The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1
oldscot3

Redding G-Rx for 40 S&W

Pardon me if you guys have already seen it, but I just thought Redding's new G-Rx die was such a cool idea that I had to post it.
It's a sizing die that 40 S&W cases pass completely through. It is designed to cure cases that have been fired in weapons whose chambers produce the infamous "Glock smile" (bulge) near the base. I'm thinking it should return some cases back to serviceable condition that we wouldn't ordinarily care to reuse.
No, I don't work for Redding, but I do like their products.
Old August 8, 2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Crosshair

I like the idea. I really wish they would make one for 45 Auto. Some 45 cases have a similar problem, though not as bad, that make it difficult to chamber in some tight chambered guns. My Taurus and S&W revolvers for example.

I'll have to send them an Email asking them about that. They might as well make a 9mm one as I've run across a batch of 9mm cases with that as well.
Old August 8, 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
D. Manley

Quote:
Pardon me if you guys have already seen it, but I just thought Redding's new G-Rx die was such a cool idea that I had to post it.
It's a sizing die that 40 S&W cases pass completely through. It is designed to cure cases that have been fired in weapons whose chambers produce the infamous "Glock smile" (bulge) near the base. I'm thinking it should return some cases back to serviceable condition that we wouldn't ordinarily care to reuse.
No, I don't work for Redding, but I do like their products.
I've had one of these for a while, more for experimentation than anything else. It does perform as advertised, resizes the case head area. It does not resize the entire case sufficient for reloading though (and, so states in the intstructions)...you must still use a normal resizing die to provide adequate case tension on the bullet.

I personally see little use for this device since any brass bulged enough in the head area to prevent gauging or chambering should IMO, be considered suspect anyway. If used, I'd think it wise to make it a one-time-thing. Seems to me it could'nt be good to routinely expand/resize the head area which is the thickest, hardest and least ducile brass of the entire case.

Quote:
I like the idea. I really wish they would make one for 45 Auto. Some 45 cases have a similar problem, though not as bad, that make it difficult to chamber in some tight chambered guns. My Taurus and S&W revolvers for example.

I'll have to send them an Email asking them about that. They might as well make a 9mm one as I've run across a batch of 9mm cases with that as well.
They've been asked before and say they can't do it. To function properly, it requires a truly, straight-walled case such as, .40 S&W. 90% of the problems with .45 cases is nothing more than extraction burrs on the rim. Just shoving them rim-first into a case gauge and "wallowing it around" a bit or, a little hobby file will remedy that sort of thing quick & easy.
Old August 8, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4
oldscot3

I suppose the results would depend a lot upon the internal differences between different makes of brass. I would assume brass that thins quickly away from the head, to the sides, would have more pronounced bulges and therefore not be the best candidates for this "cure".

Perhaps, also, the individual weapons that produce the bulge would be a factor. I'm sure Glock is not the only pistol that leaves a little bit of case head unsupported.

Overall, I'm thinking it could be a useful tool, especially for those with access to range brass though I admit I don't need one myself. My Kahr K40 dents the mouths occasionally, but I haven't detected any bulges. My 40 High Power doesn't molest the empties.

Last edited by oldscot3; August 8, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old August 8, 2009, 05:26 PM   #5
D. Manley

Quote:
I suppose the results would depend a lot upon the internal differences between different makes of brass. I would assume brass that thins quickly away from the head, to the sides, would have more pronounced bulges and therefore not be the best candidates for this "cure".

Perhaps, also, the individual weapons that produce the bulge would be a factor. I'm sure Glock is not the only pistol that leaves a little bit of case head unsupported.

Overall, I'm thinking it could be a useful tool, especially for those with access to range brass though I admit I don't need one myself. My Kahr K40 dents the mouths occasionally, but I haven't detected any bulges. My 40 High Power doesn't molest the empties.
After it's been on the market for a while and establishes a track record of sorts the effects of use, good or bad, will come into focus. It seems to me it exerts maximum force right at the casehead itself...sort of hits a real hard spot then, "pops" free through the top.

I can tell you this about the GRX. I've taken .40 caliber cases, resized them using the EGW U-Dies and checked them through a SAAMI case gauge to ensure they dropped cleanly mouth first & rim first. I then ran the cases through the GRX and found it took an equal amount of force to non-resized cases and that the case-head area was furthur reduced. Now, I'm not prepared to say this is bad, it may be the neatest thing since radial tires. It just makes me wonder why a case already within spec needs another squeeze....?

I shoot 6 Glocks and they are actually pretty gentle on the brass and none bulge cases as is bandied about on the various forums. My .40 is a G-35 and it has excellent support at the feed ramp and has never "guppied" a case, OEM or otherwise. I've also never had a case fail a case gauge (or chamber) due to a bulged case after being resized so for me, the GRX is a bit of a novelty. If I ever run across some of the badly bulged (the stuff you read so much about) brass I'll have a little fun with it but surprisingly, I never seem to find any. I guess our local shooters either have recent vintage guns or don't push the envelope in their loads.
Old August 8, 2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Steviewonder1

G-RX for 40 S&W

I have a Para 16-40 and a year old G35 in 40S&W. The Para is 12 years old and has a Schumann Match Barrel inletted .10 inch. My new G35 has an aftermarket fully supported barrel also. I have a ton of 40S&W brass from Range Pickings over the years. When reloading them I would have a 15-20% Fail to Guage correctly in my SAMMI guage and were relegated to the Glock Barrel Bag. I bought a G-RX about 5 months ago and have run thru every 40S&W brass I have prior to reloading on my Dillon SDB. Every one of the G-RX Brass will drop into and out of the SAMMI guage after one pass prior to sizing in the Dillon SDB. I am more than pleased with it's performance and have run more than 1500 rounds thru it including the 200+ that I just shot today in the monthly IPSC Match today in Gainesville, Ga. These are all 200 Gr SWC Copper Plated.