The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2010, 01:57 PM   #26
TMackey

Pics or it didn't happen.

If we all liked the same thing, there would only be one choice.

Wouldn't THAT be fun.
Old October 13, 2010, 10:01 AM   #27
greyeyezz

Reason I use a coach gun for HD over my 870 is its 7" shorter.
Old October 13, 2010, 02:24 PM   #28
shortwave

I'm in the 'USE WHAT YOUR TRAINED IN" camp.

Dad always carried a five shot Smith revolver as a duty weapon and after retired as his ccw. He could load it as fast as most could load an auto.

I can load a single/double shot fairly quickly but still prefer my Rem 1100 with my slug bbl. for HD. Have had it nearly 30yrs and many hundred rounds through her.
Its what I know.
Old October 13, 2010, 03:04 PM   #29
NightSleeper

Quote:
My problem is A the lack of capacity. They only hold 2 rounds. That is a pretty bad starting point. SEcondly unless you have alot of practice firning and loading them quickly the average joe will not beable to reload them quickly.
I agree. But against one home intruder it should be more than sufficient, provided your aim is true.

On the other hand, I was raised on pump action shot guns so that's what I prefer.
Old October 14, 2010, 02:13 PM   #30
Fiv3

I like SxS just fine. However, I keep an 870 for HD.
A couple of reasons. I am more familiar with it, it has double the capacity, and it can be stored "safer".

I have a little one at home who will one day be a major concern regarding what I keep loaded up for HD. A hammerless SxS is usually self cocking, so to keep it "safe" it only has the slide safety. The 870 can be loaded cruiser ready with the safety on. While I keep my guns inaccessible to my daughter, having to hold in the latch and click over the safety gives me a little more piece of mind.

Regardless, the ol' 870 is my favorite firearm If I had to forsake all others, it'd just be me and my 870P Magnum.
Old October 17, 2010, 02:59 PM   #31
zip22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip22
I really can't find anything on this gun. Is it like the maverick hunter but shorter?
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...spx?item=75445
I checked out the magazine and it is a shorter maverick hunter

per Sporting Times Personal Defense 2010

Maverick HS12
$450
18.5" barrel
35.5" OAL length
rail for optics on top and for lights / lasers on bottom (similar to Stoegar double defense)
fiber optic front sight
extractors
6lb 4 oz loaded with a light

for the price, I think I would rather get two maverick 88 security 8 shot models. Does this really offer any benefit?
-I was thinking it might be cheap - close to the maverick pump, but at $450, you are way outside of the budget home defense guns.
-It is 3" shorter than a 18.5" pump model, but you can take off 2" with a shorter stock for the pump very cheaply. I'm guessing shortening the stock on the HS12 will be more dificult.
-It may be slightly lighter, but as the article mentions, recoil is bad because of the weight.
-As a new person to shotguns, breaking open an o/u took just as much time to figure out as how to operate a pump. Extractors instead of ejectors on the HS12 make the pump even more desirable (I would think).

Last edited by zip22; October 17, 2010 at 04:29 PM.