The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 21, 2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

ASM Maker's marks

Armi San Marco used numerous makers marks during the 4+ decades they were in business. They ranged from the common 'Armi San Marco' to the intertwined ASM and included 'ASM'; 'A.S.M.', 'SM'; 'San Marco', 'S Marco' and a logo with 'Arm San' over a sunburst (?)and 'Marco' below. Below are some pictures of ASM markings. If anyone has pictures of ASM markings I don't have here; please add them.

ASM markings can be found on the barrel top, sides, or bottoms, and the Left side or bottom of frames.

S. Marco Walker frame marking 1970

1st Model Dragoon frame marking 1975

3rd Model Dragoon marking 1976

Walker frame marking 1979

And yet another Walker frame mark from 1994 this time

and finally a Navy barrel marking with periods in the initials
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 22, 2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Bootsie

Thanks for sharing, Fingers.
Very informative.
From a collector's point of view it will be interesting to know WHY the Italians changed their marks over the years and if the different marks can be related to years of production.
Long Johns Wolf
Old May 22, 2014, 04:29 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Fingers and Bootsie

I have a good number of San Marco revolvers and have not seen any with marks that are not included in Finger's post.

I agree....This is a good record.

Especially as Bootsie recommended, if correlated with the date code.

"BPRevolver" would also be a good source for such data. He probably has more ASM specimens than any other collector in the world.

As regards the rationale for the variation in marks, I would be hard pressed to think of a good reason for the different marks. The message is that decisions about the marks were made at a level at which there was no appreciation for consistency and no recognition that inconsistency in the marks could potentially present ASM in a negative light.

I lived in Italy in 1979 and 1980. My reaction at that time was that the culture was comfortable with a seat-of-the-pants approach to just about everything.

Interpretation of rules was done at a local level and for example, rules which were strictly enforced in Naples did not seem to apply in Rome. Police had the power to collect fines for minor traffic issues right on the spot. (I asked an Italian colleague if that practice was corruption but was told it was completely legit.) Taxes for some things (mostly processing of government documents) were paid using stamps. The Lire had devalued so significantly that the five Lire coin (which was made of aluminum) was substituted in stores by candy. (If you had 55 Lire coming to you in change for a transaction, you got a 50 Lire piece and a little piece of candy. There was no such thing as a one Lire coin. Had they existed, they would have dissolved in a glass of water. ;o)

I guess I am offering a loose approach to regulation at that time as an explanation for the numerous marks on ASM products.

BUT

What is the history of use of the marks by Beretta and Uberti? I think it has been more consistent.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; May 22, 2014 at 04:39 AM.