The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 28, 2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Mortar questions

Someone offered to sell a mortar to me.

I have some questions, gentlemen, if you may kindly enlighten me.

Do I need a separate stamp for each mortar shell? What if I don't make the shells explosive? I can't imagine I would need a stamp for each shell.

Can I reuse the shell if I don't make the shells explosive? Will the impact of the mortar shell hitting the ground cause the shell to be deformed or destroyed, so that it can't be reused? If it can be reused, how many reuses per shell? Will the detonation of the of the charge propellant cause deformation to the shell, to the point where it can't be reused?

Assuming I can reuse the shell, where the heck do I buy propellant and primer (if it uses a primer)? An internet search yields nothing, other than sales to military.

Also, as far as retrieving the shell, if it can be reused, I am assuming that I will see a puff of dirt, and then know the location of where the shell landed from the puff. Will I be able to spot and easily retrieve the shell? Am I being realistic?

As you can tell, I have no desire to continually buy shells, it the mortar requires one new shell for each shot.
Old August 29, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Explosive mortar shells are destructive devices. There are "target" shells available that you fill with powder to see your shots. These are not DDs.
That's all I know.
Old August 29, 2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Fuzzy memory time

I talked to a guy with a functioning mortar at KCR back in 05 or 06. He had half a dozen projectiles that were fired by 12 gauge blanks that he would insert prior to the launch.

The mortar rounds were reusable.
Old August 30, 2014, 08:18 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Each explosive round is a destructive device, like grenades, or bazooka rockets. Each one is tracked, and taxed, but I believe the tax is not the same as the one on machine guns. Look on their website, or talk to the ATF for general information. (for specific information that you can count on, get it in writing, and have an experienced lawyer as backup.

Practice/dummy shells can be reused, if not too badly damaged from impact. Reloading them is a different story, and one I know nothing about, sorry.

Different mortar shell designs would play a major part in how/if they are reloadable.

I worked with the 81mm and the 4.2" (107mm) US mortars when I was in the service, and still recall a bit about the mechanisms of what was in service back then. On the civilian side, other than that there are legal ways to do it, I don't know much about owning one.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the "gun" (the tube & mechanism) isn't a restricted, taxed item like a machine gun is. Each round of ammo (if explosive), however is a registered taxed item.

Hope this helps...
Old August 30, 2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

the mortar is a Destructive Devise and requires a tax stamp. If you see one for sale that doesn't require a stamp, it has likely had a hole cut in the side rendering it inoperable.
Old August 30, 2014, 10:44 PM   #6
medic15al

Unless it is a black powder mortar...
Old September 11, 2014, 11:41 AM   #7
mboylan

Unless you have licenses for explosives and an ATF approved magazine for storage and for transportation, there is no way you are going to legally possess high explosives. Also, no company is going to sell you high explosives without a justified business reason.

The mortar itself is a DD and requires a tax stamp. High explosive rounds would require a tax stamp each and a thousand hoops do jump through. You will never legally obtain one. Dummy rounds are available. You have to be careful not to exceed any launching charge that would be come under the ATF definition of high explosive.