The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2005, 09:31 AM   #1
Obsidean Prime

Long term starage

What is the best way to store amo long term. I have an air tight box but i need something inside to absorbe moisture thats already inside the box do I not?
Old January 14, 2005, 10:32 AM   #2
Doug242ti

I can't imagine a couple of those silca packs tossed in would hurt anything. You can probably find them at most hardware stores.
Old January 14, 2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Sam Adams

Don't let the ammo get too hot (as in a stand-alone shed in the sunbelt). I've kept my ammo (both factory and reloads) in my garage for many years, and I never had a problem. It sits in metal .50 cal. (or larger) cans, which are on the cement (though raised above floor level). The cement stays cool, keeping the ammo relatively cool even if the air temp in there gets above 120.

Do NOT store powder in cans in a hot place. I tossed well over $100 of powder a couple of years back by making that mistake. Put it on a closet shelf somewhere inside.

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands, which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Love work, hate domination, and do not let your name come to the attention of the ruling powers."
-- The Talmud, "Sayings of the Fathers"