The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 30, 2011, 05:52 AM   #1
JustThisGuy

6 Years for 7 Cent Robbery

Quote:
"Stewart [15] and Ninham [16] ran up behind the [73 year-old] victim Dec. 22 and knocked him to the ground. Ninham kicked the victim and Stewart punched him in the face, breaking his glasses, before the victim handed over the seven cents in his pocket, prosecutors said. The two teens had handguns, which Stewart later said were BB guns, prosecutors said."
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._gets_two.html

Somedays it just doesn't pay to be a teen-age thug.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:55 AM   #2
CowTowner

As the old TV show used to say, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 30, 2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

Quote:
“For seven cents, now you’re making someone a felon for the rest of his life,” she said.
No, for lying he is becoming a felon. I love the way the way the defense puts the blame on "The System".

I wish the best for this young man, but even after being caught red handed he still denies he did it.

I bet the 73 year old man did not think "Hey, that looks like a b-b gun."
Old August 30, 2011, 07:32 AM   #4
kadima

By reasoning this way, an old man at risk of getting mugged and beaten should always carry a few thousand dollars to make the sentence worth????

It isn't the value of the stolen goods, it's the way they were stolen, i.e. hurting a person.
He made himself a felon for beating a person, regardless of the amount stolen.

Just My Humble Opinion....

K.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:38 AM   #5
thallub

Quote:
“For seven cents, now you’re making someone a felon for the rest of his life,” she said.
Wrong, barrister. Your client was made a felon because the predator attacked an elderly person and denied it in court.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:45 AM   #6
spacecoast

The defense lawyer's attitude is inexcusable, but then again she is a lawyer... probably does those offensive TV ads, too.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The defense attorney needs to go back to college and take a course in inductive logic. The judge didn't make the punk a felon -- the punk made himself a felon by committing a felony. He assaulted a 73-year old person. The punk didn't know the elder citizen only had seven cents.

And in many states using a BB gun in a felony counts the same as using a .357 Magnum. (Dunno if this is one of those states.)

There are some attorneys who should not be allowed to practice law. I think we just found one.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:44 AM   #8
m.p.driver

No he was made a felon because he's an animal,it doesn't matter if it was 7 cents or $7000.At that age we were cutting 73 year-old's lawns,and doing anything they needed done.But back then we didn't have to be P.C.,you did what you were taught to do.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:43 AM   #9
natman

Quote:
Well, no, he's a felon because he assaulted a 73 year old man. The amount of the haul has nothing to do with it.

And by the way, given the strength of the case against him a competent attorney would have had him admit guilt and cop a plea as a juvenile. But no.....
Old August 30, 2011, 11:05 AM   #10
PawPaw

We had a guy several years ago who held up a liquor store and got $10.00 (right after the deposit). The judge gave him 10 years. At a dollar per year, our guy had a higher cost benefit ratio than the poor thug who got a penny per year.

It just goes to show that crime doesn't pay. Maybe if the kid has been enrolled in school and selling pencils on the corner, he'd not be in jail today.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 30, 2011, 02:44 PM   #11
TexasFats

This was a classic example of the rule that "Stupid games have stupid prizes." Knocking down and beating up a 73-year old man was definitely a stupid game. Had the victim had a fatal heart attack, they could have been facing a murder charge.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
Old August 30, 2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Chris_B

So, about those guns. What were they?
Old August 30, 2011, 05:33 PM   #13
SHNOMIDO

"Stupid games have stupid prizes."

I like that.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:28 PM   #14
JerryM

He is a felon and well deserves to be. Once there was some respect for age, but no more.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:37 PM   #15
oneounceload

So, is there a dollar amount that changes things? Hope this cretin dies in jail
Old August 30, 2011, 06:38 PM   #16
Eghad

Mr Knauss needs to have all his pencils broken his computer beat down with sledge hammer and resign as a reporter.

These two young punks assaulted a human being. An older defenseless person at that and could have caused serious bodily harm. The reporter kind of glossed over that and made the 7 cents the feature piece of the article. I wonder if Mr. Knauss had been beaten and robbed by these two young punks if he would have the same viewpoint.

NRA Life Member
Old August 30, 2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Outlaw81

Those kids are just lucky that wasn't my grandfather. There are also extenuating penalties for crimes against the elderly. I don't think this falls under the old saying "boys will be boys". Too bad they don't string em up in the court house lawn anymore.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:43 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

They'll be out by 18 or nearly so. Then we'll get to send 'em back for some really serious time when they try it again.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:47 PM   #19
maxman894

A criminal is still a criminal. Like Honda motorcycles says; "Stupid hurts".
Old August 31, 2011, 01:36 AM   #20
C0untZer0

I think it should have been seven years - that makes more cents to me.
Old August 31, 2011, 01:56 AM   #21
C0untZer0

I also think there should have been a minimum sentence for using a gun in the crime.

Fake gun, real gun, flare gun, BB gun, whatever-gun, I think if a firearm is used in a crime there should be minimum non-plea, non-parolable, sentence leveled on the offender, not to be served concurrently - but in addition to the sentencing for the crime that the gun was used to commit.
Old August 31, 2011, 06:01 AM   #22
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Quote:
No, for lying he is becoming a felon. I love the way the way the defense puts the blame on "The System".
No, it is neither the 7 cents or the lying that made this kid a felon. What made him a felon was that he beat up an old man in the commission of a robbery. That is why he may serve up to 6 years.

I don't think Laurin Haddad understands that it isn't the amount of the robbery that resulted in the robbery being a felony. It is sort of like people who try to excuse themselves from some idiotic action by noting how they made a "simple mistake." It isn't the complexity of the mistake that is at issue, but the rammifications/consequences of it.

Chalk it up to stupidity for not picking a more lucrative target. Chalk it up to stupidity for not being able get the charges reduced.

Quote:
I think it should have been seven years - that makes more cents to me.
Okay, that was funny!

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; August 31, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old August 31, 2011, 06:14 AM   #23
Maxem0815

Well now there is a judge who knows the value of making an example out of a felon. OK $.07 is no money but beating a 70+ man because he looks like he is an easy target, is a crime that deserves what he got.
Oh yea the BB gun lucky that a LEO did not see the gun and attack he would be dead. This punk got what he deserves and gets no sympathy from me what happens to them in prison is just what they deserve.
Mace