The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 6, 2006, 12:17 PM   #26
threegun

TeAnau,
Quote:
I recently sold my Glock 21 and the Comp 9 Hi-Point remains.That was a smart move.I have no concerns about the Hi-Point kabooming on me when I pull the trigger.
If selling a G-21 in favor of a Hi-Point is smart to you, we have nothing else to talk about LOL.

Sold buckets of Jennings, Bryco's, Raven's, Lorcin's, Pheonix arms, Davis's and even your highly touted Hi-Point's and most worked fine. The problem gun rate was about the same for all brands except the Raven. It was less prone to problems. Not because of better quality rather less powerful cartridge 25acp (I believe).

At any rate should never even mention Glock in the same sentence with Hi-Point. They are in different leagues like say a Cadillac and a Yugo. The Yugo will crank and drive but it ain't no Cadillac.

Quote:
The Jennings 9 is one of the worst made handguns ever
Same materials and design as the Hi-Point........go figure.
Old September 6, 2006, 12:39 PM   #27
Te Anau

Quote:

Quote:
At any rate should never even mention Glock in the same sentence with Hi-Point. They are in different leagues like say a Cadillac and a Yugo. The Yugo will crank and drive but it ain't no Cadillac.
Id say its more like a Honda and a Kia.My Glock 21 was no more or less reliable than my Hi-Point (or any other handguns I own) so where does that fit in? Glocks win hands down in the anti-ergonomics department.Ill give you that much.
Old September 6, 2006, 01:36 PM   #28
threegun

Quote:
The Hi-Point and other similar guns mentioned before all use the same zinc alloy material and striker fire design. The cheapest of the cheap.

The Glocks plastic saves money in both materials and manufacturing however the material offers no reduction in durability in fact some feel it is better. It also aids in softening recoil and cutting weight. In contrast the Hi-Points usage of zinc alloy definitely contributes to its bulk and lack of durability. It is not safe to carry chamber loaded and it will not feed hollowpoints. The steel used in the barrel & slide of the Glock is vastly superior to anything in the Hi-Point. The Glock will feed hollowpoints with 100 percent reliability. I could go on and on. You just can't compare the two.

Tell you what take your Hi-point out to an action pistol match and see how you fare. Post the results for us LOL.
Old September 6, 2006, 02:41 PM   #29
RevolverLover

Quote:
it will not feed hollowpoints
The one's I have shot feed them just fine.
Old September 6, 2006, 02:47 PM   #30
Jrsmith24

Quote:
The Glock will feed hollowpoints with 100 percent reliability
So you are saying that at no point in the history of the Glock (or maybe even the world) ANY Glock failed to feed a hollowpoint? Quite a bold statement.
Old September 6, 2006, 04:09 PM   #31
threegun

I own 9 Glocks currently and have owned at least a dozen more in the past. I have had only a couple of jams. One was from bad mag springs and the other was a cartridge which was both cracked and had the primer seated sideways. Neither was the guns fault.

Again by contrast you have a gun that can't fire any hollow points without hanging up in the Hi-Point compared to a gun that has fired everyone I tried and many that I haven't. I haven't heard of any hp's that have caused problems in the near 20 years that I have been a GLOCKAHOLIC.
Old September 6, 2006, 05:46 PM   #32
RevolverLover

Quote:
Again by contrast you have a gun that can't fire any hollow points without hanging up in the Hi-Point
Again, I have fired hollow points in a couple of Hi-points without any problems.
Old September 7, 2006, 02:00 PM   #33
Te Anau

Quote:
and striker fire design.
If that makes a bad gun,then there are a lot of bad guns out there including your trusty Glocks.
Old September 19, 2006, 07:49 PM   #34
hdawson228

RevolverLover. Forbus makes a CCW holster for the HiPoint C9. Fit is excellent.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:07 PM   #35
STAGE 2

Hi points are fine for truck guns and range time. Thats about it. They are not for carry, serious work, or situations where your life may be on the line.

Anyone who speaks to the contrary is delusional. If you don't believe me then point to any army on the world, or any law enforcement agency that issues or specifically authorizes use of the hi-point. I don't know about you but I can't remember the last time I saw any LEO packing a hi point in a holster.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:11 PM   #36
Tom2

Review

believe it or not, Combat Handguns just did a review of the 9MM Hipoint and gave it a glowing review. This might be proof that some magazines never bad mouth a review gun, and did it to prove that in the extreme! Otherwise, I would not own one myself, but I do have a Raven lying around from the 80's. Always went bang everytime with 25 ball, as a fun gun (it was at the time). Only problem came when the mag spring got a little weak. Then it had some malfunctions, but I got a new mag for it at a gunshow for peanuts, and it continued to run. I still have it only because it is not worth selling! I think it might be a clone of some cheap German gun called a Reck, judging from the exploded view of that gun. So the Raven was not an original design. Don't know if the Reck was made of pot metal though.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:27 PM   #37
hdawson228

I've done my due diligence in reading everything I can about Hi Points. Those that have or do own and shoot them seem to be pretty positive about the guns although alot of those that have never shot them seem to think they are trash. I bought my 9mm compact today ($129) and although I haven't shot it yet, it looks and feels pretty good. Not as well finished as my SA 1911. Probably go to the range tomorrow and will report back.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:32 PM   #38
Pinky Carruthers

Quote:
and striker fire design
Does this make the Glock cheap because it uses a striker as well?
SOM
Old September 19, 2006, 08:33 PM   #39
drinks

Gun Tests recently did it, said it was a very ugly and wide , clunky, piece that was as reliable as about anything they had tested, had very good sights, a very good DA trigger and was one of the best double tap DAs they had shot.
I am going to get one , just to have for range time and practice with a DA, as I shoot SA revolvers 99% of the time.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:51 PM   #40
orionengnr

Mmmm...yeah.

If you actually cannot afford anything else, buy one.

You claim to own a quality 1911, and you buy a H-P? Really?

Me, I'd rather spend the $120 bucks on ammo for my existing 1911.

Just want to own more guns? Put that 1911 up for sale, and you can buy four H-Ps.

Guess I just don't get it...
Old September 19, 2006, 09:03 PM   #41
Mikeyboy

A friend of mine bought a C9 almost a year ago so he can go shooting with the rest of us. He was recently divorced, and not a big pistol shooter. He never had a problem with it and maybe put 500 to 1000 rounds thru it. Another friend of mine is Single, and has a HUGE collection. Within a year I seen both a Kimber and a Sig jam up on him. He does has several glocks and I'll admit he never had a problem with any of them.

I have held and shot the "Compact" 9 and honestly it a little big and heavy for CCW, but I personally like smaller weapons (compact it is not). It looks kind of cheap up close, but from a distance it looks like a glock. I'm not sure how drop safe a Hi point is either. It make a good range gun for beginner on a budget. For self defense though??? If you can't afford better, than go for it, but if you can afford even just a $100 more you have alot better options out there.
Old September 20, 2006, 05:08 AM   #42
threegun

TE A & Pinky, I should have said the crudest of striker fired pistols or the least sophisticated, cheapest, dangerous, etc.

Basically you have a channel directly behind the cartridge just like most other quality handguns. This channel houses the firing pin assembly. The Hi Point consists of a firing pin, firing pin spring, and the sear. Upon chambering a round the firing pin spring is compressed by the firing pin and held back by the sear. The sear locks the firing pin by less than an 1/8inch ring of pop metal.

http://www.mkssupply.com/manuals.asp

The safety consists of another piece of metal that simply prevents the sear from dropping and firing the gun. The gun is so at risk of accidental firing that the factory recommends never carrying the chamber loaded. While this recommendation could be liability related in other quality guns it is danger related on the hi point.

Nothing even close to the Glock.
Old September 20, 2006, 05:45 AM   #43
seed

Say what you want about the Hi-Points but just know that they passed the ridiculously "designed to make them fail" drop tests for Kalifornia. I would personally have zero fear of having one in the chamber of a Hi-Point.
Old September 20, 2006, 06:15 AM   #44
threegun

Probably never have a problem either. Take yours apart and see what prevents firing. Understand that I have changed dozens of firing pins that have broken over the years because of the crappy metal used......if you still feel okay about it, its your butt.
Old September 20, 2006, 07:16 PM   #45
hdawson228

Range Report

Three guns:
SA 1911 45/S&W 22A 22LR/HiPoint compact 9mm
All three guns are in breakin period. HiPoint was actually first firing.
Springfield 1911 45, 56 rnds of WWB. One or two failure to fully seat.
S&W 22A 22LR. 20 rnds with three FTE fully.
HiPoint compact 9mm, 39 rnds, first shooting. Absolutely zero hiccups.

Besides the HP shooting very well, it was far more accurate than I am.
I'll never buy WWB again. It's amazing how much carbon build up on the stainless slide. I mean, BLACK.

The HP shooting Independence 9mm left literally NO carbon buildup on the slide.

I realize this experience is only anecdotal and only time and more rounds will tell just how good or bad this HP pistol is. Just thought this information may be interesting to the thread.
Old September 20, 2006, 08:44 PM   #46
gopack

As someone who is considering buying a High Point, I've been following this and other discussions on the pistols. The vehemence of each camp is interesting. Most folks who like HP's own them and shoot them. The most passionate anti-HP folks don't seem to have owned them or fired them. The anti-HP folks seem not to like them because they are (a) inexpensive; (b) look ugly; (c) may be made of inferior materials and (d) the manufacturer may or may not have made other "inferior" handguns. There are very few posters who can say "I owned one. It didn't shoot well or it was nothing but trouble." I've fired a mag from a C9 and was neither impressed nor unimpressed. It certainly didn't excite me as some have, but I wasn't turned off, either.

Anyone out there who has owned an HP and hates it because it was nothing but problems or was woefully inaccurate?
Old September 21, 2006, 05:37 AM   #47
threegun

Gopack, I have shot HP's. I have sold them. I have taken them apart and replaced broken firing pins. They are what they are a cheap gun made of inferior materials. They shouldn't be carried chamber loaded (also recommended by the factory) and our customers complained that hollow points failed frequently. They are among the highest complaint guns we have ever sold. Do I hate them.......no. Would I ever own one........only if the alternative was no gun. Long ago a salesman asked me a question while I was gun shopping and complaining about gun prices. He said "son, how much is your life worth". If that figure is 120 bucks get the hi point if not get the best gun you can. Why not put every advantage into your corner as possible? The bad guy has surprise on his side so why handicap yourself with a cheap gun? If Hi Points were as good as folks say here then why on earth have I never ever seen one in competition? Why hasn't it garnered selection by even a single Podunk police agency? They are cheap and would save on the police budget right. They are a gun for people who simply cannot afford better plain and simple. My life however is worth saving the extra money up for a decent fighting pistol.

BTW, I got into this thread by mistake. I thought someone said that Glock and AR owners were jealous of hi point owners. After me belly stopped hurting from intense laughter I was forced to post. Turns out I was wrong about what the guy said and am now stuck fighting off hoards of happy hi point hyenas LOL. Like a lion surrounded by lesser creature all nipping at my blind side. That was a snobby Glock owner joke guys LOL.
Old September 21, 2006, 10:51 AM   #48
Te Anau

Quote:
The gun is so at risk of accidental firing that the factory recommends never carrying the chamber loaded.

Almost every gun manual I have says to not carry a round in the chamber.Thats lawyer defense.
Quote:
They are what they are a cheap gun made of inferior materials.
Yah theyre made of the same materials that are used widely in manufacturing including the aeronautics industry.
Old September 21, 2006, 11:01 AM   #49
STAGE 2

Quote:
Yah theyre made of the same materials that are used widely in manufacturing including the aeronautics industry.
Thats a false comparison. Different uses and different types of stress. There's a reason why quality firearms don't use the types of metal tha teh hi-point does.

I will never understand why people feel the need to justify their purchase. If you bought a hi-point be happy with it. Just don't tell me its a serious use gun. I'm not going to use my HK as a boat anchor and you're not going to use your hi-point to win any competitions or go on any raids.
Old September 21, 2006, 11:44 AM   #50
gopack

Threegun: Thanks for the downside from someone who actually has experience with Hi-Points. Experience counts and it may influence my future purchase. What was your return rate and problem rate for more expensive firearms?

So, which one of the high quality guns should I buy that will never have a firing pin problem, will never have a mechanical failure or other problems? I've been looking for that one.

What qualifies as high quality materials of construction? Should I go out and buy a plastic, er, excuse me gun with polymer construction, or all steel? And what grade of steel? If you want to get into a discussion on whether a polymeric synthetic organic chemical material is a plastic or not, I'd be happy to since I may have taught more college-level chemistry courses than you've taken. Although I am very impressed with the late wonders of chemistry, I wouldn't be surprised if any polymeric firearm doesn't breakdown quicker than a high-quality metal firearm.

If I were betting my life on the pistol firing and cycling in an emergency, I'm not too sure that the pistol woudn't be a revolver and not a semi-automatic.
Closed Thread