The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 4, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Lavid2002

How do I set decoys without letting all the line out?

I have some malard decoys I just bought. My olg GHG decoys have a little loop on them, I simply unwind as much line as I want from the skeg and when Im done I loop the line into the hook, and throw out the decoy. With these decoys, if i throw it out...the line will just keep unraveling from the skeg until it is all dispensed. I have about 10'-12' of line on each decoy for when i hunt the rivers and creeks, 12' of line is obviously unacceptable for hunting i shallow ponds. How can I rig up a system where I only let a certain amount of line out....I can post pix if necessary. thank you!
-Dave
Old September 5, 2009, 10:31 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Set the depth on the anchor end... Instead of tieing a knot in the eye of the anchor, you could feed the end thru the anchor eye and tie a nut to the line so it won't come out. Then you can draw line thru to the desired length and tie a half hitch around the line so it will stay...
Brent
Old September 5, 2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Lavid2002

I dont think that I can tie a not in a small anchor line for 18 decoys in the freezing cold in the beginning and end of the day. my fingers would get far too cold near the end of the season : /

maybe I can epoxy something to the bottom of the duck, or cut a slit in it...hmmmm
Old September 5, 2009, 08:10 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Then just screw an eye screw in the bottom of the skeg...
Brent
Old September 5, 2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Lavid2002

I seriously considered that...If I used epoxy and sealed it as I sealed it in...whats the big deal? heres my idea...I could take a hacksaw and make little slits into the skeg where I can tuck away the line. This will keep excess line from going out...OR I could even put a screw into the skeg....hmmm Ideas...I drew a diagram as to what angle and where the cuts would be....one on each side so I can make the decoys face different directions.

BUT!! Is the skeg sealed off from the dek? Or willl cutting it cause water to sink my duck lol....
Old September 5, 2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Lavid2002

I THINK I GOT IT!!! ILL TIE A KNOT TO THE SKEG, check it out!
http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s...9-05212904.flv
Old September 5, 2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Lavid2002

what do you guys think?
Old September 5, 2009, 11:53 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Or a couple half hitch loops in the line as it is normally wrapped around the skeg... Sorry but I ain't able to post a vid nor do I have them plastic ducks... Yours may work but in a sharp yet little chop it could shuck the loop loose...
Brent
Old September 6, 2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Lavid2002

2 half hitches round the whole skeg? This sounds like it would be a read pain to remove later, when im wrappin up the deeks....hmmmmmm

ill fiddle around with it tonight. Maybe. if the skeg doesnt leak I can place 2 screws in it, and use it in the same fashion as a dock cleat. wrapping the line in a quick figure 8 pattern and throwing out the decoy.
Old September 6, 2009, 09:46 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Duh, I just rembered... they have them little tiny "cleats" for tieing the string to blinds, likely at home depot etc... with the 2 screw holes it oughta epoxy right on real good.
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 10:18 PM   #11
Lavid2002

Ohhhh like the ones you would use for window blinds....good idea. i can rough up the surface with some sandpaper, acitone it and pop em right on with some 2 part epoxy. Ill try it and advise. Thanks

-Dave
Old September 8, 2009, 10:43 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yep thems the ones...
Duh, I said "blinds" to a waterfowler wasn't real clear of me was it
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 11:43 PM   #13
RamSlammer

Same problem here . . . Hunt rivers and timber with the same dekes sometime. My fix was to get a few dozen brass alligator clamps from an electrical supply place. Just roll out however much cord needed and clamp the line to the front of the skeg. (After losing a few, I started tying them to the skeg hole with about 3" of line. Works great and I leave them set that way and just spool the line past the clamp until I need a depth change.