The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2008, 06:36 PM   #1
BigBlack

RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo, First Impression!

STEP 1 CLOSE DRAIN PLUG

Now that we have done that here is the scoop. It is TOTELLY awesome!! I setup my ChargeMaster per instructions plus a video I watched online, well maybe only the video I watched online. I had everything ready to rock and roll and began pouring in my powder, Duh, the drain was open and immediately starting filling up the dispenser cap I had accidentally but strategically placed under the drain. I quickly shut off the drain and looked down at my dog who had that, “You Dumba$$” look on his face. Get this, I actually justified myself to him by explaining I was testing the drain plug!

Other than that it worked great for my first batch.
Old April 1, 2008, 05:56 AM   #2
the_right_reverend

Got Mine used on Ebay!!!! that little drain plug was already closed total awesome tool..... Just not really happy with how it meters Varget, when it gets ready to drop the last grain it dropped 2 out of 25 round of 308 win I had to throw 12 back
Old April 1, 2008, 07:53 AM   #3
SDefender

Yea, with some powders a small ridge builds up at the very tip of the dispenser and all it takes is a little push to cause the buildup to tumble into the powder pan. PITA sometimes.

I read a post elsewhere awhile back where a guy raised the back of his Chargemaster up a little and solved this issue for his circumstances. One would have to be careful about this since the measuring depends upon it being level. It would be an experiment to find the best combination. And I have been thinking about trying this.
Old April 1, 2008, 04:38 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

what powders measure well in the combo?

I mainly use power pistol, red dot, blue dot, green dot, clays, unique, 800x, 700x and imr 4895 and was thinking of picking up the RCBS combo, but would like some input on the powders it likes and dislikes.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 1, 2008, 06:00 PM   #5
BigBlack

H4350 is all I have ran through it so far and it metered fine.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:19 PM   #6
DIXIEDOG

I've had mine for a couple years and it meters everything I've fed it well. 4350,4895,4064,HP-38,2400,4227,Titegroup, 4198 There are parameters that can be adjusted to affect trickling speed and amount trickled if you have problems with overcharges but mine was perfect out of the box. If you have trouble with metering you should call RCBS and talk to them about tuning your unit.
Old April 1, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7
wpcexpert

Everynow an again mine will throw off a little to high at the last little nudge. But my problem has been the scale reading low (which gives me a high charge). The last few times, it's been dead on the RCBS 5-0-5. Maybe .1gr high. I always give it 2-3 test runs that i will measure on the balance and then set the powder thrower accordingly. I'll check it about every 15 rounds or so. But the biggest thing is it's consistent. I can deal with the scale not being dead on if it's consistent.

But it's an awesome tool. faster than me using the powder thrower and a trickler. But for my plinking rounds that i'm not "as" precise for, I just put the shell under the manual dispenser and go at it.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 2, 2008, 02:51 AM   #8
the_right_reverend

I have used mine for 4064 and benchmark with no errors and verifed on the RCBS 1010 always right on......... a whole lot faster them me and a tickler i verify every 5-10 rds and rezero the dispenser every 5 rds...
Old April 2, 2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
a whole lot faster them me and a tickler
Whoa, man, too much info in this post!
Old April 2, 2008, 12:02 PM   #10
the_right_reverend

Quote:
Whoa, man, too much info in this post!
Look at the post time 3 some in the morn the chickens aint up yet and no coffee
Old April 2, 2008, 05:58 PM   #11
jhansman

Never, ever talk to your dog while reloading. Next to drinking and watching TV, it is the single most dangerous thing you can do while making ammo.
Old April 2, 2008, 08:44 PM   #12
P5 Guy

Mine will freeze up and I have to hit cancel and then try it again. This makes the dispenser run like a maniac and throw a double charge.
Only a few times but it can be a pain.