The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 30, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
leadchucker

Question for alarm system owners

A false alarm brought this potential problem to my attention.

The controls and status indicators for my home alarm system are located near the entry and exit doors for convenience when entering and exiting. Not a problem. My alarm system does call a bonded monitoring service, so 911 gets notified in case of an alarm. It works well enough unless the phone lines have been cut.

However, a false alarm in the middle of the night made something clear to me. I had to leave the bedroom, armed of course, and go to one of these controls to see which perimeter alarm had been tripped. Following conventional wisdom on this subject, I would prefer to remain in the bedroom at least until I could determine the nature of the intrusion or alarm.

So, should I go to the extra expense of putting a control/status indicator in the master bedroom?
Old November 30, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
ltc444

sounds like a good idea. Many systems have a wireless remote which you can carry around the house.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
egor20

My system sync's with my BB and my wife's Android phone and tablet. Ask your security provider if you can upgrade it.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 30, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
leadchucker

Quote:
My system sync's with my BB and my wife's Android phone and tablet. Ask your security provider if you can upgrade it.
Cell coverage in this area is marginal, 4G is nonexistent, what 3g there is, is unreliable. That's why I'm still relying on a land line. And that's why I don't have any smart phones.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
taz1

when my alarm system gives a false alarm in the middle of the night -- I kick the dog and tell him to SHUT THE HELL UP!
Old November 30, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
comn-cents

Why do you have to go see what is going on?
If my alarm goes off in the middle of the night I don’t go looking to see what zone someone or something came through. If the alarm company can't reach me they call the COPS. I must say I have never had my alarm just “go off” for no reason.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Hook686

It seems to me that you do not have a choice if you want to see is going on without leaving your room. Adding cameras and a monitor is an added expense. However you do it you will need pay it seems to me.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 1, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8
ltc444

I have the same problem with wireless service. Since I do not have the option for a land line, I installed a repeater. It cost about 250 from the repeater store. You might want to contact them. This system would then allow you to have a wireless system which cannot be cut.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Archer 9505

Can't you get your company to install a control pad in your master bedroom? We have. We set the alarm before turning in for the night.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:53 AM   #10
81aggie

I live in a 2 story house with all bedrooms upstairs. We have a control panel at the main entrance door so we can arm the system entering and leaving the house, but also have a control panel in the master bedroom. It's very convenient (don't have to go downstairs to arm/disarm the system and also don't have to leave the bedroom to turn it off or hit any of the emergency buttons if need be). It did cost a bit extra for the second panel but is well worth it IMHO.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:06 PM   #11
leadchucker

Okay, I'm sold. Sounds like putting a keypad/control in the bedroom is done more often than I thought. I'm a bit surprised that the installers didn't suggest this when the system was installed.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:01 PM   #12
ltc444

I would check your contract. A second wireless remote has been standard on most systems since the late 70s. The wireless remote is tied to your system not the cell phone.

You need to have some serious discussion with your service. It sounds like the installer cut corners. Most of those guys are contract and paid by the job. Installing the second panel would have cut into their profit.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Verbal Clint

Not sure about where you live, but if your phone line is cut in TX, the cops show up. And it usually isn't fun. Also, if an alarm goes off in the middle of the night in my house, step 1 grab gun. Step 2, get my daughter out of bed. Step 3 get my son out of bed. Step 4 get behind the bed with the gun pointed at the door and put 911 on speaker phone. A lot of people rely on the alarm company. What they don't realize is the response time will be better if you call yourself, especially if you say your alarm was just tripped and it's 2 AM.
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old December 10, 2012, 11:30 AM   #14
leadchucker

I called the alarm company. They are going to be installing an additional status/keypad/control unit in the MBR. Also going to be installing cellular backup communication.

Now, if the alarm sounds, I can look and tell which sensor was tripped without leaving the bedroom, and act accordingly. Knowledge is power.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:17 PM   #15
ltc444

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Good luck.