am appling some forward pressure too.