The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
SE2884

Snowbirds and gun ownership

I am a full time Florida resident and will be living here and back in Queens N.Y soon. I will be in N.Y around 3 months a year and do not want to be without a rifle and shotgun for that long. So the question becomes can I legally buy a shotgun in N.Y and keep it there year round ( I have a F.L drivers license ) or can I take one I own here in F.L, throw it in the trunk and use it in N.Y while I'm there.

Was also wondering if I own a house in N.Y and live there part time am I considered a N.Y resident, and say get a state id card of some sort. Sorry for all the questions, just want to stay out of trouble.
Old February 19, 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
A/C Guy

Buy it in Fl with your Fl D.L.
Then take it with you when you visit N.Y. state. Federal law allows you to transport any firearm with you in a case and not loaded. As long as the weapon is legal for you to own in your home state, Florida, and is not unlawful to have in possession in the destination state, N.Y.
Old February 19, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
sholling

Let's clarify that last statement!

Yes you'll have to buy it in FL, but you are subject to the laws in Queens when you take the weapon there.

The law referred to only applies to passing through other states and requires that the weapon be legal in both the place you are coming from and the destination.

It also doesn't protect you from cities that you are traveling through within the destination state (ie NYC).

Check with Queens and see what local laws apply before bringing a gun into New York and ask their advice.
Old February 20, 2009, 01:45 PM   #4
SE2884

When I had a N.Y drivers license I could buy long guns with no problem, there were no restrictions in Queens that I knew of. Maybe i should call one of gun stores up there and see what they say.
Old February 20, 2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/nyc.aspx

Take a look.
Old February 20, 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
SE2884

Thanks for the link, that explains it all.

Time to sell the house and move.

Now I know why there are so many rats and squirrels up there, their only preditors are the Chinese restaurant owners.