The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 30, 2006, 05:43 PM   #1
skyhawk72

Consecutively numbered SKS's

My dad and I went to Bill Goodman's gun and knife show today and stumbled across to consecutively numbered yugo sks's. We paid 400 for the pair both and in excellent condition and look like they have never been fired. I want to know if finding two numbered like that is rare or not. If anyone wants numbers or pics let me know.
Old December 30, 2006, 05:56 PM   #2
bennnn

Post some pics in the "put 'em up" SKS pic thread.

That's a great find. Some may say you payed too much, but it sounds like you're talking about unissued ones. Two brand new Yugos with consecutive matching #'s for $400...

I'd say you got a heck of a good deal.
Old December 30, 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Hedley

I've seen a few crates at gun shows, and usually the ten rifles are in the same number range, but I haven't seen a whole lot of consecutives.
Old December 30, 2006, 07:31 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

So,

Other than the "these two are consecutive" what did you acutally buy?
O suppose it is a neat thing, but what practical value is there?

If it makes you happy, then it is worth what you paid, to you. Other people have different points of view. Now if it was a pair of old guns, out of production, etc. the rarity of finding two consecutive individuals might be worth something more to a collector.
Old December 30, 2006, 07:53 PM   #5
45reloader

Good deal

AIM and SOG as well as other gun brokers have advertised the same guns.

Many cowboy shooter pay extra for six guns with consecutive numbers.

Now "practical value" has 2 forms.
1. Buy guns to resell so consecutive means extra cash.
2. You buy something because it has personal sentimental value you can share.

Again they are some what rare and ENJOY!
Old December 30, 2006, 10:52 PM   #6
skyhawk72

I guess the way that I am looking at it is that I thought it may be a rarity. I thought that it was pretty cool that my dad and I have guns that are numbered consecutively, not that I am going to resell them I just wanted to know what the odds are of finding something like that. I bought the gun because it is something that i want to add to the collection, and all the guns there are shooters, no shelf queens
Old December 30, 2006, 11:33 PM   #7
skyhawk72

here is some pics of my rifle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sks rifle.jpg (189.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg sks #.jpg (29.9 KB, 66 views)
Old December 31, 2006, 04:01 PM   #8
TPAW

Don't concern yourself with what people say. If it's what you and your dad wanted because to the both of you it was a find, then enjoy! Personally I would have bought them as well. Life is short, enjoy it! Happy shooting..
Old December 31, 2006, 05:11 PM   #9
skyhawk72

Thats my way of looking at it, I think its cool for a father and son to have a find like that. Me and my dad are really close so to me it was something special, not everyone can say that they found something like that. I guess I just want to know how rare is it really to find something like that.
Old January 1, 2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

SKS #'s

Skyhawk 72--Have to agree with the posters above who say, if it makes you happy, do it.

There were so many Yugo SKS's made, and they were shipped around so much, that it has to be quite a coincidence to find 2 that were made right in line with each other--and happened to stay together all these years.

Now if it were Ho Chi Minh's personal pair of consecutive SKS's, that'd be something else, but I doubt that ordinary Yugo SKS's will have much collector value any time soon, even in pristine condition. Were I you, I wouldn't care. I'd just go enjoy shooting something a little special with my Dad!

Let your grandchildren worry about the collectibility.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; January 1, 2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old January 1, 2007, 06:59 PM   #11
skyhawk72

lol couldnt said it better myself, I dont care so much about the #'s just thought it was pretty cool and something a little more special for me and my dad
Old January 1, 2007, 07:12 PM   #12
absolute0

About a year ago I bought 2 unissued grade SKS' from southern ohio gun which were consecutively serialed. I thought it was kinda cool but I figured SOG probably just grabbed the "next 2" out of the crate which probably hadn't been touched since it left the arsenal, so I bet it's more common than you might think.
Old January 1, 2007, 07:13 PM   #13
skyhawk72

Yeah it definately could be just interesting to see how many others are like that out there
Old January 1, 2007, 09:08 PM   #14
Haterade

I think it's pretty common amongst unissued SKS's.

Issued SKS's... highly unlikely. Heck, my SKS is beautiful but the stock is actually consectutive to the bolt and the rest of the numbered parts. I guess they just combined the best parts of the two closest to each other on the rack. 400$ for two unissued SKS's isn't bad. Maybe a few bucks high, but it's a neat thing to have.
Old January 1, 2007, 09:16 PM   #15
skyhawk72

I actually just found on centerfiresystems.com that you can buy sks's consecutively numbered for 199.97 a piece, so maybe I didnt do so bad. I know that just having them numbered like that I will pay more, just thought maybe it was more of an oddity than what Im finding out.