The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 1, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
stu925

Finally got my CMP Garand

As some of you know I've been lusting after a CMP M1 Garand for some time now so this year I decided to go ahead and order it. I sent my paper work in back in Feb. and this was my week to start receiving my order. Fed Ex stopped by on Wed. and dropped off 3 boxes, inside was my ammo, en-blocs and bayonet. Yesterday the rifle was dropped off at my local FFL (stupid SAFE act) and I went up to pick up the rifle today. So how about some pictures? Sorry about the quality, wife's got the digital all I have is my cell phone.

The CMP Bounty

As you can see rifle gauged 1 for both the muzzle and throat

A true Winchester receiver, SN puts date of manufacture at 1943

Tore the rifle down tonight and found that the barrel is dated 8-66 and stamped VAR (Danish I believe). Trigger housing is stamped SA as is the Op Rod. Bolt is stamped HRA. Didn't find any markings on the rear sight to designate manufacturer although I'm sure they are there. Stock is stamped RA-P so looks like it was re-arsenaled at Raritan Arsenal in Jersey.

I found no pitting on any of the metal and the Parkerizing looks very nice. Wood has some dings in it including a really big one on the right side right above the trigger. This was without a doubt the cleanest surplus rifle I've ever dealt with, not one drop of cosmoline anywhere on it (the bayonet had more cosmoline on it).

Stu
Old June 2, 2013, 12:09 AM   #2
tahunua001

good looking rifle. I got my hands on one of the last springfields before they stopped advertising them. everything is SA and all lot codes are from the correct time period for a 44 garand except the barrel which is a 52 rebarrel. the thing that ground my gears was that all the cartouches are gouged out on the stock and the throat gauged to a 4. it's the only SG I've heard of that was gauged more than 3 on anything. still I'm happy with it. good luck with yours.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:28 AM   #3
stu925

The only cartouches left on my stock are the RA-P on the grip cap and a smaller P on the inside of the wrist. The original cartouche is completely gone which was a little disappointing but the condition of the metal on the rifle more than makes up for it. I was considering putting a coat of Linseed Oil on the stock to seal the wood up and maybe smooth it out a little, with the original finish so worn the stock almost feels gritty. I guess I need to find out what the original finish was before I do anything.

Stu
Old June 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Fishbed77

How did you get a a hold of a Service Grade Winchester via mail order? They've been sold out for a long time.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
tahunua001

Quote:
How did you get a a hold of a Service Grade Winchester via mail order? They've been sold out for a long time.
it was a typo, in the last thread he explained that even though he ordered an H&R he accidentally wrote the invoice number down for the WRA and CMP didn't catch it in time so he lucked out and got one of the ones that they have been hiding in a back room somewhere.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
stu925

Yep Tahunua nailed it, basically a stupid mistake earned me a Winchester, notice I'm not complaining. The girl at CMP customer service basically told me they are not sold out of Winchesters but their stocks are so low they are not accepting new orders for them. I imagine they pop up from time to time in the storefront also.

stu
Old June 3, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7
jrothWA

Nice!

Try some "Scott's Liquid Gold" on the stock to shine it up abit.

The "HXP" is alittle warmer than US GI ammo, but still acceptable for use.

If you reload try the 165gr Sierra HP or the 168gr match HP for good loads.

Enjoy!
Old June 7, 2013, 11:48 PM   #8
chris in va

Easily the most fun rifle I have. Be sure and let the younger generation try it out.