The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2011, 02:41 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Remington versus Mossberg is Ford versus Chevy - get the one you like the best
Actually this is not true... Ford and Chevy have similar locations for the Gas and brake peddle, shifters and turn signal levers and steering wheel as well as mirror locations...

The foundational differences with the 870 Rem and 500 Moss are important considerations.

I personally prefer the tang safety location enough that I cannot even consider any shotgun for HD/SD that does not have it there.

there are a few other differences but they are not as glaring.

Brent
Old May 27, 2011, 03:35 PM   #27
loose_holster_dan

i own and love the 870. can't beat it for the price. i have the express model with the extended tube and shorter barrel. it was great for trap and hd due to the short barrel and extra capacity. i have since purchased an o/u for trap and converted the 870 to pistol grip.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 29, 2011, 02:55 PM   #28
RedlegDaddy

I have the 870 all setup for HD but good god do I want a Benelli M4!
Old May 29, 2011, 04:43 PM   #29
Gehrhard

Wear out an aluminum-receivered Mossberg? Oh boy -- people finally STOPPED saying that back in the 80's.

Take a look at the Mossberg 500 security package. Five up-to 3" (American) shell holding capacity action with both a double-bead ribbed and ported 28" screw-in-choke barrel and an 18-1/2" Open Cylinder Home Defense barrel. Then take the money you save over the Remington and buy a case of shells.

Gehr
Old May 29, 2011, 10:16 PM   #30
Nowiser

I will toss in a vote for the Benelli SuperNova, I walked out the door with mine for $476 in October at my LGS. It shoots soft, my fiance is small and hates shotguns because of the "kick" yet she loves shooting the SuperNova. I agree with you, it looks great. Easy to clean, fun to shoot, and zero problems as of now. So I would seriously consider the SuperNova. I have about 600 shells through mine of all cheapo shells. Not to reloading yet, hopefully in the near future so I can be done with the wal-mart specials...

Enjoy whatever you choose, my brother has the 870 express and like people say, it is a workhorse.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:40 AM   #31
pabuckslayer08

The 930 semi with the 18.5" barrel and 28" barrel is your gun
Old May 30, 2011, 01:58 PM   #32
hsr2d2

Saturday I went shopping, started at Academy where they had some decent selection, no spectacular deals, though. Prices a little less than Gander Mt.

My next stop was a LGS (central AR), good selection, excellent customer service, better prices than Gander and Academy.

While I thought I would end up with a SuperNova or a BPS, I still kept an open mind. The sales guy showed me several models, including some good deals they had in the used section.

I eventually picked the one that felt more comfortable on my shoulder than the others, plus it really pointed right where it needed to. No, it was not the SuperNova nor the BPS. I picked he Remington 870 Express Super Mag.

While I read from many people online that the finish was not good, I could not see any difference to others, not even compared to the SN. The fit and finish looked very good, it seems like a well built shotgun.

The sales guy made the deal even better by throwing in a gun case for free. He also told me that they do service all the products they sell.

Next weekend we will visit the in-laws where I will be able to shot my new shotgun!!!!

Anyway, I am excited that I finally got me a shotgun, even better, it is an American made product. Plus, the place I made the purchase at, awesome customer service at lower prices than the competition!

Also, thanks for all the help everyone provided.

Hans
Old May 30, 2011, 02:13 PM   #33
Nowiser

Enjoy your new addition!

Put plenty of shells through it and be safe, have fun!
Old May 30, 2011, 05:24 PM   #34
Clifford L. Hughes

hsr2d2:

Most skeet ranges restrict barrel lengths shorter then twenty-six inches because shorter barrels allow to much blow back on the shooters. If I was you I would buy a Remington 870 combination. Order the gun with a twenty-six inch barrel with the second barrel eighteen or twenty inches. The twenty-six inch barrel will come with one modified choke. You can order a skeet choke. With the combo you have three guns in one, a skeet gun, a hunting gun and a home defence gun.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; May 30, 2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: left out words
Old May 30, 2011, 05:55 PM   #35
Gehrhard

Enjoy!

Funny thought that they handed you that Remington and explained they service what they sell -- lol.

Gehr
Old May 30, 2011, 06:38 PM   #36
hsr2d2

Gunnery Sergeant Hughes, first of all, BIG Thank You for your service and Happy Memorial Day!

Mine has a 26 inch barrel, however, my shooting range is my In-Law's backyard, and other than your regular gun-safety, no restrictions.

Gehr, the LGS actually told me about them servicing all their products before I made a decision and before he handed me a Remington. That what pretty much separates them from other stores in the area.

Anyway, gave it a good and thorough cleaning today, ready to shoot Saturday!

Hans
Old May 30, 2011, 07:03 PM   #37
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Hans, real world complaints about the 870 are far less frequent than those on the Net.
Dave,

For the record... You have one member (me) that actually bought a brand new Wingmaster and it was so screwed up that Remington finally gave up on trying to fix it and they sent me a new one... It only took four years of back and forth with them... But for whatever reason my luck has been horrible with Remington products in the last five years or so.... I even managed to buy a 700 that didn't always go off when you wanted it too and wouldn't hit anything... My 20 gauge Wingmaster works like a swiss watch and so do my other 700s... Go figure...

So either Remington is really having some quality control issues or my luck is just that bad...
Old May 31, 2011, 04:51 PM   #38
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

300.it's not just you. I know of a new, unfired WM that had a badly installed ejector. Remington replaced it. Took a while though....

And a while back, it took a boxful of Remchokes to come up with a set that shot to the same POA.

Remington has taken some well deserved flak, but there's little truth in some comments about QC....