The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2009, 08:52 PM   #1
horatioo

savage arms model 67 series E pump SHOTGUN 12 ga

What do you think of this shotgun?

Thank you for any replies.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:00 AM   #2
horatioo

I guess there are no opinions on this shotgun. Thanks anyway.

Horatio
Old May 10, 2010, 05:08 AM   #3
gmccbi

I have one of those....

Sorry for taking so long to answer your post but I just saw it today.

I have a Stevens/Savage 67 series E. As far as I can say, if works great. I only have one problem....No user manual.

Do you know where I can get a copy of one? I'd hate to try to tear it down without one and it seems almost impossible to get one. Heck, I don't even know how old this shotgun is because there are no dates although there is some stamped information and, strangely, some random stampings around the base of the barrel. Things like a sideways letter P, a number 1 in a box, a sideways symbol that looks like a spade and on top the number 52 and a letter Y.

It seems that Stevens was bought out a number of times and these manuals and other information has been lost.

I did find some books for sale but nothing that said that the book actually contained a user manual.

I think what I am trying to ask of you is if you don't know of a source of a downloadable manual, if you would be kind enough to use a camera and snap pictures of each applicable page of your manual - that's assuming that you have one.

I really hate to ask you but I believe that I have exhausted all available sources for this manual. I'd also like to find out just how old this gun is. That part is not important - I'm just curious. The gune is, for me, to use...I am not a collector.

In any event, any assistance that you can give me for the gun would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again...

Greg Casselman
[email protected]
Old June 9, 2014, 09:35 PM   #4
DallasCMT

Did any one ever locate a manual? I have a Savage Model 30 Series E and no manual. Got it at a fair price, it's in good shape, but no idea on the choke or disassembly.

Here's the marking on mine. It's a 20 ga, 28" vent rib. From what I hear on the Savage forum, the 52 is the assembler's mark, the SP1 is a Stevens test mark, but no idea on the square 3. Funny you have a 1 in the box, I have a 3 in the box.

Old June 9, 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
marine6680

One of those stamps is a date code.

My fiance has one in 410 that her grandfather left her.
Old June 9, 2014, 11:50 PM   #6
jeager106

From Jan. of '09??????????
Wow.
F.W.I.W. I wouldn't even consider any other pump action s.g. than the Mossy 500 or Rem. 870 Express.
Both are time tested & proven over many decades, prices very right and reputation & popularity can't be beat.
Savage/Stevens never built a durable s.g., ergo why they don't have a good resale value.
Old June 10, 2014, 01:03 AM   #7
bamaranger

Savage 67

I've got one of those....a 67 that is, not sure if its an "E" model or not.

Mine is an an heirloom gun, my Dad bought it about 1970. It's a 16 ga, 28" plain barrel bbl and fixed, modified choke. No choke tubes in those days. We also had a .410, that one went to my sister. The 16ga has a surprisingly nice piece of walnut for the butt and foreend.

My take on the the "67's" is that they were budget guns for folks not buying an 870 or a Win 1200. I'm not so sure that Dad didn't pay about $67.00 for the gun! That was his approach to firearms, not much more than a tool and most affordable route possible. The 67 has a single action bar, and is not the smoothest action going. I see lots of used 67's, most heavily used and abused,in the pawn shops.

That said, both of those old guns took a lot of bunnies, some pheasants and a handful of grouse. Neither failed in any way, and they hold a lot of memories.
Old June 10, 2014, 04:33 AM   #8
Virginian

The Stevens was a lower price alternative to the Remington, Ithaca, and the Winchester Model 12. I had a friend who used one duck hunting, and as far as I remember it worked fine, but pump shotguns were never rocket science. "De Shootin'est Gent'man" used a Winchester 97. No one ever built a cheaper built shotgun than a Winchester Model 1200. Huge difference from a 12. I forget when Mossberg introduced the 500, and it was not expensive but it worked and for the most part kept working, and quickly gained a good following.
Back then a cheap pump was not revered nearly as much as some do so these days. Tactical and "home defense" were never even mentioned, and there was no internet for self proclaimed experts who have never fired a shot in anger to tell you why you must have a short barrel or a rail and other add ons to do anything.
Old June 10, 2014, 09:02 AM   #9
marine6680

The date code on those is a little weird. Its a letter number combo that you have to use a chart to figure out. You can't just look and infer the year without the chart.