The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Beretta686

Worth the effort?

I'm finally living somewhere that I can logistically do handloading, without turning my bachelor pad into an overflowing man-cave. But I'm wondering if it's worth the initial investment and time.

For centerfires, I mostly shoot 9mm, 5.56, .308 and .45ACP. All of which are readily available in Wolf and other cheapo loadings I have no trouble running through my guns. I'm mostly plinking and often shooting full-auto with the 9mm and 5.56, so accuracy isn't the most important thing to me.

My main goal is just to shoot cheaper than I am now, rather than building custom loads or anything. I shoot at least every 2 weeks, so I do quite a bit of volume in my ammo.

So my questions are:
a) So given this info, do you believe it is worthwhile handloading such common cartridges?

b) Also about how much should I budget to get into handloading?

c) If I do get into handloading, would I need additional things to load 10mm and 5.7x28mm on top of the cartridges named above?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 28, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
BigJimP

Yes, its still worth it to reload..../ in 9mm as an example, you can reload a box of 50 with a premium true jacketed bullet ( Montana Gold ) for under $ 8 a box....and retail in my area is about $ 18 now..../ and you'll get a much better quality round ( decrease your groups 25% at least ) just because you can hold tolerances that a factory can't do on large production runs.

Cost....you can probably get what you need for $ 500.../ or you can easily get $3,000 or more in it - if you want one of the better progressive presses ( Dillon 650 or Hornaday LNL with a case feeder, powder check die, etc).

read the sticky on the forum...it'll tell you what you need.../ but you need bullets, primers, powder, cases ...and dies for each caliber...and a press, powder measure, scale, ......bullet puller, case gagues ......
Old September 28, 2013, 06:49 PM   #3
jonathon1289

I put about $1k into my reloading setup. It paid for itself in 8 months vs buying factory ammo at pre-panic prices. I load 40cal, 9mm, and 30-06 for me and some 223 with my neighbor. Better quality ammo, and I average about 1/3 of the cost per round of factory ammo.

If you are buying/shooting steel case ammo your cost to begin reloading will be higher as you will have to buy brass. Or pick it up at a range if you visit one where people leave theirs on the ground.