The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 08:07 PM   #26
Hairbag

You will read alot of fodder on here on the "theory" of the GAP 45 and alot of it has merit but after you see how accurate the GAP45 round is I bet you wont think twice about having one! It's is OUR loss that they do not produce more guns that use this round.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:40 PM   #27
droptrd

I like the GAP. 1st glock i ever shot was a 38. ive been a die hard 19 & 23 guy for years. the 38 is at the top of my wishlist
Old October 2, 2012, 08:48 PM   #28
publius

You've got what you need and there are better choices out there. The GAP is an answer to a question that wasn't asked.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:38 PM   #29
ftballgod

Stay away. ammo is expensive and hard to find. yes the grips are smaller but as soon as glock came out with their 21sf (slim frame) i got rid of my Glock 37.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:31 PM   #30
droptrd

The allure of the GAP to me is the fact you can get it in a frame simular in size to the 19/23 in the Glock model 38. Glock doesnt offer a mid sized 45acp for some reason.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:22 AM   #31
Officer's Match

Quote:
Stay away. ammo is expensive and hard to find. yes the grips are smaller but as soon as glock came out with their 21sf (slim frame) i got rid of my Glock 37.
I would agree the 37 is the least appealing of the three GAP models.

Quote:
The allure of the GAP to me is the fact you can get it in a frame simular in size to the 19/23 in the Glock model 38. Glock doesnt offer a mid sized 45acp for some reason.
The G38 is the best Glock made for my shooting preferences. And the G39 is a fantastic answer to those "answer w'out question" comments that invariably come up by those that haven't tried it yet (I was one of 'em ).

Last edited by Officer's Match; October 5, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 03:11 PM   #32
Miami_JBT

My experience with the .45 GAP

I've carried the .45 GAP on duty when I worked for a Central East Florida Agency. It was a Gen 3 GLOCK 37 and at first when I started with that agency I was a GLOCK 22 .40 S&W fan.

Pros:
9mm/.40S&W/.357 SIG Frame
Smooth and soft shooting; little recoil
Accurate as sin

Cons:
The slide is a .45 ACP size slide so it will not fit in any kydex holsters meant for a GLOCK 17 etc.... My old Safariland Raptor Series holster for my GLOCK 22 will not fit a GLOCK 37
Capacity - 10rds versus 15rds in .40 S&W or 13rds in .45 ACP
Ammunition while not impossible to find, it's not easy. Yes, ordering online is a great thing but still....

I like the cartridge and I believe that if it was released way back when the .40 S&W came out then it would have hit main stream. The .45 GAP is a good cartridge and has a good service history. Both the Florida Highway Patrol and the Georgia State Police carry it and have had good reports along with the New York State Police and a couple of other state agencies. The main issue with the .45 GAP is that no one else chambers a pistol in it other then GLOCK. Yes, both Springfield Armory and Para chambered a pistol in it but both of those were dropped from their production. The XD and 1911 are only on the used market now.

I no longer work for that agency and went back to carrying a GLOCK 22 in .40 S&W with my current agency of employment. I still use .45 GAP ammo though.... in my S&W 625. I can find the good stuff cheap when my local shops clear out their .45 GAP stock and load it on the moon clips. Having a 180gr Speed Gold Dot JHP .45 GAP load on moon clips for a S&W 625 is no laughing matter for the bad guy or hog on the business end.

It's a cartridge that can be good but not in the US Market. GLOCK's main issue with the Model 21 was that it was built off the Model 20 which is a 10mm Pistol.... Hence the large size. The magazines for the .45 ACP are the same size as the 10mm mags.... hence the large size. It's easier from a production point to make on size instead of two for a large frame pistol. yes, the SF Frame is smaller but if GLOCK built a dedicated .45 ACP frame it would be smaller then the current Model 21 SF. But that is a marketing issue and they're doing the right thing. .45 ACP pistols aren't the number one selling pistols.... in fact their closer to fifth or sixth place in the market. .40 S&W is the number one selling pistol for LEO contracts and 9mm follows second place due to civilian sales. Followed by .380 Auto, .38 Special, and .22LR.

The GLOCK 38 in .45 GAP is a great compact platform in a great caliber. Except the whole 8rd thing bugs me... for that I carry my Ruger P345 (that I fixed and corrected many of the common issues with it) except that it's even slimmer then the GLOCK 38 grip, carries the same capacity and is chambered in .45 ACP. Oh, it's also the same size as the GLOCK 38 in barrel length and general size.

It's a great idea but on the wrong market and released in the wrong time period. If it came out back in the 9mm vs .45 ACP time of the late 1980s - early 1990s it would have killed. It is a good viable caliber for foreign markets that restrict the ownership of "military" calibers like Mexico and Italy.

In the end.... I might buy a GLOCK 37, GLOCK 38, and GLOCK 39 simply to round out the collection but they have to be DIRT CHEAP. If you want to carry it don't be worried of it under performing just simply understand that it's much like the 5.7x28mm. It has many positives and some negatives. But it will serve you right.

In your case though.... pass on it. GLOCK 38s are a dime a dozen and usually cheap.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:41 PM   #33
mete

NYSP just fataly shot a BG with the issue 45GAP .I don't know what ammo they carry .Performance of course must be close to the ACP.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:46 PM   #34
drail

.45 GAP - just one more absurd idea from the mind of Gaston.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:43 PM   #35
HKGuns

I wouldn't buy it for one reason only. It is a dead round.....In 10 - 20 years it will be harder to buy ammo for it than it is today for a 16GA shotgun, even though for different reasons. The market has spoken regarding 45GAP and 45ACP.

Yes and of course that too drail.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:00 PM   #36
orionengnr

Quote:
NYSP just fataly shot a BG with the issue 45GAP .[
Did it take 45-60 rounds fired by 3-5 officers to place 5-6 hits?

Sorry, but it seems that the typical LEA shooting with a high-cap pistol ends up with some seriously poor shot-to-hit ratios.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:27 AM   #37
mete

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/210060314

Just one ! Typical comments of the woman who knew him He had a good heart ! Made cakes ! etc
History with police is a bit different !
Old October 8, 2012, 12:47 PM   #38
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Did it take 45-60 rounds fired by 3-5 officers to place 5-6 hits?

Sorry, but it seems that the typical LEA shooting with a high-cap pistol ends up with some seriously poor shot-to-hit ratios.
The Glock 37 isn't what I'd call a high-cap pistol.

I suspect that most (if not the majority) of cops carrying .45s in .45 a.c.p. carry the Glock 21, which has a 13-round mag. The 37 has only 10. Relatively few LEOs carry a 1911.

I also suspect the poor shot-to-hit ratios have more to do with minimal practice than the caliber used... That said, I think most of us, in real life-threatening situations, might not have a lot better shot-to-hit ratio than many cops. It's always easier at the range or in competition, than when they're shooting back at you, or you think they're about to do so...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; October 8, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:29 PM   #39
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Stay away. ammo is expensive and hard to find.
At one time the ammo was remarkably cheap-9mm cheap. I was actually thinking about buying one. Unfortunately, I believe the ammo makers read the writing on the wall, and were trying to unload it at that time so it would eventually settle into it's present niche.