The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1
hunter33

Advice for my youth hunt

My youth hunt started last weekend "one deer tag".Me and my dad left for the weekend for my hunt.Anyways as the weekend past i missed to does that weekend with my dads 30-06.I usually use my 22-250 but i hate using it because its so small but im alot more use to it then the 06 so what do i use for this next weekend?
Old November 12, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Dirty_Harry

How do you shoot with the .30-06? You may miss because you are worried about recoil. I would always go with what you shoot best.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 12, 2007, 09:02 PM   #3
hunter33

Thats what my father said it might be little to much recoil.I dont think it is but sometimes when where shooting i flinch but never do with my 22-250.LIke i said i hate using the 22-250 for deer.so what you think?
Old November 12, 2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Greybeard

' Sounds like you might best stick with the 22/250. I've got a good friend that's dropped several big deer in their tracks with one. But, he practices year round on prarie dogs.

FWIW, you might have your dad get ya a box of the "low recol" loads for the 06 and get used to it at the range before trying again on deer.
Old November 12, 2007, 09:34 PM   #5
hunter33

ok well i will i also have a cow elk hunt coming up will those rounds do the job for elk to?Im kind of afraid if i dont get the deer in the vitals that we will be tracking it for a long time.what you think?
Old November 12, 2007, 09:36 PM   #6
fisherman66

I'd spend some time behind a 22lr if I were you. Focus on calling the shot.
Old November 12, 2007, 09:39 PM   #7
hunter33

haha i shoot my 22 all the time.I shoot my pellet gun everyday.Its 1250fps about the same as my 22.I also shot all of my other guns alot to but not as often.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:27 PM   #8
langenc

The low recoil loads are available but I have read they are not that much reduced.

Have your dad find someone that reloads to load you some reduced loads. Check the Hodgdon website and used H 4895 powder (only that one) and download some published loads for reduced recoil. Get that stock on your shoulder and it will be much better than on the arm.
Old November 13, 2007, 07:24 AM   #9
fisherman66

Quote:
i shoot my 22 all the time
It takes more than just shooting. I assume your 30'06 is accurate and you are flinching. The 22 is a tool to remove the flinch. When you anticipate getting slammed by the centerfire rifle you tense up and close your eyes. That's awful for accuracy. When you call the shot the trigger breaks by surprise and sometimes you even see a vapor trail or a glint behind the bullet. If you have the blinks the 22 needs to be shot with the same focus as you would use in the field. Take a regular breath, let half out and slowly squeeze the trigger keeping the crosshairs steady until you are surprised by the ignition of the cartridge. Practice in the same types of positions you are in while deer hunting.

Are you sure you missed on the two shoots you took? No hair, no blood in a 20 yard circle or bigger? Sound is also an indicator of a hit. Whom-bump or Crack-thump is what a hit sounds like. Are you seeing a reaction from the deer? A clean miss looks different from a hit (sometimes the difference is slight, like a tensing or jumping; other time the deer just falls.)

I'd also use the gun that you are most comfortable with.
Old November 13, 2007, 10:27 AM   #10
hunter33

ok i think you right because i do close my eyes right before i pull that trigger.Yes im sure i missed and we did about a 40 yards search for about 1 hours each time.When i shot at both deer they just went off hoping like they do when they run.
Old November 13, 2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
ok i think you right because i do close my eyes right before i pull that trigger.
Yup, the ole 06 is a little too much gun. Take the .22-250 definatly, can you easily hit the deer in the vitals with the rifle? If yes, then you are fine.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 13, 2007, 04:44 PM   #12
JAXX

Im surprised the 22-250 is legal to hunt with in Oregon. It definately isn't here in Wyoming. Anyway, if the 30-06 is a little too much gun for you, maybe save up and get yourself a .243. That is a great gun, especially for people who are more recoil sensitive. I know it doesn't help right now, but maybe for next season. Otherwise, low recoil loads for the -06. The 22-250 is too small for the Elk hunt.
Old November 13, 2007, 07:10 PM   #13
hunter33

ok thanks i will use the 22-250 for now.
Old November 13, 2007, 07:14 PM   #14
hunter33

do you guys think the 280 is a little to much recoil?I am 15 now and am growing alot and i figure soon i will be able to handle more recoil?
Old November 13, 2007, 07:14 PM   #15
fisherman66

I think that's a good idea. Keep the eyes open and squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it. Good luck, and let us know how it works.
Old November 13, 2007, 07:32 PM   #16
davlandrum

Hunter33 - probably too late for this year, but talk with your dad about maybe trading in your 22-250 for a 243. Plenty of gun for blacktails, mild recoil. Will work for varmits as well as the 22-250.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 13, 2007, 07:43 PM   #17
hunter33

Haha i have tryed anyways i wouldnt want to he always tells me never get rid off your guns ever.So what do you think about the 280s recoil?
Old November 13, 2007, 07:57 PM   #18
davlandrum

No idea on .280.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart