The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Skans

Modernizing before a ban....

I have sort of a strategic approach to "the next gun and/or magazine ban". In my opinion, it's not a question of "if", but "when".

I looked at my semi-auto pistols and military style rifles. I noticed that many were manufactured in the '80's and early '90's, and that I had relatively few rifles and pistols that were manufactured more recently. This concerned me, because if a ban did happen, I'd be stuck with some guns that are a little dated, given what has become available after the expiration of the AWB.

So, I have made a concerted effort to update my weaponry. Part of this means building a new AR with some of the best components and systems that have ever been available to the civilian market. As I start to research AR's that can be built, I realized that you can actually make them quite a bit better than what the military uses -this, in itself, intrigues me.

Another goal is to replace my 20+ year old Glock 17. No, there's nothing wrong with it, but I think there may be some better options for a polymer 9mm. I really like the STI GP6, made in Slovakia. I have no way of knowing if I would like it better than the Glock, but I'm considering it.....not that I'd actually get rid of my one and only Glock.

I've thought about the KRISS - interesting modern design that may be on the chopping block as far as civilians go. But, I have a hard time justifying a .45acp in that size semi-auto carbine for the kind of money it fetches. It's a waste of technology without full-auto capability. However, at a $700 +/- price point, I probably wouldn't be able to pass it up.

Those are some rambling thoughts of mine. Does anyone else have a strategy they pursue in times like this? Or, am I the only one who thinks this way.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Does anyone else have a strategy they pursue in times like this?
Yeah, take a deep breath and stop buying into the apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic panic.

DC isn't going to ban anything.

Relax.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
Those are some rambling thoughts of mine. Does anyone else have a strategy they pursue in times like this? Or, am I the only one who thinks this way.
It has nothing to do with "times like this" but I try to be conscious of the use of particular guns in relation to the availability of parts. Whether for carry or home defense, I have types of guns that are in production by major manufacturers. Range toys and occasional shooters can be old or exotic.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
g.willikers

I'm convinced that the guns are the least of it.
If you are looking for an excuse to buy some new stuff, by all means, you have our approval.
There's lots of very tempting goodies out there.
But old guns work about the same as new ones, and have for a long time.
More importantly is how good we are with them, old or new.
If you have good quality guns, that you trust and are familiar with, why change?
Other than just wanting new ones, that is.
Nothing wrong with that.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
Yeah, take a deep breath and stop buying into the apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic panic.

DC isn't going to ban anything.

Relax.
Not true for states though.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 6, 2013, 12:59 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
Does anyone else have a strategy they pursue in times like this?
Last year as I saw the crop of contenders for President I was not inspired. I feared that we would end up right where we are now with a major push to steal our rights away. So, I made a list of things that I wanted and that might be difficult to obtain in the future. I did not randomly walk into a LGS and buy whatever I could get my hands on as some have done.

While some may call it panic buying I disagree because these were items I would have bought anyway I just accelerated the process by several months. While I do not believe things will be as bad as some fear I also am not sure prices for some items will ever return to where they were last year.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 6, 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Skans

Quote:
If you have good quality guns, that you trust and are familiar with, why change?
Good question. With the Glock, I'm not good with it - I'm barely adequate with it - just don't like the trigger, the trigger dingus, and never could get accurate with it. I've always said that I wish I could find a DA/SA hammer-fired pistol that was every bit as durable and reliable as my Glock 17.

On the AR - I'm really intrigued by a number of improvements on this platform and the almost unlimited ability to customize it. For starters, there were a number of things I don't particularly care for about the older (pre-'85) classic AR's:

1. I don't like the plastic handguards or the way they attach with the delta ring assembly.
2. I never liked the huge front sight post
3. I don't like the slop between the upper and lower receivers
4. I don't like the one position collapsible stock, or the cheap fixed stock.
5. I don't like the position of the charging handle
6. The receivers seemed a little meek and flimy
7. Not a big fan of the A1 and A2 upper receivers with the fixed handle.

Here are some things that have renewed my interest in the AR platform:

1. I'm a big fan of the billet upper and lower receivers. In my opinion, some of these billet sets are more robust than even the good forged receivers. No more wobble between the receivers and no more ugly casting marks.

2. There are some really nice newer forend/rail systems that integrate nicely with the upper receiver. And, now you can even get a ring to close off the space between the barrel and the rail system.

3. Stock selections are abundant - you are no longer stuck with the cheap 1-piece plastic stock or a 1-position, uncomfortable collapsible stock.

4. There is a wide variety of gas blocks that will permit me not to have to use the old sight tower/gas block.

5. Upgraded fire control systems, if you want them, are available.

6. Even stainless receiver inserts so you don't have steel pins destroying the holes in the aluminum receiver over time (granted, remote, lots of shooting, and a very long time..... i.e. may not be necessary, but you can get it if you want it)

7. Assorted muzzle breaks, barrels, grips, iron sights - it's all out there.

8. Multiple calibers now available.

9. Piston actions available (though, I'm not a big fan - I like the DI on an AR)

So, there you have it, there is virtually no reason not to end up with an AR where you go: "Ehhhh, I really don't like _______ about this rifle"
Old February 6, 2013, 03:33 PM   #8
DaleA

Eh...might not be a bad time to build an AR.

Maybe nothing will be banned but I wonder if, by the time the panic buying stops and prices should start dropping, the general weakness of the dollar and the weakness in the economy will keep the prices at the same point they are now.

Anyway keep us informed (in the 'proper' forum of course) so we can cheer/jeer and kibitz on the choices you make.

(Note: in the spirit of full disclosure the economic preditions made in this post come from a guy who advised his father NOT to buy gold when it became legal to do so because panic buying had driven the price up to almost $100 an ounce. )
Old February 6, 2013, 05:33 PM   #9
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
Good question. With the Glock, I'm not good with it - I'm barely adequate with it - just don't like the trigger, the trigger dingus, and never could get accurate with it. I've always said that I wish I could find a DA/SA hammer-fired pistol that was every bit as durable and reliable as my Glock 17.
Have you considered a Sig SP-2022? It has all of the traditionally positive characteristics (accuracy, reliability, etc) of P-series Sigs, other than its polymer frame and a somewhat 1911-ish slide release lever rather than a take-down lever. Unlike the P-series Sigs, the 2022 was selling for $400 or less before the recent craziness.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Skans

The GP6 also sells in the $600 range and uses a 17 round magazine, just like my Glock 17. It also appears to be a bit less bulky than the polymer Sig. However, the price point of the poly Sig does make it worth considering.

Last edited by Skans; February 7, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:42 PM   #11
PatientWolf

If you really are just not happy with the Glock and are considering a Sig, you may also want to look at H&K. The USP is a great gun.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:55 PM   #12
bigghoss

My strategy is to keep pressure on elected officials NOT to support any type of gun-control and then wait for the panic to die down and the bottom to drop out of the market, or at least get back to normal. When things calm down I'll try to focus on picking up more mags for my stuff and anything that might come under attack next time as well as stockpiling reloading supplies. I'm also going to try to reach out to people who aren't strongly pro-2A/RKBA and educate them and hopefully not only have more educated people but people that would campaign and vote in favor of gun rights.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Tucker 1371

I just bought mags and ammo, and not in massive quantities or for ridiculous prices.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe