The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 7, 2014, 10:18 PM   #1
Gaz_in_NZ

Is there a difference in 11's caps and 10's caps?

What exactly is the difference in 11's caps compared to 10's caps?
Size?
Power? (like magnum pistol primers?)
I haven't been able to find any info on just what the real difference actually is but there are loads of people who have heard that "the difference is...... this, that and the other".

Thanks in advance
Gaz
Old June 7, 2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Ifishsum

Size (diameter) is the difference, #10s are smaller than #11s. With that said, different manufacturers vary in size, especially in #10s, for instance with my BP replica revolvers (made by Pietta), CCI #10s will not fit but Remington #10s fit perfectly. I can use #11s from most manufacturers but they are loose and fall off too easily. CCI offers both standard and magnum #11 caps but I've only seen one version of #10. I've seen a dimension chart here somewhere that compares the most commonly found #10 and #11 caps...search might turn it up.
Old June 7, 2014, 11:52 PM   #3
BirchOrr

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=9093.0
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 8, 2014, 12:46 AM   #4
Gaz_in_NZ

Cheers for the link to the earlier post, I had seen it before but couldn't remember where I saw it.

I'm using RWS 1075 at present on Uberti Walker and 2x Uberti 1858 New Army's and the caps don't seem to fall off and they just get pressed on with a new Ice Lolly (popsicle) stick as I put 'em on.

Cheers
Gaz
Old June 8, 2014, 07:51 AM   #5
BirchOrr

Glad to help!

That link is the most informative I've seen on the differences in caps.

Whenever I get a new/different BP shooter and before I even fire it, I put Treso/AMPCO nipples in it. This way I use the same properly fitting cap on every firearm I own. I like the caps to fit tight! I put those on my Walker once and the caps didn't fit as tight as I wanted, so I put slightly longer nipples in... too long/tall for the revolver), only trimmed them down a few thousands. Doing this seated the caps at a slightly fatter area of the nipple. Eureka! A cap that fits properly, eliminates many problems. The biggest benefit is my cap jams are few and far between.

Treso's have a very small flash hole. This funnels all the ignition from the cap directly to the powder. It also keeps blow-back to a minimum. I want all the power to go out the barrel not blow back through the nipple. This also helps further eliminate cap jams.

There is a VERY fine line here in that too tight is no good either. I strive for tight but the cap must seat properly so I don't get misfires due to the cap not being seated far enough down on the nipple.

All the best,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...