The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 20, 2005, 01:57 AM   #1
agoetz2005

Savage Model 19NRA. Date Worth Info

I recieved a Savage Model 19NRA from my fiance's dad while he was cleaning out his wife's parents attic after they passed away.

Serial # 39,702.

All original, no extra holes. Original knobbed 5 round factory mag is on order from a friend. Correct Front and Rear sights. Metal is 85% some coats of rem-oil and a good scrub will darken alot probably. Wood 90-93% some dings. recently re-oiled and 0000 Steel wool polished.

Few Questions

What would be the going price for one of these in the condition specified, once the original mag is aquired?
When was the rifle manufactured?
I have been told that Savage was in competition with Winchester for a military training contract which Winchester finally won with the Model 52. Is there any validity in this statement.

Also any parts drawings/exploded views would be much appreciated if located

Thank You
Andrew

P.S. Pictures can be added if needed/requested for better judgement.
Old January 21, 2005, 05:05 PM   #2
HunterTRW

The following information is from the Savage Website (www.savagearms.com):

"Q. Where do I find information on older model Savage products?

A. Savage Arms is no longer able to access historical information on older Savage, Stevens, or Fox firearms. This information may be available through John Callahan who is an independent arms historian and is not an employee of Savage Arms. Mr. Callahan does not provide parts, gun smith services or offer a locator service for firearms or parts. Please send a detailed letter with:

-Your name and address
-A phone number where you can be contacted if necessary
-The model and/or serial number if available
-Any other pertinent information

Mr. Callahan will respond with a letter detailing his services. Send the
letter to:

John Callahan
53 Quarry Road
Westfield, MA 01085

Q. Are there any reference sources for Savage historical information?

A. Yes, there is a book by Jay Kimmel titled, Savage & Stevens Arms, Collector's History. For more information on where to purchase this book, contact, CoryStevens Publishing, Inc., 15350 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR, 97230, or phone 503-328-9339."

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation's Website (www.e-gunparts.com) shows that a breakdown schematic is available for purchase for this model, and may be downloaded if you have Adobe's Acrobat Reader. Otherwise, you may call their Order Line at 866.NUMRICH.

This should get you started. Sorry that I cannot be of greater assistance.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old January 25, 2005, 10:14 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

jFrom an older edition of Standard Catalog of Firearms:
Model 19 NRA
The .22 caliber bolt-action rifle with a 25" barrel, detachable magazine and full length military style stock. Approximately 50,000 were manufactured total between 1919 and 1937.