The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2006, 05:53 PM   #1
springmom

black "plastic" crud????

OK, troops. Took the new Beretta A391 Urika 20ga out to shoot trap with the hubster this afternoon. I had a great time, didn't do very well, and I realize I really really ought to get some lessons and PROBABLY need to have my stock shortened a half inch or so.

But I'm posting because of what comes out of my barrel when I clean it. Apart from the obvious burned gunpowder crud, there are also these pieces of what look for all the world like black plastic. There isn't even anything plastic ON that shotgun, my shells are yellow, and I don't know what it is I'm seeing. Hubster says nothing like that comes out of his shotgun, and he was cleaning his at the same time.

I'll post pix if I need to, but for now, it's black plastic irregular bits of stuff, many as much as half inch almost, irregular shape.

What on earth am I getting out of my barrel?????

Springmom the shotgun newbie (who is still having a ball at it!)

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 17, 2006, 06:24 PM   #2
tadman

Plastic fouling

Those pieces of crud that look like black plastic, are most likely plastic fouling from the plastic wads. You'll get more of it with a tighter choke.

I have been seen on occasion with an AL391 Urika 12ga heading for the trap fields. I have the Parrallel Target model. Mine came with 2 butt pads, one thin , the other thicker to adjust the LOP sort of. It also came with a set of shims to adjust the cant of the stock.

You might want to shoot it for a while before shortening the stock, cause it's a lot more difficult to make the stock longer after you cut it down

Enjoy, and while you are out, stop by the skeet field some time too.
Old September 17, 2006, 06:57 PM   #3
bobhwry

What kind of shells are you shooting?? Most likely it's the plastic wads from shooting cheap ammo. That Beretta deserves better!!
Old September 17, 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
springmom

I've used two different kinds, and had it both times. One was Remington Premium STS (and they were not cheap!! The other is Federal's Top Gun target load, not so expensive but not the cheapest either.

So what would you recommend???

Springmom

home on the web:

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 17, 2006, 07:56 PM   #5
cloudcroft

I recommend you do absolutely nothing!

It's normal for shotguns.

But if it bothers you, just clean the barrel once-in-a-while using a solvent that is rated for plastic wad residue removal, too.

In short, it's no big deal.

-- John D.
Old September 17, 2006, 09:10 PM   #6
springmom

Thanks, guys

I'm sort of obsessive-compulsive about making certain my guns get CLEAN after shooting, and I didn't think I'd EVER get all those little flakes out of the barrel this afternoon!!! LOL! I use Hoppe's #9 and actually I do think it's rated to get that crud out (eventually).

First time I saw it I thought the gun was coming apart, then realized there is no plastic anywhere on the Urika

Springmom

home on the web:

Old September 18, 2006, 04:52 AM   #7
KD5NRH

Boresnakes come in 12 and 20ga too.

Find some Hoppes Elite (in the little spray bottle - refill it with #9 when you run out) and give a couple of squirts on the Snake between the string and the brush, then pull it through. If you do this whenever there's a break in shooting, it will make the end-of-day bore cleaning a lot easier.

Same thing works for rifles and pistols too. I can usually get the third or fourth patch to come out looking brand new if I snake the bore with a little Hoppes before the thorough cleaning.
Old September 18, 2006, 08:03 AM   #8
hoghunting

springmom,

Glad that you found a new 20 ga that you like. If LOP seems too long, if right-handed, pull your left hand closer to the receiver. Try it next time and see if it helps.
Old September 18, 2006, 09:51 AM   #9
springmom

Thanks! I will try that.

You know, what I really would like to do is find somebody who can give me lessons. I read somebody else's thread about taking lessons after years of shotgunning. The guys on the handgun forums are always talking about going to Thunder Ranch or Gunsite or whatever. What I need is somebody who really knows their stuff, and who won't charge me the cost of the Beretta, to teach me how to hold it, how to sight, and how to follow through. I can READ about it but it isn't the same as real instruction. And it is so different from rifle (which I'm pretty good at) that I really need to have the difference taught to me...right.

Anybody know any such critter in the Houston area? Preferably north?

Springmom

home on the web:

Old September 18, 2006, 07:05 PM   #10
tadman

Instructors

The NSSA has a listing of instructors on their website. There is likely someone in your area.

NSSA
Old September 18, 2006, 08:28 PM   #11
dave0520

Hehe, Springmom, you and I are the exact opposite. I'm not a strong rifle shooter offhand (although better than many), but I can shoot a shotgun like it's a part of me. The first time I picked up a shotgun I shot 22/25 in trap. This was last year at the age of 16...good times. Now I can consistantly get 23-24/25 although I have been in many months.

You may be able to find a well qualified shotgun shooter at your range. Most shooters are usually willing to help a beginner/person who needs work on form.