The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 23, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Venom1956

Question on using Eezox. (health issues?)

Ok, so awhile back I asked you all what would be the BEST chemical for cleaning/preserving your guns. Eezox came highly recommended. So I got some and it works great.

First I'll explain a few things then I will get to the question.

But recently I've noticed alot of complaints about how toxic some of the stuff that is in Eezox is. More so then other ones. Apparently they've wanted to ban one of them?

I live in a very small apt with a bedroom, kitchen and tiny bath with my girlfriend. I need to clean and maintain my guns in my bedroom. Then they are placed in a safe for storage in the closet. I keep my Eezox in a gallon ziplock and the cleaning supplies in ziplocks and a small tupperware container when not in use.

Normally i keep my windows open, to get fresh air, while using it but since its winter its to cold I can only crack them a few inches.

Now both my girlfriend and I sleep in my bedroom and my concern is if we are being exposed excessively to the vapors given our current living situation? Or how dangerous are these fumes?

My other friends use SLIP-2000 on their guns which is supposedly non toxic. Should I look into switching to that?

I as much as I love my collection and want it to be well taken care of. I would feel horrible if in doing so I got myself or especially my girlfriend ill.

I realize this isn't a black and white yes/no answer but I respect alot of members here to try and answer it to the best of their abilities. I want to be sure the info I read was correct. I will also be contacting Paul at Eezox to see what he has to say.

Thank you all for you time.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 23, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
BarryLee

Wow, I was surprised to see that this stuff contains Trichloroethylene which I know has a bad reputation from a health and environmental standpoint. It is a very good solvent and evaporates pretty well which makes it attractive to use, but to me there are better options.

However, I am not sure how much of a real health hazard is presented by occasionally cleaning of your guns, but if it were me I would consider alternatives. At a minimum you should wear gloves to avoid skin contact and use a fan to exhaust the fumes to the outside.

http://www.eezox.info/msds.pdf
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 23, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Carne Frio

This Gunzilla stuff is what I have been using.
http://www.gunzilla.us/
Their MSDS page:
http://www.gunzilla.us/MSDSpage.htm
Old December 23, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Gunzilla works pretty well. It has been my first choice solvent for two years now. I still keep a few others around for serious lead and copper removal. Gunzilla is advertised as a CLP but I haven't found it to be a good lube or protectant.
Old December 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Willie D

Quote:
However, I am not sure how much of a real health hazard is presented by occasionally cleaning of your guns, but if it were me I would consider alternatives. At a minimum you should wear gloves to avoid skin contact and use a fan to exhaust the fumes to the outside.

Actually, I remember reading that OSHA recommends only certain types of gloves for trichloroethelene because it can permeate the most common types of safety gloves and then be trapped against your skin by the glove, unable to evaporate. You are supposedly better of using it bare handed because the evaporation is so fast.

I use Eezox for a few older items that I worry about rusting but use it less now that I know what's in it. I don't know that the OP is any danger with his storage situation but I personally wouldn't really want that in my living quarters.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
Actually, I remember reading that OSHA recommends only certain types of gloves for trichloroethelene because it can permeate the most common types of safety gloves and then be trapped against your skin by the glove, unable to evaporate. You are supposedly better of using it bare handed because the evaporation is so fast.
I believe chemical resistant gloves like neoprene are recommended and they are readily available, so no reason not to use them.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 23, 2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't worry one whit about the amount of trichloroethane in Eezox.

Someone should write an MSDS for Worry.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; December 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old December 23, 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Another vote for Gunzilla. It's great stuff, environmentally friendly, and as safe as anything you're likely to find.
Old December 23, 2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Shadi Khalil

I live in an apartment as well and my wife can't stand the smell of gun cleaners. For that reason, I use the odorless hoops in the spray bottle.
Old December 23, 2012, 09:26 PM   #10
igousigloo

I usually jump through hoops! I realize you meant hoppes. I use eds red always.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Same here, Brian. Yes, there's trichlor in it. But I sure don't think you're any more exposed to it than exposure to the nasty garbage in gasoline while filling up your car.

Everyone is different on resistance to chemicals. If the fumes are a significant bother while cleaning, switch to something else. Otherwise, the very small amount needed in the first place shouldn't be a concern.

Now, if you're bathing yourself in the stuff, that's a different story....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 23, 2012, 10:57 PM   #12
johnbt

I don't wear gloves and don't worry about it and fondly remember the days when Hoppe's had nitrobenzene in it.

Anyway, I chuckled at this part of the definition:

"Trichloroethane is used as an insecticidal fumigant."
Old December 24, 2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Willie D

Quote:
I believe chemical resistant gloves like neoprene are recommended and they are readily available, so no reason not to use them.

Neoprene is NOT recommended for trichloroethelene. Only Vitron gloves are recommended fo extended contact.

See pages 15-16 https://www.raycosafety.com/customer...s/bestperm.pdf

Like I said in my above post, Trichloroethelene can permeate most gloves and

Quote:
If TCE penetrates gloves, it may be worse than working bare-handed, because the gloves keep the TCE from evaporating off of your skin. - http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/hesis/Documents/tce.pdf

The reason why Eezox uses TCE in the first place is probably for this characteristic, which can deliver the rust preventative deeper into the metal's surface.

Last edited by Willie D; December 25, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:39 PM   #14
jmortimer

Ballistol (original CLP), Frog Lube, and Gunzilla are all non-toxic and work well.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:56 PM   #15
BarryLee

Quote:
Neoprene is NOT recommended for trichloroethelene
Ok, that is fine. I referred to the manufacture's MSDS and they recommended neoprene. At this point the OP has received plenty of information and will need to make his own decision about how to proceed.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/trichloroethylene/
- Milton Friedman
Old December 24, 2012, 03:15 PM   #16
mumbo719

When I clean indoors the only thing the wife will let me use is Weapon Shield.

It has a light cinnamon fragrance and does pretty good job as a rust inhibitor.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/220...il-4-oz-liquid