The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 11, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1
GuyGuy555

Issue with Ruger P97 DC

I have had my P97 for years. Very consistent and accurate. I've put thousands of rounds through it without any issues. Love that gun!

Just took it to the range yesterday and it began jamming for the first time. I'm assuming the springs in the mags are wearing down. I'm having trouble finding new mags for the DC.

Does anyone know if regular P97 mags will work? Or do they have to be made specifically for the "DC"? If so, any advice as to where I can find them?
Old April 11, 2010, 11:37 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

The mags are the same for all the P97 models.

I would contact Ruger and tell them that the springs are getting weak in your P97 and tell them that you need a new recoil spring and new magazine springs.

The Ruger of old would have sent them to you at no charge--I'm not sure how they handle things these days.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:08 AM   #3
blume357

Final solution is Ruger, who will take care of the problem...

does the same thing happen with more than one mag? If you only have one magazine then you need another for sure... so, I'd order a new one and see.
could be the recoil spring also... i'd assume that was the same on all P97 too... and you can get the better ones of these from Ruger also.

Good cleaning and lubing often will take care of something like this... just a little dirt in the extractor or build up on the chamber can do it too.

Also, not to take away from Thefiringline.com but there are a lot of knowlegable folks over at: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/index.php

the ruger forum. If you don't want to join then just send me your question, again, via private message or email and I'll post it for you and you can see the answers as a guest.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Also, not to take away from Thefiringline.com but there are a lot of knowlegable folks over at: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/index.php

the ruger forum.
+1
Joined there when i bought my SR9 & then bought the wife a SR9C
Old April 12, 2010, 08:19 AM   #5
railroader

P90 mags will work too. Mark
Old April 12, 2010, 09:51 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
I'm assuming the springs in the mags are wearing down. I'm having trouble finding new mags for the DC.
All of the Ruger .45 autoloaders use the same magazines. The only difference is that early ones used a plastic follower, and held 7 rounds instead of 8.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 17, 2010, 11:11 PM   #7
STW

This problem just happened to me today during a handgun class. I can just say it helped me practice my failure drills but I wasn't looking to practice those just then. I see that Wolf Springs sells extra power replacement springs for Ruger magazines. Anyone have any experience with these?

Tags
.45 , mag , magazine , p97 dc , ruger