The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 21, 2012, 04:16 AM   #26
lt dan

Shot a wart-hog a few years ago, frontal shot. when it turned around I could see the exit wound next to his tail. we started tracking it. this went on for 2 hours. Finlay found the borough he entered. went in after it with a couple of trackers an a spotlight. the 2 tracker was in front of me. when the hog charged, somehow the tracker came past me and left exited the opening before me. I took the brunt of the charge and was lucky it was my only injury. I thought the arm was broken but when i visited the local veterinarian he put his sonar equipment to work and concluded it was only a hairline crack

Old April 21, 2012, 11:50 PM   #27
HALL,AUSTIN

I went hunting with an "its ok, its on safety" kid. He had a 12gauge racked, on safety, finger on the trigger, AND aimed at my head... I politely asked that the gun be pointed in a safe direction, but it ended up pointed at me again, at which point I said that you dont get 2nd chances with 00Buck and decided to call it a day. Never hunted with the kid again.

Took my fiance's 10 year old brother shooting and he sent a .22 about 4 feet over my head. We had a talk and he went back to shooting pellet guns for a few weeks.
Old April 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #28
1tfl

I just heard about a guy who shot his girlfriend... mistaking her for a hog
She must have been really ugly and hairy
Old April 23, 2012, 07:09 PM   #29
Rembrandt

Several close calls.....once crossing a beaver dam in 20 degree weather, dam broke under my weight and went under the icy water with only my head above water. Why I never went into hypothermia is a miracle.

Other incident involved an ATV tip over while hunting that took part of my pinky finger.....now they just call me ol' 9 1/2 fingers.

Old April 23, 2012, 09:51 PM   #30
Mobuck

It would have been more scary if I hadn't been so mad.
Along about 1981-2, I invited a friend to my place to hunt deer. I had him a nice stand that he'd used in bow season and was hunting it again during the rifle season. It had been a wet fall and I still had several acres of soybeans unharvested so we were stand hunting those.
About 1/2 hour after first light a vehicle pulled into my field and drove right through the standing crop to stop right in front of my friend's stand. Guy gets out and goes hiking across the field never noticing the big orange blob 100' away. I got down from my stand, walked the 1/2 mile to see what's going on, and my friend related the situation. I was pretty PO'ed due to the damage to the field so I popped the hood and pulled the rotor from the vehicle. Then I sent my friend to another stand over the hill.
A couple of hours later, the guy returns to his vehicle, walks around it, and then follows my tracks back to my stand. He's hopping mad cause I "trashed his new pickup" and making some serious threats. My rifle was standing next to the side of my stand and my hands were crossed in my lap so the guy thinks he's got me cornered. I tossed the rotor to him and told him to get out of my field ASAP.
He was getting more stirred up and finally he popped. He'd been holding his Marlin 30-30 in his left hand and then he swung it across and grabbed it with his right hand in the lever ready to use it. My stand was maybe 8' high so I was a little above him and I just uncrossed my hands from my lap and let him see the muzzle of the 357 mag I'd been holding there all the time.
We had a slow motion moment and then he got real red faced and took off in a trot. I slid over enough to get a 3' thick cottonwood trunk between us and watched him until he was past my gate.
That boy nearly lost his life over a foolish trespass stunt and then failing to take his butt chewing like a man.
Old April 24, 2012, 01:48 AM   #31
sc928porsche

I was 16 at the time and living in the Lompoc area......actually Casmalia, and left the house for a morning deer hunt. After a long climb up to a mesa, I stopped under a small oak tree to catch my breath. I had a decent view across a narrow canyon and was looking around for any antlers sticking out of the brush below and across from me. I saw the dirt rise up from the ground about 6 feet to my left and heard a loud report from across the canyon. I grabbed my rifle from my lap and fired it into a tree below me and yelled across the canyon. I never did hear a reply or see anyone move but it sure ended my days hunting. Back then, they didnt have blaze orange, but I was wearing bright red. That kind of thing can happen when you run across "LA" hunters.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:13 PM   #32
Hansam

I had a dangerous mishap once many moons ago when I still hunted from tree stands. In fact that was the last time I ever hunted from a tree stand.

See I have a problem of not being able to stay awake in a stand. Something about the quiet with the swaying of the tree in the wind puts me to sleep like a baby in a moving vehicle.

That morning I had a cold and instead of staying at camp I drank a double dose of NyQuil (I know stupid) and headed off to hunt. I climbed to my stand which was only 8 ft off the ground and sat down to await the deer. Well I had forgotten to attach my safety harness to my anchor line and as such I fell asleep some time after 0730. My father found me on the ground out cold, my rifle still hanging on a branch next to my stand, around 0830 when he couldn't raise me on the radio (checking up on me). Yep I was so soundly asleep I never awoke when I fell. A trip to the doctor revealed a couple of broken ribs and some bruises from having fallen on twigs and roots but I wasn't seriously hurt.

So now its no more meds and no more tree stands for me when I hunt. I am either well enough to hunt or I'm not but I don't take cold meds anymore and I won't go up in a tree stand anymore.
Old April 28, 2012, 02:13 AM   #33
Nate Shult

I guess the only real close call I had was 2 years ago or so. I was walking a crick on a Wildlife Management Area where I routinely jumped wood ducks at mid day. This day it was a little later in the afternoon. I came up on a group of 6 that were tucked under the near side bank that didn't flush until I was 10-15 yards away from them. The first shot hit a nice drake and 4 birds flew across the creek to the left. 1 bird took the near side and flew to my right. The limit in Minnesota was 2 wood ducks back then so I didn't want to risk shooting 2 with 1 shot. I swung right and just as the barrel was clearing through the bird I heard a shout of "don't shoot!" I lowered my gun very startled cause I was alone and there weren't any cars in the lot. Then I saw a guy in a treestand bow hunting deer. It turned out he lived next door to the WMA and routinely bowhunted out of a stand he had hung out there 20 some feet up. I never saw him coming up and even when he started talking. Nothing real bad happened but it always scared me as to what could have happened in the blink of an eye. He told me he had seen me coming and knew there were ducks there so he didn't want to ruin my shoot, but I wish he would have said something before I started shooting.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:42 AM   #34
Rifleman1776

Not a mishap but high potential for one. I was deer hunting on a friend's private land, with permission. I had been setting on my stand for about an hour when I heard voices behind me. I looked and there was a man and a woman about 100 yards away. It was open woods and I could see and hear them clearly. I stood up and started shouting and waving my blaze orange cap ( I was also wearing a blaze orange vest) to let them know I was here. No response. After a couple minutes of this I started walking towards them still shouting and waving the cap. They never noticed. I could see they were looking over my ATV where I parked it. I kept walking and got within five feet of the woman before she noticed me at all. I almost had to poke the man before he became aware someone else was near him. As politely but as forcefully as I could I told them they had no business being in the woods with loaded guns. The woman still had a confused stare on her face and it was obvious she didn't have a clue what was going on. The man finally agreed with me and they moved on. Very scary to think people like that are in the woods with guns. I learned later they left the woods and quit hunting, at least, for that day.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:37 PM   #35
langenc

Many yrs ago when tree stands wrer just coming in I built one ion a tree, not a store bought one.

Some mornings later I climbed the ladder, threw my rt hand up onto the seat, released my lt hand and the right one slid off on th e frost.

Down I went onto my back. Was about 15'. Luckily there were no projections there. I was unhurt.

I had cut a small pine 1" diameter about 6' farther away, 1 foot high stump. Had I landed on that it would have all been different.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:16 PM   #36
PA Hunter37

Never had one personally but a few years ago my Dad witnessed something scary. We were all set up at first light. Around 7 AM this old gentleman that knows my Dad came wondering over to chat him up. After about 15 the gentleman walks over to his tree stand and starts to climb up. About half way up the board pulled out of the tree. Yes it was an old stand with nailed on 2X4's as a ladder. I figure this guy was late 60's or early 70's (no offense to you older guys). Of course I didn't know all this at first, I just heard the ambulence come in and later the life flight as they got gim out of the woods and to the local hospital. Cracked three ribs and broke his back.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:33 PM   #37
Major Dave (retired)

A guy I used to hunt with...

almost blew my head off with a 12 gauge.

We were driving down a 2 track in his truck, both guns unloaded and placed in the camper topper, when he decided to stop and try to shoot a dove that landed about 30 yards ahead, in the 2 track.

Well, I was taught that you shoot only flying doves, not those that land nearby. Not sporting, I was taught.

So, I stayed put in the passenger seat, while he slips out from behind the steering wheel, and goes to the rear of the truck to get his gun.

He got his gun, loaded it, and tried sneaking up to the open drivers door to take a shot.

Bird spooks, flies away, no shots fired.

He goes back to the tailgate, opens the camper rear window, and...BOOOOM!!!

Blows about a 2 inch diameter hole thru the back window, and about a 6 inch hole thru the windshield.

At first I thought the shot came from an unseen person in front of the truck, until I turned my head to look toward the back of the truck and saw the hole in the rear window -ABOUT 24 INCHES FROM MY HEAD!!

I STILL don't know how he managed to shoot a gun he was putting away.

We don't hunt together anymore.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:54 PM   #38
egor20

We shut down the farm on 2 days, Christmas and first day of deer season. Not so much that I like hunting, (I do) but because every cityboy hunter thinks a horse looks like a deer. No horses are allowed out of the paddock area and me and the hands take turns driving around the property making sure the illiterates don't miss the 3'X3' bright orange/black signs every 100 yards that say

NO Hunting
NO Trapping
NO Trespassing

My wife also has her truck and trailer set up for trauma work in case any horses gets shot in the area, usually it happens.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 8, 2012, 01:38 PM   #39
Husqvarna

I tipped a stand down with my dad in it, he had just climbed up, rifle on his back I had asked him before if it would hold us both, I was over 200pounds at 15yo, I get one step up the ladder and one leg of the stand breaks, it falls really slowly so I have time to jump aside. My father not so much.

Landed on his rifle and broke the stock and squased the radio (and no cell coverage). he was quite woozy and I had to support him all the way back to the car, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree so he is a big fella to

Another time we were at our hunting range, it is located behind/below a target shooting range that has got a sizeable bulletstop. I dunno what those target guys were doing but all of a sudden we started hearing bullets drop around our littel shoot-cabin How they managed to shoot over that wall is beyond me
Old May 8, 2012, 01:40 PM   #40
Husqvarna

are you serious Egor? I've heard similar stories over here aswell but just assumed it were jokes. are people that stupid or do they do it on purpose?
Old May 9, 2012, 05:50 PM   #41
egor20

Husqvarna

Quote:
are you serious Egor? I've heard similar stories over here aswell but just assumed it were jokes. are people that stupid or do they do it on purpose?
Yes, its not a joke.

I don't think they're malicious, just plain dumb. My wife's a veterinarian that specializes on horses. Almost every opening day, she has a patient. The year from Nov.2010 - Nov.2011, she had 9 horses and and 13 other livestock shot she had to tender to. those are just her patients, she's not the only Vet in the area (don't have the other vet records).

I'd say something about dumb hunters, but the Mods would ban me

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 11, 2012, 05:26 PM   #42
Wyoredman

The day that big bear tried to take my elk was the scarriest time I've ever had hunting!
Old May 11, 2012, 10:28 PM   #43
kraigwy

Quote:
I don't think they're malicious, just plain dumb. My wife's a veterinarian that specializes on horses. Almost every opening day, she has a patient. The year from Nov.2010 - Nov.2011, she had 9 horses and and 13 other livestock shot she had to tender to. those are just her patients, she's not the only Vet in the area (don't have the other vet records).

OK lady OK, its your elk, just let me get my saddle and bridle off it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 11, 2012, 10:31 PM   #44
603Country

My serious note was back a ways in this thread, but I did have one other scare years ago. I was working in New Orleans back then and I was big into bass fishing in my Pirogue. I had bought it cheap, and it was small and there wasn't much boat sticking out of the water when I was in it with all my gear. I wanted a bigger boat, so I put out the word that I'd sell the pirogue. A guy I knew, a real big guy that was maybe 6 foot 5 and 260 pounds, offered me money for the boat. I sold him the boat. It was a really cold (for south Louisiana) duck season by then and this guy had a new shotgun and was pumped to go hunting. I heard shortly after that that the boat I had sold him had sunk with him and the brand new shotgun, and in deep cold salt water. I also heard that he was looking for me. He wanted a refund, but he had shot about 5 holes in the boat after he dragged it to land. After I avoided him for a week, he calmed down. Whew! He was a whopper of a guy. I laughed about all that for years, but never around him.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:35 PM   #45
603Country

And Kraig's note reminds me that back in the 60's, when I was working at wiping windows and filling gas tanks at Dad's Exxon station (Esso, back then), a couple of guys from south Louisiana came in to the station for gas during deer season and they had a goat tied across the back of the car. I was just a kid and told Dad about the goat and he just said "fill em up and don't say a word about the goat".
Old May 11, 2012, 10:44 PM   #46
egor20

kraigwy

Quote:
Quote:
OK lady OK, its your elk, just let me get my saddle and bridle off it.
You just made me choke on a bourbon Kraig.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 14, 2012, 09:50 PM   #47
OkieGentleman

Its a COW!!

Did you ever hear the old joke about the farmer was painting COW on the side of his bull when a neighbor pulled up in his pickup. The neighbor stood there scratching his head till he said "Jed why are you painting COW on the side of your bull?"

Wait for it!!

Jed replied "I don't want to confuse any of those city fellas that are out here hunting for their first time."

I did hear a true story about a couple shooting an white Angora goat and putting it in the trunk of their car. When they proudly showed it the the farmer, who had foolishly given them permission to hunt on his property, he call the local sheriff, game ranger and his lawyer (the goat was worth quite a lot of money).