The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 14, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1
SHE3PDOG

Steyr M95 markings

I picked up a Steyr M95 at the gun show today for what seemed like a pretty reasonable price even if it doesn't end up fitting into my collection well. There are a lot of markings all over it, and I'm a little lost as to what a few of them mean. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

Full view

Left of the barrel

Left of the receiver

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old December 15, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2
PetahW

Since the only stampings I see are the number "46" on the LH side of the receiver ring & bbl, and on the nosecap, and the manufacturer's crest marking atop the receiver ring (the Budapest, Hungary arsenal), I would have to WAG that "46" is the rifle's SN - typically stamped on most Euro military rifle's parts.

You can find out more here: http://www.hungariae.com/Mann95.htm

Old December 15, 2013, 07:27 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The "46" is probably the last two digits of the serial number; manufacturing in Europe for many years involved fitting of parts prior to final finishing and assembly, and numbering the parts made sure that hand fitted parts came together again after final polishing and bluing. In military weapons, they also kept soldiers from mixing parts while cleaning their guns.

Jim
Old December 15, 2013, 09:01 PM   #4
SHE3PDOG

Thanks for that website. Also, I figured it wasn't the SN due to it being such a low number, but it would make perfect sense if that were simply the last two digits of it. I'm thinking it definitely has a spot in my collection.

Edit: After looking at the website for a bit, it also seems entirely possible that the 46 is the last two digits of the year it was accepted into service.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old December 16, 2013, 07:46 AM   #5
BoogieMan

Its the last 2 digits of serial. Very likely doesnt match the serial number on the receiver as these things were rebuilt many times during the service life.
FYI- They are a ton of fun to shoot. Not bad on accuracy even with 1938 Nazi ammo. If it has the original but plate you will want something more than a "T" shirt between it and your shoulder.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 16, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
PetahW

FWIW, the SN is usually on the receiver ring's LH or RH side; the last two digits (only) are usually stamped on various parts.

The only number I see on the receiver ring's LH side is "46".

Last edited by PetahW; December 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old December 17, 2013, 12:50 AM   #7
SHE3PDOG

Good info. So, is there anywhere on the gun where it might say the full SN? Also, I'm bringing it out to the range this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it shoots. I'm not expecting too much, but it seems like it will be fun.

Old December 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #8
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE3PDOG

So, is there anywhere on the gun where it might say the full SN?
FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetahW

the SN is usually on the receiver ring's LH or RH side
Old December 17, 2013, 02:16 PM   #9
SHE3PDOG

There isn't a larger number than 46 anywhere that I can see.

Old December 18, 2013, 12:22 AM   #10
Rambler

According to the M95 site, the BARREL is the serialized part. Take the stock off and have a look.
Old December 18, 2013, 06:49 PM   #11
PetahW

Welcome to TFL, Rambler - AND, yes, you're correct !

I stand corrected

The stock most likely needs be removed to look for the SN, since the OP says no larger number is visible to him.