The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 24, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Isk

Tally the votes! Responses from Congress.

I know a lot of us have written our Senators and Representatives regarding the proposed anti-gun bills. I also know that a lot of us have shared our responses from those representatives.

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can try to pin down which Senators and Representatives are likely to oppose gun control bills. Particularly, which Democratic Senators and Representatives have our backs. Perhaps this will show us the likelihood of any measures passing the Senate and House.

I'll start. Based on responses I've received from my representatives it appears that Senator Murkowski (R), Representative Young (R) and Senator Begich (D) all oppose further gun control measures.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have written both Senators and my U.S. Representative. I have not received a response from any of them, but they are all avid gun-grabbers so I know the replies will be along the line of "I appreciate your sharing your concerns with me. The thoughts of my constituents are important to me. That is why I am going to ignore you and do what I think is best for your safety."
Old January 24, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
terzmo

The chances of regulations getting through the Congress is alot slimmer than what the Govenors can, are and did do. cuomo, has got them all thinking and that is the dangerous part.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
JimDandy

Maria Cantwell would take a hot glue gun from your cold dead hands.

Patty Murray isn't friendly to the 2nd, but she's also weasel-ish enough to fence sit.

Adam Smith.. I haven't heard a peep out of yet, though I may have missed something in the local papers... no response yet though.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Wyoredman

I have received responses from Wyoming Senator Mike Enzi (R), Senator John Barrasso (R), and Represenative Cynthia Lumis (R). All strongly opposing any further gun control legislation! Yeah!

If anyone is interested in their replies, I can post them.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:48 PM   #6
STW

Steve Daines the rep for Montana appears a good bet. Sen. John Tester's response had obvious wiggle room in it. I get the feeling he'd toss the 2nd in a heartbeat if he thought he can get away by calling himself reasonable. I never got a response from our other Senator, Max Baucus, any time I've contacted him in the last few weeks.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:21 PM   #7
new_camper

Kay Hagen (D) of North Carolina in her response letter basically said she was in favor of "sensible gun control" while stating she enjoyed hunting.
I have not heard from Richard Burr (R) of NC
And based on Congressman Mark Meadows (R) of NC response, I feel like he is pro 2nd amendment. Here is a copy of his response

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your concerns over the possibility of increased gun regulation in light of the recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. Your views are very important, and I appreciate you taking the time to share them with me.

When I heard about the tragedy that took place in Connecticut on December 14, 2012, I was shocked and deeply saddened over this senseless attack on innocent children, teachers and school administrators. As a father, I cannot begin to imagine the horror that those families are going through, as they grieve the loss of their children and loved ones. My thoughts and prayers are with all of them during this difficult time.

Like most Americans, I am horrified by these crimes. The tragedy in Newtown has, once again, brought the debate over our Second Amendment rights to the forefront and has renewed assertions that more restrictive guns laws would have prevented the tragedy in Newtown and other violent crimes.

As a strong defender of the Second Amendment, I will always fight to secure the right of law-abiding citizens to purchase and bear personal firearms. I believe that the best way to prevent acts of violence is to resolutely enforce our criminal laws and to give our citizens proper guidance and training so that they are familiar with firearms and prepared to defend themselves should the need arise. I am working hard with local school officials and sheriff’s departments to figure out what additional measures we can take to ensure that our schools are as safe as possible.

The bottom line is that criminals and individuals who intend to do harm to others are not deterred by additional rules and regulations prohibiting gun ownership. Restricting the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their families against harm by enacting strict gun-control laws would only further expose the innocent to violent crime.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. Your feedback and suggestions are always welcome. It is an honor to serve as your United States Congressman. If you have not done so already, please visit my website – www.meadows.house.gov – and sign up for my eNewsletter.

Sincerely,

Mark Meadows
Member of Congress
Old January 25, 2013, 12:49 PM   #8
iraiam

We are not alone, my 2 Colorado Senators initially came out in support of an AWB before it was even written.

Now the latest news is that they "remain uncommitted" which is not how it went down. they went from supporting it to uncommitted.

Their responses to me have also softened, the last response I received contained no mention of Assault weapons or high capacity magazines, but I still continue to write them whenever I come up with a new argument.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; January 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:29 PM   #9
MLeake

There seems to be a recurring theme among Reps and Senators who have a D for party affiliation that they support hunting, but support universal background checks, magazine capacity limits, and a renewed AWB.

I think we are going to see some serious party-line votes in the near future, with the exceptions of those who come from tightly contested districts.

Sorry if that is too political, mods, but the replies have followed a definite, and seemingly scripted, trend. (I would consider exceptions, such as Begich, to support the idea that in some areas gun control is a career killer. Alaska would be one such area.)

Edit:

In Missouri, so far, Senator Roy Blunt and Congressman Sam Graves are on our side. Senator Claire McCaskill supports hunting, and the right of citizens to own "appropriate" weapons, but she wants to reinstate the AWB, limit magazine capacity, and close the "gunshow loophole." Governor Nixon favors a ban on all forms of semi-automatic firearms, but probably won't push that too hard as it would bite him in a big way.

Again, seems pretty straight party-line and scripted.

Last edited by MLeake; January 25, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:55 PM   #10
adamc

Here in Connecticut..

You don't have to ask about what side of the fence "They" are on
Old January 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Wyoredman

Letter From Represenative Cynthia Lumis

Here is a letter sent to me today by my Represenative in the U.S. House, Cynthia Lumis (R), Wyoming:
Quote:
Dear (Wyoredman):

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. It is good to hear from you.

As a fifth generation Wyoming rancher, I know firsthand the importance of the Second Amendment to our way of life in Wyoming. Firearms are important for self-defense, recreation or business, as is the case for Wyoming’s ranchers. Our Founding Fathers believed so strongly in our right to own and use firearms that they made it part of our Bill of Rights. I will work to preserve the fundamental, constitutional, individual right of law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms. All too often, this right is under attack in Washington by those who do not fully understand its importance in the rural west.

The senseless shootings in Aurora, CO and Newtown, CT have led to an increased push for gun control. As a mother, I can barely imagine the horror and tragedy experienced by the parents of the Newtown victims. But restricting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiders won’t solve the problem.

I joined several other Republican Members of Congress in sending a letter to President Obama declaring our support for the Second Amendment and opposition to any bans on firearms or ammunition, whether through legislation or Executive Order. We sent this letter in response to the President’s call for resurrecting the ban on semi-automatic weapons and banning magazines larger than ten rounds. The President also announced 23 Executive Orders to advance his gun-control policy. Our letter to the President stresses the need to fight criminals, not turn law-abiding gun owners into criminals with draconian gun control measures.

Some of the Executive Orders may sound acceptable at first glance, such as those that purport to make the laws we already have on the books more effective. But the Executive Branch will have the power to unilaterally fill in the details, so we have to be vigilant in tracking how these orders are implemented and whether they affect the constitutional rights of citizens. As a Member of the House Second Amendment Task Force, I am actively engaged in protecting gun owners from misguided gun control effects. As we work to better enforce existing gun laws and make our streets and schools safe, we cannot in the process disarm law-abiding citizens, undermining their safety and constitutional rights.

I am also attempting to help pass legislation to advance Second Amendment rights for gun owners. In the last Congress, I cosponsored H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. Introduced by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-FL), this measure would establish a national reciprocity standard under which concealed weapon permit holders in one state could also carry a concealed weapon in other states that issue concealed carry permits.

Also in the 112th Congress, I authored H.R. 615, the Collectible Firearms Protection Act. This legislation would overturn the U.S. Department of State’s decision to block the importation of American-made M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines from South Korea. The State Department had previously approved the sale of these items in the United States, but decided to reverse its decision during President Obama’s tenure as President.

The State Department does not have the authority to deny legal firearms to law-abiding citizens. These firearms are popular with collectors and recreational shooters, are unquestionably legal, and their importation is already regulated by the Justice Department. In fact, the Reagan Administration approved a similar sale from South Korea in the 1980’s. This is not about diplomacy or foreign policy—this is a domestic issue and a Second Amendment issue. While H.R. 615 expired at the end of the 112th Congress, I will continue working to reverse the State Department’s unwarranted stonewalling of this legitimate firearms transaction.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to me. I value your input. If you haven’t done so already, I would like to encourage you to visit my website at www.lummis.house.gov. There you can sign up to receive my newsletter, and have access to a wealth of other information. I won’t flood your email box, but I will provide you with updates once in a while about activities in Washington that affect our lives in Wyoming. I hope you will sign up so that we can stay in close touch, and I look forward to seeing you in Wyoming.

Sincerely,

Cynthia M. Lummis

Member of Congress
While quite lengthy, I do believe this letter from a very PRO-GUN Washington Legislator, gives some insite into the people on our side who are representing us in D.C. I also think several TFL members may learn some of the behind-the scene stuff that is currently going on in Washington from Rep. Lumis' letter. I hope you all find this letter as infromative as I did.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:53 AM   #12
DavidB2

Florida Senators

Florida is split down the middle in the Senate. Bill Nelson (D) wrote me back to say that he values gun control; Rubio (R) told me in reply to my email that is for "defending the 2nd Amendment" and is against new bills being presented. Haven't heard back from my congressman; but he is a conservative Republican so he will probably be against any gun control measures.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:40 AM   #13
adamc

I did get one automated responce that my message was received,
And that the official will review my comments at a later date

Only one

That goes to sshow you
how important that stuff haha is
Here in Connecticut and washington hahaha

I hope not, but it looks like we are sunk here in Connecticut
Old January 27, 2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Crankgrinder

I live in Texas our congressmen all seem to have very pro 2A track records, our governor came on TV and warned washington against knee jerk politics and in the same speech said "you should be able to carry your gun anywhere you want to in the state of Texas".
Old January 27, 2013, 09:36 PM   #15
mj246

In Nevada I received one message from Dean Heller and two messages from Harry Reid. Heller's response to my concerns were a little vague, but seem to indicate a likelihood to vote no on any bans, but may be in support of universal background checks or other similar proposals.

Reid went from first telling me that "every idea should be on the table as we discuss how to best protect our children" in response to my first email to "We must work to protect this right by enforcing laws that keep guns away from terrorists and criminals. However, the rights of responsible gun owners should not be compromised by individuals who use firearms to commit crimes" in response to my second. He's a very shrewd career politician and I'm betting that the political wind among his constituents made him change his outlook some for fear of losing votes in 2016. However, I'm still not 100% sure exactly where he stands; Perhaps he will also vote no to a new AWB, but agree to some other gun control provisions like universal and tighter background checks. Again I'm honestly not sure.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:36 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Only one I've heard from is Mark Warner, and he's already flipped on us.

Gerry Connolly is my rep. I've known him for years. He's not unlike Maria Cantwell. I had thought that I and a friend had really made some changes in his views on guns. Can't tech an old liberal new tricks, I guess...

I saw him a month before Sandy Hook and told him in no uncertain terms that A) I really, REALLY like him as a person, but B) he had forever and for all time lost my vote and C) if he EVER came to my front door looking for my vote I'd bumrush his ass right off my porch.

He laughed, I laughed, but he knew I was serious.

Tim Kaine I've not heard from, either. But I don't expect to. He's a complete and total gun grabbing tool, and I really can't believe the Old Dominion elected his communist ass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:07 PM   #17
JimDandy

Just got another reply from Maria Cantwell. She's backtracking a bit. Or at least her language is. She's probably rabidly anti-gun. I've seen somewhere, I think a non-partisan on the issues .org website with her on record as believing there is no right for John Q Public to own firearms. In her latest reply she mentions Feinstein's bill, but doesn't say she'll support or oppose it. She mentions new common sense laws, as well as enforcing new ones, and she's starting to talk about putting mental health in the discussion. I suspect she's getting the statistics on which side her bread is buttered on in this State and is trying to find just how far she can push it.

Regardless, I think a lot of the anti's are backtracking.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:32 PM   #18
gilfo

I heard from my two senators and one congressman here in Fla.

Nelson a Dem seems like he will vote FOR a ban.
Rubio a Rep seems like a vote NO for a ban.
Mica my Congressman a Rep says he will NOT for a ban.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:27 PM   #19
HK_Flo

Reply I got from Claire McCaskill (D) Missouri

Quote:
January 26, 2013
Dear _______,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees Americans the fundamental right to bear arms. I strongly support legal and safe gun ownership by law-abiding citizens and have consistently voted to uphold this constitutional right. I welcomed and supported the recent Supreme Court decision in the District of Columbia v. Heller case that made clear that the constitutional right to gun ownership is an individual one.

At the same time, we have to make sure that guns do not fall into the hands of individuals who should not have them. We should have sensible, constitutional controls on gun ownership that address safety in our communities, like preventing the mentally ill and criminals from possessing guns.

Recent tragedies, such as the mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado, and the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut, have made it clear that our nation's current gun laws should be reconsidered. Efforts to close the gun show loophole, provide for universal background checks on all guns sales, and to ensure that those with court-determined, dangerous mental health diagnoses do not get access to guns are being considered. While I want to closely study any proposal before I vote on it, I welcome these initiatives, because they represent sensible steps to keep our communities safe while respecting gun ownership rights. Importantly, legal experts believe each of these steps is consistent with the Second Amendment.

Knowing that those responsible for some of the most prominent mass shootings in recent history have suffered from mental illness, it is equally clear that we must also consider mental health services available to our citizens. A more robust mental health care system may help identify and treat individuals who need help before they resort to violence. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly known as "Obamacare," will substantially expand important mental health coverage when it is fully implemented in 2014. I am hopeful that efforts to repeal these vital expansions in mental health care will come to an end, while new efforts will be undertaken to expand access to care.

Importantly, I firmly believe that an attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures can be done without infringing upon law-abiding citizens' right to own firearms or unduly burdening the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri.

You may be interested to know that, in the past, my commitment to respecting the Second Amendment has led me to vote to permit residents of the District of Columbia to own and purchase firearms and to prevent funding for any international organization, including the United Nations, that places a tax on any firearm owned by a United States citizen. I have also opposed other inappropriate measures related to gun ownership rights, such as forcing Missouri to accept other states' firearms laws.

While the debate over appropriate gun control measures is divisive, I believe there is middle ground here. This nation can come together to support sensible laws that prevent the mass murder of innocent citizens -- especially innocent children -- while we continue to respect our constitution and its Second Amendment rights. Please know that, as your United States Senator, I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress considers gun-related legislation in the months ahead.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator
sounds somewhat reasonable... No mention of "assault weapons" or mag limits but it seems she is for private sale background checks.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:33 PM   #20
TomInAL

I have been using popvox to track bills and contact my representatives. I heard back from Representative Mike Rogers, AL-3.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me with regard to gun ownership rights. It is good to hear from you and I am pleased that we both support a citizen's right to bear arms.

I believe that gun control legislation violates both the letter and the spirit of the United States Constitution. Throughout all my previous years in Congress, I have consistently supported legislation that strengthened an individual's right to bear arms, and I will continue in the 113th Congress. As long as I represent you in Congress, I will vigorously defend the Second Amendment.

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 President Obama issued a plan of action titled "Now is the Time: The President's Plan to Protect Children and our Communities by Reducing Gun Violence." In it the President calls for many reforms like a national assault weapon ban, a ban on high-capacity magazines, stricter background checks, ways to make schools safer, and expanded mental health services. The plan included calls for Congressional Action, but also included 23 Executive Orders. I am very concerned with these Executive Orders and his use of executive privilege to bypass Congress. As these issues come before Congress rest assured that I will continue to strongly support the Second Amendment and vote against any of the President's proposals that infringe upon the rights of law abiding Americans.

Again, thank you for contacting me and I am pleased we agree on this matter.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:38 PM   #21
CowTowner

Quote:
Recent tragedies, such as the mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado, and the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut, have made it clear that our nation's current gun laws should be reconsidered. Efforts to close the gun show loophole, provide for universal background checks on all guns sales, and to ensure that those with court-determined, dangerous mental health diagnoses do not get access to guns are being considered. While I want to closely study any proposal before I vote on it, I welcome these initiatives, because they represent sensible steps to keep our communities safe while respecting gun ownership rights. Importantly, legal experts believe each of these steps is consistent with the Second Amendment.
What part of "...shall not be infringed" doesn't he get?

Senator Ted Cruz (R) against any gun control
Senator John Cornyn(R) against any gun control
Congressman Marc Veasey (D) NO RESPONSE
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 28, 2013, 02:59 PM   #22
Warrior1256

My two senators, Paul and McConnell, say they will support us but my representitive, John Yarmuth, is on record supporting gun control.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:36 PM   #23
Alabama Shooter

Mo Brooks:

Quote:
And from his point of view, it's not about hunting or sport. Instead, Brooks said that history shows disarming a populace allows for the rise of dictatorial central governments. “The Second Amendment prevents our central government from even thinking about seizing dictatorial power that ends our republic or democracy,” he said.

I’m not OK with the people in New York City dictating to the rest of the country a set of gun ownership principles that are contrary to the wishes of the vast majority of the people of Alabama,” said Brooks. “That’s not New York City’s business.”

He joins a long list in Alabama, where the state’s top law enforcement official, Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange, has said national tragedies should not be used a pretext to take away constitutional rights.

I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment right to bear arms. And my approach to the Second Amendment is twofold,” said Brooks this week. “First, constitutional limitations permitted by the Second Amendment should be done on a state-by-state basis. What the people in New York City want is dramatically different from what the people of Alabama want, maybe from what the people of Nevada, Wyoming or Idaho want.”

“The second part is that the purpose of the Second amendment is to ensure that the central government complies with the Constitution and all of other rights and liberties protected by the Bill of Rights and subsequent amendments,” said Brooks.

“As a general rule, I have no intention of preventing mentally competent, law-abiding citizens from owning such weapons as are in conformity with our founding fathers 2nd Amendment purpose.”

Brooks said he didn’t think federal bans on different categories of weapons would become law. “I think it’s a dead issue in the House, but I could be wrong,” predicted Brooks.
Could be better but still pretty solid. He does a little dancing to protect the tenth but he is solid.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:53 PM   #24
Alabama Shooter

Martha Roby:

Quote:
“My staff and I are carefully reviewing the details of the President’s proposals,” Rep. Roby said. “As a Member of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, I look forward to engaging in hearings devoted to finding ways to ensure schools are safe for students.

“I’m a gun owner myself, and I strongly value the rights guaranteed in the Second Amendment. The overwhelming majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens who strictly follow all applicable state and local regulations. I will oppose any effort to take away the rights of law-abiding American citizens to own firearms.”
She was endorsed by GoA.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:57 PM   #25
amathis

Vermont is lost. . . . .

Patrick Leahy(D) supports gun control
Peter Welch(D) supports gun control
Bernie Sanders(Socialist) supports gun control

We ran an attempt at an AWB out of our legislature this past week. Looks like these three want to be replaced. . . . .