The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Alakar

Powder Measure and Powder Type

I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and cannot get consistant accurate throws with the Hogdon's TiteGroup powder that I am using. TiteGroup is small flake powder and I have read in other posts that the LPPM is best with small to medium extruded powder.

So to my question, what powder measure's would you recommend for different sizes and shapes of powder?
Old September 19, 2006, 04:01 PM   #2
donkee

I use a LEE Pro Auto Disc with powder thru expander dies for loading pistol ammo. I use Unique in the ADPM and it meters nicely. The PPM works good for me loading rifle cartridges using 4064 and Varget.
Old September 19, 2006, 05:00 PM   #3
azredhawk44

Alakar:

Please be careful with this powder measure, and realize you take your safety in your hands with it.

I used to own a Lee perfect measure. It does meter extruded powder pretty well... until you run other types of powder through it such as Unique, Titegroup, Win296 or H110.

These types of powder will act as abrasives in the innards of the measure. They will erode the integrity of the rubber wiper inside the measure's dispensing cavity. They will make your measure less accurate. And when returning back to an extruded powder, the damage will still be present.

I was loading my 30-30 cartridges with Reloder 15 after several hundred rounds of 45acp-Titegroup and 44mag-H110 loadings. After cleaning all remaining powder from the measure each time, I geared up for 30-30. I verified my charge was where I wanted it, began charging. I checked my charge every 10 cases. I found my charges beginning to increase without explanation. I re-calibrated, verified everything was tightened up as well as possible. Checked every charge. I got numbers that varied widely... 28.5, 29.2, 30.4, 27.6, 31.0... they were all over the place.

I disassembled the measure and found the washer was shredded and eroded, with pieces of H110 all over inside the cuts of the washer. Cuts were too big for H110 to cause, so I think it was the flake powder that did it... the fine powder just sandblasted what was left.

I probably got 1000 loads out of that measure. I threw it away and got an all-metal measure.
Old September 19, 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Buckythebrewer

Azredhawk44 that is very intresting info.I am glad you mentioned it and I will keep an Eye on it if I change powder(I only use medium extruded h4895 for my ar15).The charge variations in most cases will happen when changing powders and thats why you should fill the measure and dump charges a bunch of times at least,refill then try your consistency.My measure is spot on every time I use it probably because I always use the same powder..What you say makes sense because I have seen the small h110 and h335 fall out the sides of the measure and if its getting by it must be doing damage when excessive pressure is against it(when charging).This is probably why I have had such good experience with the LEE measure because I have mostly only used small/medium extruded powder and didn't load enough of the small ball/flake powders to do damage.Sounds like a good theory to me,,Thanks for the info.
Old September 20, 2006, 12:06 AM   #5
Alakar

Thanks for the info azredhawk44. I Just disassembled my LPPM and found powder embedded in the wipe. I was having the same problem with loads widely varying, and I've loaded less then 100 rounds with it. Looks like it's time to try a better powder measure. Any suggestions on something that will work with all types of powder. I'm only reloading 9mm right now, but plan on doing .45 ACP and .35 Remington in the future.
Old September 20, 2006, 06:33 PM   #6
Buckythebrewer

my cousen likes his lee autodisk.ive never used one but it basicly mimics a dipper with better consistency.just a thought,I have very little experience with anything other than the perfect powder measure .can't afford anything else ,Ive spent to much on my rifle+scope . OH! one other thing,Have you cleaned the imbedded powder out and re-adjusted the measure???,,It might work fine after you clean it out and adjust the tension again( I think lee recommends cleaning it with a mild detergent and rinsing with warm water).Its worth a try.I am very glad to this day I did not give up on the measure ,Its serves me very well now.
Old September 20, 2006, 06:40 PM   #7
amamnn

Once upon a time............

A long time ago in a land far far away, I was instructed by the great gunpowder guru to always treat my powder measures with a tiny bit of fine ground mica before using them for the first time and every 6 or 7 uses thereafter. Working the mica through the measure will eliminate the exact problems discussed above. I've used it on my RCBS, Lee, and PACT powder measures and dispensers and it works every time.
Old September 20, 2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Buckythebrewer

Thanks for that tip,,I have heard that before and have been meaning to pick some up.I think I have gotten away with not using it from using ONLY one powder type.