The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Chopperpilotrob

Dillon RL450 (is it wore out)?

Hey guys, I am new to reloading and have been given a few machines by my grandfather to get me going. Right now I am reloading for 40 S&W and hope to be setup soon to push some 30-30 together.

The problem that I am having is with my RL450. When I raise the ram all the way to the seating position, the shell plate has a small amount of rotational flex to it. I have traced it back down to the fact that there is some flex in the linking between the actuation arm and the bottom of the ram. So when I pull it all the way down, the ram flexes toward the side that the actuation arm is on.

Is this normal or okay?

I know I can send the unit back to dillon for an update, but I am a broke student finishing up flight school, so this is on a pretty tight budget.

If needed, I can make a video of whats going on and post it up. Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Rob
Old April 29, 2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Vance

I don't think that is the way its supposed to work. Dillon presses (except the 1050) have lifetime warranties that go with the press and not the purchaser. So, you may be able to get it fixed (updated) for free Call up Dillon and see what they say.
Old April 29, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

Just give Dillon a call and tell them what is happening. They will be the best ones to answer your question. If they feel you need an update they will send it to you. It doesn't matter who bought the press to get this service.
Old April 29, 2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Chopperpilotrob

Great advice, thank you so much. I will give them a call tomorrow.
Old April 30, 2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Gerry

Dillon often even covers things that are no longer covered. Electronics are supposedly covered by only a one year replacement warranty, but the buzzer on my powder check I bought used stopped working and I called the 1-800 number anyway to see if they'd have any suggestions on how to get it working. The guy didn't bother asking idiotic questions like if I checked the battery, he just said he'd have a brand new buzzer part for me in the mail within the hour in time for the mail pickup.

I wish my cellphone or cable company had service like that.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:32 AM   #6
243winxb

Dillon RL 450

Quote:
Is this normal or okay?
No, just sloppy early production. IMO. The linkage is worn or was that way when new. The test is to hold the lever parallel to the floor and move side to side. If ram/shell plate rotate, it may be a problem. Dillon told me they would rebuild my RL450 for a price. But this press always had a problem as a new press. It always had a problem aligning a 45 acp case with the FL die.There is also an alignment tool that will set the position of the shell plate platform to help fix this. Dillon would not send me a free one, as my press is old. http://photobucket.com/rl450schematic If loading a bottle neck cartridge, always set up the FL die using a Wilson type case gage. The old shell plates can push the shoulder back as much as .014" if the FL die is set to contact the shell plate. This will cause case head seperations. Each station of the shell plate is different on my old plate. I have contacted Dillon 2 times. They have done nothing to fix the press or shell plates.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:43 AM   #7
243winxb

Dillon Alignment Tool

The Dillon Alignment Tool is in the form of a pin. You place the powder die in station one and drop the pin in. With the shell plate off and the shell platform bolts loose. You take the ram up and down until if will slip in and out of the shell platform plate hole without moving the pin. Then you snug the bolts up and make sure you still have proper alignment. If you do then tighten them screws up and reinstall your shell plate and move your powder die back. You will, of course have to reset your decap/resize die. I do that by keeping a resized case on hand and putting it in station one, running the ram to the top and then screw the die down until it just touches the shell plate. By adjusting it with the case in the die and plate, you have proper alignment of the die when snugging it down.
Old April 3, 2013, 02:41 PM   #8
243winxb

This is the correct tool. Very OLD thread.