The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 25, 2012, 11:12 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
you should hear one go off in a small 175 sqaure foot building....
...A METAL ONE...

Done it in metal Sears type shed or slightly larger a few times with .410 and rimfires... Once with a 9mm.

Brent
Old May 25, 2012, 11:34 PM   #27
youngunz4life

is this the truth? you are charged by aggressive grizzly, have no gun,what do you do?

I could be wrong and would love to be corrected or hear more info from an expert or someone with experience due to incidents and/or where they were raised but:

from what I understand you can survive a bear attack by charging if charged and/or standing your ground raising your hands and going toe to toe with a bear. this is the oxymoron here....the chances of being able to have the guts, grit, and courage to do this with a growling mouth open bear is something that seems Near Impossible to me, but from what I understand you can survive if you do it??????? obviously running your dead especially if a startled bear starts charging and a little better but not what I like is huddling and playing dead? yes, if attacked it is definitely better to not resist and shut up...I give serious credit to someone who can not yelp in pain and take it til he/her stops, but is going toe to toe the truth?????? even if it was you can't flinch at all and you are a better man than me if you can do it(I'm talking face to face....not at a distance with a bear just looking at you
Old May 25, 2012, 11:44 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Now, I don't know about all that... I would have to test that a few times with some guards with big dern guns in case it didn't work...

Other wise, I am soilin' drawers while doin' whatever my and mind conger up in that instant...

Brent
Old May 26, 2012, 02:01 AM   #29
MarkDozier

"From what I understand you can survive a bear attack by charging if charged and/or standing your ground raising your hands."
You are partly right but your thought is incomplete. When a bear is meanacing it will raise up on it hind legs. IT is at that time you would be doing the same thing as the bear. Raise your arms and yell loudly at the bear to make yourself seem bigger then you are. Bears are not real confrontational and would rather run off then fight unless cubs are involved or they are really hungry and you are between them and their food.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:15 AM   #30
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
When a bear is meanacing it will raise up on it hind legs
They will also do this when they are curious.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:50 AM   #31
jgcoastie

Rule #9: If someone thinks they have the upper hand; break it.

Fight. Always fight. Whether its a bluff charge or a real one the bear, to a certain degree, believes they have the upper hand. In all actuality, they do. So break their will to fight. It's not terribly difficult if the bear is not intent on eating you... A little yelling and posturing will normally send the curious/bluffing bear on its way.

If the bear is intent on eating you, well... You don't have many options. Fight or flight, and you can't outrun it. So fight.

The key to any encounter with any creature intent on doing you harm is to break their will to fight. Sometimes you do that by killing it, other times you put up enough of a fight that they move on to an easier target. In either case, you will likely not come out the other side of the encounter unscathed.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:35 AM   #32
Scorch

Quote:
You think that .357 was loud, you should hear one go off in a small 175 sqaure foot building....
You should hear a 7mm go off inside a pickup cab! Do you have any idea how bright it gets for just an instant?
Old May 28, 2012, 02:31 AM   #33
stevelyn

Quote:
who was maybe 2 or 3 years old and maybe 200 lbs max
The young ones are nearly always the troublemakers as they have only been recently booted from the sow and aren't quite up to functioning on their own like the older bears do. As a result they sometimes take the easy way and head toward populated areas.

Quote:
When a bear is meanacing it will raise up on it hind legs
Most often they do this because are trying to see better. If they drop down on all fours and drop their head a charge is imminent. Stand your ground.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.