The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
RamItOne

Anyone put off buying something else.....

Just curious what this "scare" has done to people's budgets, anyone allocating extra funds or funds that typically go elsewhere towards this buying frenzy.

Wonder what effect this may have on the rest of the economy, sure gun dealers are having record sales, but where is all the money coming from.

Sure hope little suzzie still gets her braces lol

I have a vacation fund that I've considered tapping for a gun purchase, no vacation plans on the horizon.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 12, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

Quote:
where is all the money coming from.
I'd bet the majority of it is from racking up debt on the credit card.

I haven't participated in the frenzy. I bought some ammo before it was all snatched up, and still buy when I get a decent deal. The one thing that I did want was a Ruger Stainless MK III Hunter. I passed one up at Bass Pro this week because they are usually a lot higher than any other store. Decided to do it anyway because the price wasn't all that bad when I checked. Went back and it was gone. Oh, well.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #3
l98ster

Well, normally I have to ease my wife into me getting new guns. It's generally never a problem, but the more I space them out, the easier it is for me. Since the craze, I'm buying everything I want sooner, and telling my wife I need to get them now, or I may never be able to get it again!!

I think I'm going to pick up another CZ 75 tomorow!!

-George
Old January 12, 2013, 09:45 PM   #4
lamarw

Beefed-up my reloading supplies some with out of pocket coins.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:12 PM   #5
sigcurious

Need to do the same as lamarw. But I was running low anyway, figure I'll probably buy a few more packs of primers than usual since that seems to be the weak link around here in reloading supplies right now.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Metal god

I was buying guns and have one on layaway . It would have been paid off by now but funds are being spent elsewhere . My plan was to start reloading in the next year or two but now I already started buying reloading stuff so instead of in the next couple of years . I will be reloading in the next couple of months . I don't know I want my new gun but ammo is getting stupid . I've been collecting all my brass for a while now so thats one less cost .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 12, 2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Dre_sa

Here's a question;

How long does it take for prices to go back to normal after a rush like this?
Old January 12, 2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Metal god

It will stop when all this is put to rest one way or the other in Washington .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 13, 2013, 03:53 AM   #9
Ignition Override

I put off buying about 160 rds. of Prvi .303 'British' ammo for quite a while, having enough surplus (with cordite) to get buy for a long time.

It has nothing to do with CNN's Piers Morgan, English ex-patriate, who was fired from the BBC in 2004 (I have the link, but don't know how to include it here).

If Prvi .303 costs over .80-85/rd. six or twelve months from now, then we might be stuck with the prices.
Are people buying up this ammo in order to scalp others during resale, or are they worried that WW2 bolt-action rifles (with 10-rd. detachable mags) are threatened?
Old January 13, 2013, 09:32 AM   #10
UtopiaTexasG19

Call me a weenie, but I was upset 4 years back the first time Obama was elected and at that time started re-allocating funds to complete my toy collection, ammunition and re-loading supplies. I bought every 2 months for 4 years, labeled the boxes and stored. The day after the second election I ramped things up and completed a few things left on the list. Paid regular prices, nothing on the charge cards and now sitting happy. I figured way back when that even if nothing drastic happened prices would never be lower in my life time and I plan to stay in this hobby until I die so why not invest now. The American dollar buys less and less over time so anything you purchase sooner is worth more over time.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Punisher_1

What if you go out and buy the firearms now that are available and they pass something where those in power will now demand you turn it in or they come to confiscate it?
Old January 13, 2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Nathan

Yep. I'm loading up what I have and waiting for a better day.

I'm also switching focus from the frenzy area of this hobby to less frenzied areas like shotshells and black powder.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Punisher_1

I was just saying that to my wife that we'll have to go back to Skeet and Trap to be able to afford shooting more often.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:37 AM   #14
UtopiaTexasG19

"What if you go out and buy the firearms now that are available and they pass something where those in power will now demand you turn it in or they come to confiscate it? "

If it comes to that I will gladly, and with a positive attitude, turn everything over as a good citizen should. I will even tell them what my neighbors have so they can go there also. I would never appose others that know better than me.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Nickel Plated

Quote:
If it comes to that I will gladly, and with a positive attitude, turn everything over as a good citizen should. I will even tell them what my neighbors have so they can go there also. I would never appose others that know better than me.
That's the spirit comrade!
Old January 13, 2013, 03:47 PM   #16
WildmanWilson

I've been in the market for a conceal carry gun and I can't get it because of the people running scared and buying up anything that looks like a gun. I think I could carve a gun out of a bar of soap and get $300 for it. The gun shop I use is the biggest or at least top two in the state and its seeing 3 times the action as normal. I hope the NRA telling people they doubt the ban will go through will calm people down pretty soon.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:40 PM   #17
leadchucker

I'm pretty well stocked on ammo and reload supplies. I'm always looking for a deal on a gun, but prices are crazy right now. I diverted some of my usual ammo and reload supply funds into a fat donation to the NRA/ILA.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Kimio

Wish I was better off financially to be able to get the toys and ammo I wanted. Sadly bills among other things to include a limited salary prevents me from doing so. I only hope that nothing crazy gets passed, I really would like to be able to build may SBR and so on, got an FAL build I'm slowly but surely putting together right now.

Already did my part in spamming my states Reps to resist, so it's all up to if others are willing to put forth the effort as well at this point I think.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:57 PM   #19
TheNatureBoy

Not really. Although I am currently saving money for a purchase (bolt action rifle) in October, I can't think of anything I need/want. My daughter needs braces so thats probably where the money will go.
Old January 13, 2013, 06:18 PM   #20
UtopiaTexasG19

WildmanWilson,
Don't any of your LGS have any good used wheel guns in stock?
I have the best of both worlds, semi and wheel, but prefer my Smith & Wesson snub nose .38 as my pocket gun. Even I forget it is there most times.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:47 PM   #21
win-lose

I've spent some decent coin since this started... upgraded from a cabinet to a safe, upgraded my nra membership to a lifetime membership, filled in a couple of firearms (non-frenzy stuff) and some misc. ammo (@ normal pricing).

Whether this was smart or not, time will tell....
Old January 14, 2013, 01:35 AM   #22
LRChops

I allocated nearly $8000 into buying guns, ammo, accesories. I know that guns are worth mucho bucks and will only become more valuable. It has happened before and is happening now! You buy the right guns and they will be worth dollars on the penny!
Old January 14, 2013, 08:20 AM   #23
breakingcontact

Knowing what to put money into on firearms is about impossible right now. Perhaps single shots, lever actions, revolvers and pumps are decent prices and relatively not threatened by restrictions.

Semi-auto rifles and non-mouse or 1911 type handguns, anything that takes a large magazine, at this point its just a guess that buying is smart.

Values are currently inflated. In the future they will be worth more? The same? Less? Nothing?

Who knows. I'm staying out of it. Hoping we will see this week how radical or not the administration is going to get.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Come and take it.

It is not a buyers market right now. Even if an assault weapon ban were to get passed the current private owner prices will still go down. It is called supply and demand. People will eventually realize they need some of the money back they spent for their water bill and sale the gun a lot cheaper than they bought it for.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:26 AM   #25
breakingcontact

If AR's go to NFA status, what happens to the price?

There have to be millions of them out there, then that would shrink the market.