The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 8, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1
NIA

AK Drum Mag

Looking to buy 100 or 75 round drum mag for Romanian WASR-10. Whats a good price, does anyone know of a good site to order from
Old May 9, 2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Jonathan12

I don't know of any 100 round AK drums...never heard of one. I have a romanian 75 round one that I bought for $75. That was a few years back...ever since I've seen them at gunshows for twice that much or more.

I also had to modify my rifle a bit so it would fit, they did a crappy job of cutting out a single stack receiver into a double stack, which didn't suprise me (CAI is known for...iffy...quality control). My WASR-10 would fit most normal double stack magazines, but it wouldn't fit the bulgarian polymer magazines or the romanian drum without some heavy file work.

Loading it is a pain, but I prefer the romanian (I hear it's identical to the russian drums, which are apparently unavailable here) over the chinese style. And I hear it's fairly easy to accidently damage the chinese drums...

Oh and keep in mind that fully loaded, it weighs more than your rifle. Mine is a fun novelty, but lets just say I don't keep it in for home defense purposes...it's more of an investment/toy/SHTF thing.

-Jonathan
Old May 9, 2009, 01:13 AM   #3
MikeGoob

Ive seen them go for about $200 for the good kind--the kind with the door that pops open and you can load the rounds into it and wind up the spring. These are better because they can be repaired easier and are MUCH easier to load than the other kind of drum (eastern european?).
Old May 9, 2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Bboomer

Be patient and keep watching the boards. You don't see 100 rounders much but they are out there and command a hefty price. After experiencing a 75 rounder I would not want a 100 due to sheer weight when fully loaded.

The 75 rounders are nearly too heavy but if I were to buy one I would opt for the chineese, yes they are much less rugged but the ease of loading makes them more favorable IMO. You should be able to find them in $225 range. I agree that they are only a novelty for show, but then they are very reliable to say the least. Good Luck.