The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
sc outdoorsman

Synthetic Stock Remington 700

I posted this question over in The Art of the Rifle forum and thought I may get some information here as well. I am thinking about replacing the wood stock on my 700 adl with synthetic. My budget will be in the $200 range. I will be using the rifle for deer hunting and a little target shooting.
I have read mixed reviews from different manufacturers and wanted to get opinions from people with hands on experience.

Are the Remington replacement stocks the best for the money?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old January 2, 2010, 09:18 AM   #2
whiplash

Well my son's Model 700 compact/youth 308 has that cheap crappy hollow plastic thing they call a stock.....So I ask my son....Would you like an HS Precision stock for your 308? now that your older and bigger (asked him that this summer, he is 19).....this is the part where dad gets proud.....He said, "why dad, it shoots 1/2in groups all day long, and dead on at 250?" So he got a flatscreen tv. Anyway, you might just be able to give the standard/regular Rem syn stock a chance. You might get out of it cheap. And my son is right, that rifle of his shoots those groups all day long.
Old January 2, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3
kraigwy

I just made my grandson a hunting rifle using a Remington ADL action. I took into account this will will only be 12 in couple days so I just wanted a hunting rifle. He has a little stainless savage 22 with a black plastic stock and wanted a hunting rifle that looked the same.

I got this stocke (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=860755) which cost about $94 delivered. I did have to open up the channel a bit to get the contour I used to fit in the stock, be it took very little work.

I'm not one who believes you HAVE TO SPEND THOUSANDS to make a shooter. This one shoots quite well for a 12 years old kid, I have a 6 X 4 in medal plate set out at 200 yards. My grand kids have to beable to hit this plate with regularity before I will let them go hunting.

My grandson isnt very big and I dont what to beat him to death with recoil nor did I want a rifle he couldnt pick up. So I loaded some pulled 173 mil bullets in some mixed brass powered by only 38 grns of H335 at about 2300 ft per second. He has no problem hitting that plate, only missed twice out of 20 rounds.

Meaning I dont think his rifle was hurt using a cheap remington (drop in) plastic stock. I understand people dont have the budgets to build $5000 rifles I don't believe they should be deprived of shooting because of budgets. You can put together cheap rilfes on a budget.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 2, 2010, 05:54 PM   #4
sc outdoorsman

Thanks for your replies,
I have held the factory Remington and Savage synthetic stocks, the Savage felt rough almost unfinished, but my nephew has one that shoots well. So I know what you mean when you say cost may not result in performance. Its good to know the Remington stock works well if I do end purchasing it. That is a very nice looking rifle.

I like the looks of the Bell and Carlson Carbelite, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=232246
but cant find much end user information. It looks like a quality product and fits my budget. Can anyone give me feedback about this product?

Last edited by sc outdoorsman; January 2, 2010 at 06:06 PM.