The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 29, 2001, 04:07 PM   #1
PropellerHead

I'm getting ready for my first 3-gun match in May. I feel that I'm competent in handling/shooting all three of my weapons, but I have no real experience/practice in transitioning between them.

I know that every match is different, but can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Should I expect to have to carry all three weapons at one time during the shoot? What kind (and length) sling should I use for the rifle and shotgun? What kind of shotgun ammo should I be prepared to use?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old March 29, 2001, 05:08 PM   #2
RickB

I'm in the same boat. I shot a rifle stage at an IPSC match last Summer, and decided 3-gun would be fun. The Match Director should tell you the ammo requirements in advance, so you know if you need shot, slugs, etc., and how many. Don't know if the upcoming match is typical, but 100 rifle, two boxes shot (50?) and one box slugs was recommended. How are you toting/loading your shotshells; cuff, sidesaddle, belt?
Old March 29, 2001, 07:05 PM   #3
Mikey

I would also be interested in finding out how an "official" 3-gun match is done.

A local club had a tactical 4-gun match a while back (AR's at 50-300yards, pistols at 10-50yards, shotgun (slugs) at 25-100 yards and precision bolt guns at 300-600 yards. Each type of firearm was handled separately so it ran like 4 mini-matches. We never had to transition from one to another during a course of fire.

It was a blast (no pun intended) and I would like to do more of these. Adds a little variety to my usual IDPA diet.

Mikey