The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 24, 2004, 08:24 AM   #1
GeorgeF

Full auto rifle caliber ranges in SE PA ?

Looking to fire my Bren and the one range I used to go to is now converted to some boring skeet range (Twin S if anyone remembers). I heard there was some place indoors in Bensalem that let you shoot rifle but I'm loking or an outdoor range.

There's an indoor subgun place near me (French Creek Outfitters) but I havent tried them out yet.

What I would really like to find is a place that has steel plates. Punching paper gets realy old - used to shoot an improvised steel plate (12" square piece of tractor blade at the afore-mentioned TwinS) and that gave a really gratifying "PANG" when you hit.

Any help????

Thanks!
Old August 24, 2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Jamie Young

www.classicpistol.com

www.targetmaster.com

are the only places I know of that allow Full Auto. I don't know one single outdoor F/A range.
Old September 8, 2004, 11:02 AM   #3
MLC

Classic pistol allows any rifle under 30'06 but 25 yards indoor with the Bren sounds somewhat limiting.
I've shot an L1A1, AR and AK74 at classic pistol.
I may be wrong but I think that Targetmaster is pistol caliber only range.
When I was there several years ago their rentals were MP5's and 9mm M-16's.
I'd look into some of the ranges in the Poconos.
There's one range that was right off 80, the same exit as several ski resorts.
They had steel gongs out to 200 and didn't seem to mind rapid fire.
Sunset Hill Shooting Range, 1 Route 314 West, Henrysville, PA 18332.
email
map
Old September 8, 2004, 09:25 PM   #4
rocko

'fraid your out of luck for an outdoor range, for the most part. Maybe I just pay attention it more cause I live here, but the "where to shoot f/a in SE PA" seems to come up on all the MG discussion boards far more than any other "where to shoot" threads for other areas. Its a strange situation, since it seems like there are TONS of nfa shooters in the area, based on the responses. What seems to have happened was that as ranges closed off or disallowed MG's, the remaining ones who may have tolerated it got flooded with those un-homed shooters. And of course a bunch of new MG-owning members probably upset the "sportsmen", which accelerated the process.

There is one remaining place somewhere in Delaware County (I think), but it is something silly like only every wednesday from noon-3pm, and I think it may only be subguns. I think Sunset Hill allows f/a, but only 3rd burst - so... if you've got a fast gun w/ no burst, you're prolly bound to accidentally upset them at some point. I hear rumors of one other place, purportedly out near Reading, but if it exists, it seems like those in the know aren't telling, to avoid getting it shut down as well.

Unfortunately, looks like the only option is being lucky enough to have enough private land in the area, or know someone who does. When I want to shoot my subgun outdoors (I agree that paperpunching with an MG indoors is pretty boring), I gotta drive ~2hrs to relative's property at Harvey's Lake in NE PA.

Rocko
Old September 10, 2004, 12:26 PM   #5
GeorgeF

Thansk for the scoop! I think I may just start calling ranges in Poconos and see if anyone knows who allows full auto. If I find out anything I'll post th einfo here.

Thanks again all!