The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2001, 02:03 PM   #1
Icopy

I finally managed to remove the upper receiver from the frame on my Ruger MKII Target Model, thanks to the people on this board. I also detailed stripped the hammer/sear group. This gun was filthy. I reassembled the hammer/sear assembly. Reinstalled the upper receiver to frame. Inserted the mainspring assembly. Pulled backed and released the bolt. Pulled the trigger and…nothing. What am I missing? I can’t find a detailed manual anywhere. I even tried those firearm disassembly books and the guide doesn’t go into that much detail. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 24, 2001, 03:15 PM   #2
Lefty

R-Mk 1&2

The floating stirup or leg, from the hammer, that sits on top of the hammer spring is in the wrong position.

Step #1: Unlock the closing latch and pull out on the latching cover [or whatever they call it :-)!!], but do not pull down on the bolt stop, which protrudes from the top of the action immediately behind the rear sight.

Look inside, you will see a floating blued "stirup" or leg hanging from the hammer. Make sure it is to the rear of the firearm before you close the cover. You can see the place where the spring resides in that cover, that's where it needs to sit. I find by reassembling it upside down with the barrel tipped up makes it easy & fast ... at least after you've done it once or twice.

Good luck ... and tight groups!!