The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Socrates

Riot scenario...

I was supposed to work very close to the Fruitvale BART station today. We are having riots in Oakland, as well.

If I had gone to work, and been caught in the middle, what do you do? I would probably not have had a firearm, just Pepper Gel, and possibly Pepper Spray.

Anyone have any solid suggestions???
Old January 8, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Coyote Hitman

Take a gun and lots of ammo, do not be afraid to disseminate lead to those who intend to harm you, leave the pepper at home, run over anyone you feel is a threat. Or you could always stay home and worry less.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3
BuckHammer

If I were in that situation, I would just avoid the area. No sense getting involved in something that is not your conflict. However, if somehow I was stuck in the middle of it, I wouldn't stop (or slow down, probably) my vehicle for anyone.

Probably use the e-brake to execute a perfect 180 degree turn, then head back the other way.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Webleymkv

This would be my weapon of choice (note, this one isn't mine but other than the wheels they look just alike)

or if it's in the shop, this (note, mine's a different color, the wheels aren't the same and I don't have a spoiler)

With one of these in the trunk

And one of these two in the car with me

And probably this as well

Then again, just staying home makes a whole heap of sense too. Does anyone else find it odd that people seem to talk about riots in southern California like other people talk about inclement weather in the midwest?

Last edited by Webleymkv; January 8, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Um-drive away? That was pretty lame as riots go.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Rifleman 173

Try to check your local news BEFORE you leave home or listen to a local radio station on the way to work. No satellite radio in-town.

Plan a couple of different ways, two short ones and a longer route, to get to work. The longer route should incorporate higher ground or elevated land/roads to be able to see further ahead or down the road.

Avoid the seedy areas of town when possible, especially at night.

Have a cell phone with you and, if a riot starts, call into the work area to see how other people got to work and what routes that they might have used. Also see if they can see anything presently happening nearby. If there is a riot going on near your workplace or in front of your workplace, don't risk trying to get there. Stay away and check in with people from time-to-time. If you can't make contact at all, don't go in to work. That would be your major clue something is dreadfully wrong.

Scan ahead of where you're at about 2 or 3 blocks ahead. Anything seem unusual, carefully change your route. Also note fire departments, rescue stations and police departments along the way to and from work. Have a plan to get to one of those if things start to get bad.

Plan to have "camouflaged weapons" with you in your car or vehicle. What I'm talking about is carry something like a carpenter's belt with a roofer's hammer in the side loop. Maybe a couple of flat sheath-like knives tucked into the holster area of where other tools like a small level, a small flashlight, maybe some nails, string, wire and so on are also carried. Keep a small bottle of water in the pouch or holster too along with an energy bar to give you a snack and a little something to drink. You might also carry extra clothing, some old, like what a construction worker would have, along with some worn but comfortable boots or shoes. You might also want to have a mirror of some sort to help you look around corners before you expose yourself to possible rioters, gangbangers, police or other people you might want to avoid. Matches and/or a lighter might also be in order too. You could also have a walking stick to use to help you get around too. Some of those sticks are hollow on the inside so you can also put stuff in them. If you get a metal walking stick, camouflage it to look like wood.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:25 AM   #7
dirty magazine

I would just stay home. There is nothing in the office worth dying for... or having to fight my way through an angry mob. If I hear about riots or see police in riot gear, I'm going home.

I understand that some people have jobs that they need to report to, such as police, fire, ambulance. I don't have that kind of job.
Old January 9, 2009, 07:11 AM   #8
SilentHitz

I don't have a job that I have to go to, but if I did, I agree with others that have no intention of stopping or slowing down...just to be jerked out of my vehicle by idiots who have nothing better to do.

People tend to give you a lot of room when they hear you apply the accelerator instead of the brake...and see a big chunk of metal coming at them.

Photoshop mechanic not included...

Old January 9, 2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Brit

Another AD by nervous cop

Another reason to break and steal! Big lawsuit.
His mother (the dead man's) went on TV to say quit this violence, the people you are hurting did nothing, very nice Lady.

My advice, stay home, jump on to the Firing Line.
Old January 9, 2009, 01:46 PM   #10
onthejon55

Dont stop driving
+1

As long as your car/truck/bradly assualt vehicle is moving forward there's nothing a bunch of rioters can do to you besides scratch your vehicle. I wud stil take a gun and lots of ammo JIC your car dies and they decide to beat you like that poor truck driver in LA.
Old January 9, 2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Socrates

Driving to work:
At the job, due to what I do, and the scrutiny, it is nearly impossible to conceal ANY firearm.

If I bring a firearm, it needs to stay in the car, and, during a riot, cars, alarm or not, are NOT a safe place for firearms. I do not have a gunsafe in the car like PBP.

Pepper spray, wide dispersal pepper spray, might be the way to go, and, drive like heck if the riot finds me.

It's possible today that I might go into a fairly sane situation, and come outside and find the riot has found us.
Stranger things have happened in Bezerkeley.

The only firearm I can think of carrying is a Baby Beretta, and, it's going to rust, due to sweat, etc. and my method of carry.

No easy answers.

What do you do if you get stuck at a light, and, your car is engulfed by rioters?

I do not want to end up like the guy in the truck, in LA...
Old January 9, 2009, 03:31 PM   #12
raimius

If a group of people is threatening you, directly, don't let their location block your escape...i.e. if they attack you, use your car to...move them out of the way...
Old January 9, 2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Grump

Learn the lessons learned from the 1965 Watts riots and the 1971 Kent State troubles.

All of the thread-avoidance tactics mentioned above are good*. What if they don't work?

The following info was widely available long before the LA riots.

Shots fired over the heads of rioters are only temporarily effective and can kill uninvolved people hundreds of yards away.

Shots fired to impact about 10 yards in front of the rioters are extremely unlikely to cause fatal injuries. Pavement, concrete, and bullet fragments in the feet and legs tend to discourage the "afflicted" rioters from coming back.

Further, anyone who runs past a bleeding and injured rioter to close the attack distance is far, far, more of a potentially lethal thread than a pack of shouting hooligans.

*I try to teach my kids a few things while watching TV. Drove me nuts while watching "The Mentalist" when the SUV got bogged down in traffic by a demonstration. I'm saying "it's time to turn around and leave," and "get out of there" before someone took advantage of the vehicle being at a full stop. The guys got the message when something unexpected happened a few moments later.
Old January 9, 2009, 04:35 PM   #14
SilentHitz

Quote:
I do not want to end up like the guy in the truck, in LA...
That was his problem Socrates...he stopped that big azz truck. He should have never stopped. They would have scattered like fleas if they heard that huge truck engine being floored.

Sure they would have continued to throw bricks and stuff, but they wouldn't have been able to get their hands on him.
Old January 9, 2009, 06:24 PM   #15
ElectricHellfire

Time to egress. Death Race style.

Silenthitz, I need the name of your mechanic.
Old January 10, 2009, 12:02 AM   #16
vox rationis

Quote:
At the job, due to what I do, and the scrutiny, it is nearly impossible to conceal ANY firearm.
a snubnose carried in thunderwear might work no? of course thunderwear might not be on hand..I might pick up a pair actually just to have on hand for when deep cover is needed..

stay safe out there buddy

and yeah, stay out of the epicenter area and out of mobbed intersections!
Old January 10, 2009, 02:33 AM   #17
Socrates

I have 3 pair, sm, medium and large. Snub won't work, maybe baby Beretta with what I do, but, I've never tried it.
Think running marathon concealing gun...
Old January 10, 2009, 05:25 AM   #18
SilentHitz

Have you thought about something like a NAA mini?? I know, wouldn't be my 1st choice either, but it beats nothing...and you can hide those little things anywhere. I got a .22 mag. I use for a last ditch go to, better than a sharp stick.

Quote:
Silenthitz, I need the name of your mechanic.
I'll pass it along as soon as I find out....my brother took that "pic".
Old January 10, 2009, 09:15 AM   #19
garryc

No job is worh this happening to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mw2Xg0DELc
Old January 10, 2009, 11:15 AM   #20
Socrates

SilentHitz:
I don't think those are on the Kali 'approved list'.

Hadn't ever considered one, but, you have an excellent point, or two, if you catch my drift...

I was actually thinking a large bottle of bear spray, behind the seat might be the way to go.

Just heard a story last night about a guy getting head butted after a game by a loosing coach. I do the two teams in about a week, but
good news is that coach is gone...
Old January 10, 2009, 01:05 PM   #21
SilentHitz

Quote:
the Kali 'approved list'.
Oh yea, forgot about that...the bear spray might be a good idea. Don't know what the ingredients are in that stuff, ( no bears where I live) but if it's as tough on humans...I wouldn't wanna get blasted with it!
Old January 11, 2009, 10:37 PM   #22
vox rationis

well how about a good fanny pack then?
Old January 11, 2009, 11:34 PM   #23
David Armstrong

Quote:
Don't know what the ingredients are in that stuff, ( no bears where I live) but if it's as tough on humans...I wouldn't wanna get blasted with it!
Bear Spray is just OC pepper spray, packaged a little different and designed with/for a high volume dispersal.

Last edited by David Armstrong; January 12, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:20 AM   #24
Chuckusaret

Quote: Photoshop mechanic not included...

Nice wheels.............