The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 17, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
P5 Guy

Portuguese 1904/39

What can the experts of The Firing Line tell me about a Berlin made Mauser rifle marked; ESPINGARDA PORTUGUEZE 6.5 MOD 1904 DEUTSCHE WAFFEN UND MUNITIONFABRICEN BERLIN. The 6.5 has a strike thru it. H64xx is the serial number. Either the four digits or the last two digits are on all the parts I can see without taking the rifle apart. The front sight isn't like any I've seen on a Mauser rifle. The bolt handle is straight and is ahead of the rear receiver ring, which is split to allow the bolt to be removed.
The stock and finish are too nice to have not been redone. The serial number is on the stock, the underside near the sling swivel. There is a small repair to the stock just before the butt plate in the same general area of the serial number.
Possible value? I've never seen another rifle like this, are they rare in the USA? The rifle is complete including the cleaning rod.
Thanks for any info, P5 Guy
Old January 17, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2
TX15

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...uese+Vergueiro
Old January 17, 2010, 11:00 PM   #3
P5 Guy

Good Article

Thanks for the link. Any other info?
P5
Old January 17, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Nothing new but note
"So as to extend their service life, many 1904s were retrofitted with 24-inch barrels chambered for the 7.9x57 cartridge and re-baptized the 904/M39."

With the 6.5 struck through on your rifle, it sounds like you have the 8mm.
Old January 18, 2010, 12:46 PM   #5
P5 Guy

Fair Price?

Being offered for $700. That sounds high to me but having no experience with Portuguese Military surplus I don't know if that is a fair price. Considering the finish may have been redone for a 100+ year old rifle.
Old January 18, 2010, 11:39 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The ones they converted were overhauled at the time, and probably were never issued, since Portugal had enough more modern rifles for their small army. BTW, the bolt is one of those that come apart easy and go together hard.

Jim
Old January 19, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7
P5 Guy

Finish Could Be Arsenal?

Just asking. I have no pictures to post. The metal is polished and blued. The stock is oil finished.
I heard that about the bolt. I think I'm going to pass at that price. I haven't been able to find another example on the auction boards I checked. And not having any knowledge of these particular rifles.
Thanks to all for the info P5