The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2010, 06:58 PM   #1
jokester_143

Opinions: New longer barrel or new shotgun

I've got a Mossberg 500 with a 20 inch barrel. Me and a buddy recently started getting into shooting clay pigeons, and the barrel length just isn't enough.

Should I buy a new longer barrel, or get a new shotgun with a longer barrel in general. It is easy enough swapping out barrels, whereas I wouldn't be opposed to doing it every time I want to shoot clays.

(If I get a new shotgun, my Mossberg will most likely be taking a back seat, or having ghost rings, or a red dot thrown onto it and turned into a slug gun.)

Last edited by jokester_143; October 14, 2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added the last sentence
Old October 14, 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Tombstonejim

Are you talking about a few hand thrown clays in the back 40 or real honest trap or skeet shooting. Makes a whole lot of difference.
Old October 14, 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
Are you talking about a few hand thrown clays in the back 40 or real honest trap or skeet shooting. Makes a whole lot of difference.
Yep - Real clays fly faster and further and require good swing dynamics - something a short barrel is lacking - backyard stuff doesn't come close.
Old October 14, 2010, 09:17 PM   #4
zippy13

If you're seriously thinking about clay target shooting, then you'll want a barrel designed for target work (higher quality steel, target contour, rib and sights). Guess what... Mossberg doesn't make a target barrel for the 500. And, if you get really serious about target shooting, you'll want a barrel designed specifically for that sport.

Of the shotgun sports, only in American trap will you not be hindered by shooting a pump gun. The other sports require a quick second shot on the same or different target. For them you are best suited with an auto-loader or an O/U.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:55 PM   #5
the rifleer

Ehh, its the shooter, not the gun IMO. I know a guy with a $9000 shotgun that is custom fit to him and I usually shoot within 1 or 2 of him at trap with a 20 gauge mossberg 500 field gun.

Practice makes perfect. I would recommend buying a field barrel for it and shoot that for a while. Then if you get really into it, go ahead and shell out the dough for a nicer trap/skeet gun.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:28 PM   #6
darkgael

guns

Of course, it's the shooter not the gun - sorta kinda. I shoot as well or better than a number of fellows at the Trap range....fellows whose guns are way more fancy and expensive than mine, a Mossberg Country Squire 30" bbl.. BUT......picking one or two other shooters gives an incomplete picture. The fellows who are running 98 - 99 - 100s....not one of them is shooting a Mossberg or similar gun. They all shoot dedicated Trap guns - Kreighoff, Perazzi, Lujtic, etc.
Pete
Old October 15, 2010, 12:02 AM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rifleer
I know a guy with a $9000 shotgun that is custom fit to him and I usually shoot within 1 or 2 of him at trap with a 20 gauge mossberg 500 field gun.
Perhaps you missed my "only in American trap will you not be hindered by shooting a pump gun."

In trap, 1 or 2 targets separates the winners from the losers. Your 1 or 2 target difference per round averages to 6 targets per 100. Under ATA classification, that represents the difference between AA-Class and C-Class. Some comp shooters would consider $9,000 a reasonable investment to move up 3 or 4 classes. On the other hand, if you swapped your M-500 for a R-870-Trap or a BT-99, for a lot less than $9K, you might improve your scores the equivalent of 3 or 4 classes.

Last edited by zippy13; October 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old October 15, 2010, 01:46 AM   #8
jokester_143

I don't know the exact model thrower the range has but it is similar in design to this, but bolted down...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...lay%20throwers
Old October 15, 2010, 03:26 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since reading your most recent post, I gather that it is so "informal" that all ya'll are doing is slinging one or 2 dust doves and shooting...

If I am correct, the Mossberg will serve you okay. When you are ready to move on to formal regimented clay sports, your foundation and fundementals will need to change... you might even have developed a few bad habits to correct...

When the time comes... you might decide to upgrade to a "finer" sporting gun. Until then, a hundred and fifty dollar barrel on your gun will be okay, I am guessin'.
BTW, Our "slinger" and shooting is barbaric as we still use the red plastic "flinger"...
Brent
Old October 15, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10
jhog1

Quote:
Perhaps you missed my "only in American trap will you not be hindered by shooting a pump gun."

Back in the day a lot of the best shooters used slide action shotguns model 12's and 42's where common place, so was a low-gun start position, which was required in American skeet before the gamesters came along and changed the rules to allow the gun to be shouldered prior to calling for a bird. What once was a game for hunters became an endurance test for target shooters who for the most part have no interest in hunting.
Old October 15, 2010, 02:01 PM   #11
jokester_143

hogdogs,

That's partially correct. We tried a longer barreled shotgun and our "scores" improved greatly. Before, with the Mossberg we would be like 2 out of 4. With the other shotgun we were hitting 4 out of 4, so it is an issue range with our "informal" outings.

When we go, we primarily only have my Mossberg for shooting, and I am (at least to what I believe) a pretty decent shot with it. My weakest point in firearms is with pistols.
Old October 15, 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
bigghoss

I would just get the longer barrel since it's informal, unless you want an excuse to buy another gun!
Old October 17, 2010, 04:18 AM   #13
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhog1
Back in the day a lot of the best shooters used slide action shotguns model 12's and 42's where common place, so was a low-gun start position, which was required in American skeet before the gamesters came along and changed the rules to allow the gun to be shouldered prior to calling for a bird.
Yep, and when the Model 12s were winning Skeet tournaments, golf pros were still using clubs with wood shafts. They still shoot Olympic Skeet low-gun, and the O/U is the gun of choice. Times have changed -- have you seen any M-12s or wood shaft golf clubs lately?
Quote:
What once was a game for hunters became an endurance test for target shooters who for the most part have no interest in hunting.
Most of the NSSA and ATA shooters I've competed with are avid bird hunters -- the club's fields are somewhat deserted the opening weekend of dove season. Comp shooters are usually more successful hunters than other shooters. When one of our senior members suddenly died during a Dakota bird hunt, the comment was made: He went while doing what he loved the most.

Sadly, around here, many of the local hunting areas have been closed to shooting by the politically correct. Local comp shooters may be hunting less; but, that doesn't make them indifferent. It seems, golf has gone from a game for gentlefolks to a media circus of the celebrity pros. But, one thing remains, if you want to see how the games can be played to their fullest, check out the tournaments.

Traditionally, youngsters learned to hunt with a single shot. After they'd completed the basics, then they moved up to a repeater (and a younger sibling got captaincy of the family single shot). After getting comfortable with trap singles, they could progress to some skeet with crossing shots and doubles. These days, it seems adult new shooters wanna jump right in. I still contend that for new shooters learning the clay sports it's much easier if you don't have to contend with cycling a pump for a quick second shot.

These days, how often do we see a thread started by someone who's getting into shotgunning and wants help selecting between entry pump guns? When was the last time a newbie asked if he should start with a single shot or a repeater? Most seem to take for granted that a single shot is just for kids (and serious trap trap shooters).

If you're going to shoot clays,or birds, with a modern entry level pump, don't think it's going to perform like a classic M-12 Tournament Grade pump. On the bright side, you can easily get better results from your pump if you have your stock properly fitted and add a mid-rib bead to your barrel (the two work in concert for consistency).
Old October 19, 2010, 06:11 PM   #14
sheepman

Get a second gun the cost of a second barrel would be a big part of the cost of a new (or used gun). If you want to get serous about tournament trap or skeet then invest in a special gun for the sport. If you just want to shoot a few rounds now and then and have a good second gun for hunting, an auto or pump with 28" barrel and screw in chokes will serve you well.
Old October 20, 2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Miata Mike

I'm pretty sure there are people with extra Mossberg barrels sitting around. Lots of combos out there and I bet most use one barrel or the other. My Fathers old Coast to Coast Mossberg has a scope screwed to the receiver, so the field barrel will not likely ever be used.