The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 13, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Cold Steel

Use of .45ACP +P Ammo in Aluminum Framed Guns

I wrote S&W and asked if the Smith 457 would handle .45 ACP 185gr Gold Dot Hollow Point +P ammo and the answer was: "As long as you keep the weapon cleaned and lubricated you should be able to fire +P ammunition with no problems."

Is this pretty good info, and would it help to buy Wolfe's calibration spring kit to try a stiffer recoil spring? From what I've read, the 457 is made from a fairly tough alloy, but still, it's not steel.

Anyone have any practical experience?

Old May 13, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
wnycollector

I have shot a ~200 hundred rounds of magtech +P 230gr jhps through my SIG P220 with no ill effects. I do have a wolff 22 lb spring in mine. Your S&W should bue fine with limited use.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Webleymkv

If S&W says it's OK, then I wouldn't worry about it. In my experience, S&W is more likely to err on the side of caution with regards to advice like that. If you pistol does wind up having a problem, S&W will probably fix it for free as their customer service is excellent.

Tags
+p+ , .45 acp , 457 , jhp , wesson